SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 saab 9-5 with 2007 engine.

I have a high idle (1500rpm) and a p0444 evap circuit open after first starting the car. I attempted to track down a vacuum leak but could not find an obvious one. The issue was not present before the engine swap. Not sure what I am missing. Any help would be appreciated! Besides that the engine seems to run smooth.

Update idle fixed. It was a stuck cable. I still have that error code but i do not see a vacuum leak. I inspected the entire evap system in the engine bay. The only work i did was pull the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2001 saab 9-5 with 2007 engine.

I have a high idle (1500rpm) and a p0444 evap circuit open after first starting the car. I attempted to track down a vacuum leak but could not find an obvious one. The issue was not present before the engine swap. Not sure what I am missing. Any help would be appreciated! Besides that the engine seems to run smooth.

Update idle fixed. It was a stuck cable. I still have that error code but i do not see a vacuum leak. I inspected the entire evap system in the engine bay. The only work i did was pull the engine and transmission.
Still have the evap code however.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Would the 'turn on an unlit propane touch and scan the vacuum lines checking for engine rev changes' be an option?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It refers to an open electrical circuit, not to an open evap / air system.
Most propably you forgot to connect the evap valve.
Is there a wiring diagram that I can use to trace back this connector? I used my multimeter and both legs of the connecter to ground and there was no resistance. So it is definitely open. Does this plug go through the main wiring harness? It does not appear to. The line goes into the firewall.

·
Registered
596 Posts
As always, all data is available on WIS, even online.

I am not sure what you measured.

With running engine you should measure at least battery voltage (versus ground) on one side of the connector. As the engine is running and if there is no battery voltage, maybe there is broken cable between junction J18 and connector.

Measure resistance of EVAP valve, should be around 45 ohm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

With running engine you should measure at least battery voltage (versus ground) on one side of the connector. As the engine is running and if there is no battery voltage, maybe there is broken cable between junction J18 and connector.

Resistance was 45 ohms and there was a solid 12+ volts from one leg to ground. I will trace the line back and see if I have a break somewhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts

This weekend I am going to run a new ground and see if that fixes the problem. If it does I will track down the broken ground in the harness.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What ground? Evap gets ground from trionic.
Sir, do you have an 02 or newer? I have a feeling the wiring harness I used is the issue. My car is an 01 and the 04s had a different evap purge valve. If you have the newer style could you take a picture of the valves connector and the plug that connects to it?

Thank You,

Barry

·
Registered
596 Posts
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire Bumper Finger Bicycle part Automotive exterior Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design Car

2003: original wiring harness and EVAP valve.
I have no other picture of the older model available, but may remember them to be different.

e.g. random ebay search for part number:

·
Registered
97 Posts
View attachment 284478 View attachment 284479 View attachment 284480

2003: original wiring harness and EVAP valve.
I have no other picture of the older model available, but may remember them to be different.

e.g. random ebay search for part number:
They are different. The plug is completely different. I am torn between trying update the purge valve and system to the 02-04 variant or putting the other wiring harness back on now that I have repaired the j-16 connector on it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
How did you plug the connector into the EVAP valve, if they do not fit?
Why dont you just snap the short cable with the connector off and solder it to the installed wiring harness, with some glue lined heat shrink tube for water protection.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why dont you just snap the short cable with the connector off and solder it to the installed wiring harness, with some glue lined heat shrink tube for water protection.
The connector on the 01 is the standard saab type with the red slide release. The wires are against the strut tower and make there way back against the firewall.

Does the connection on your harness enter the harness in the same bubdle as the maf connector?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fixed!

I was able to splice in the newer valve from the junk yard into the existing hoses. The code did not come back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts