SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to be pretty good for the money at least on paper.

Very similar size and packaging to the 9-3 SS. We will have to wait to see how it performs in its top trim levels. Could it be a possible alternative to a "New" 9-3 that will never materialize? It is based on an Alfa Romeo.Not sure if that is good or bad.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I can tell you it's not a bad car at all. I did check one out when I was buying my new car. Can get one fully equipped at ~$26,000 sticker, before you start dealing. But I can also tell you that it definitely was not on par with 2003 and newer 9-3's, for a number of reasons. The biggest were

1.) Horrible turbo lag
2.) You'd need to go with the digital display for the gauges. The analog were genuinely hard to read.

The big positives were

1.) Brakes are vastly improved from Chrysler's past. If you've driven a Chrysler, you probably know what I mean.
2.) The display they're pushing (see number two of the bad stuff) in the advertisements really is awesome.

The Dodge is meant to be more of an entry-level, first-time owner type car and it shows, for better or for worse. It's a step in the right direction, though.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Ha! From the video (~4:00 minute mark) regarding the Alfa:
"It's also fitted with electric rear-passenger seats...although I note on this 7,000 mile example one of them already doesn't work."

Yup, it's an Alfa! (but for some reason, that still doesn't deter me from wanting one)

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Ha! From the video (~4:00 minute mark) regarding the Alfa:
"It's also fitted with electric rear-passenger seats...although I note on this 7,000 mile example one of them already doesn't work."

Yup, it's an Alfa! (but for some reason, that still doesn't deter me from wanting one)
LOL :lol:

Interestingly I never seen this video until today: "... the Saab with its supple Scottish leather and its English walnut reminds you more of a Victorian Gentlemen's Smoking Club" :lol: Haha, pass the Werther's and let go hunt some foxes. Release the hounds, I say !! :lol:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I have a Dodge Intrepid that had a great 3.5L engine and a great interior... but the transmission acted like it was made from glass.

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
2.) You'd need to go with the digital display for the gauges. The analog were genuinely hard to read.
Disagree. An analog gauge tells me rough level and rate of change, distance from low limit, and distance from upper limit without even having to actually read it. A minor glance is all that is required. A digital gauge requires reading and provides none of the other info.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Disagree. An analog gauge tells me rough level and rate of change, distance from low limit, and distance from upper limit without even having to actually read it. A minor glance is all that is required. A digital gauge requires reading and provides none of the other info.
You're right, I described it poorly. Both gauges are analog, but the actual physical gauge that comes stock with the car is significantly harder to read than any I've had to use before. I would need to upgrade to the digital display and replace the physical analog gauge with the analog gauge produced by the digital display. If I didn't upgrade, I'd very seriously be considering what I could to do replace it with an after market speedo. Sorry to link the images this way and not just host them myself, but I feel awkward doing it that way.

Digital display gauge
Stock gauge

And I'm young with good eyes. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I test drove them prior to purchasing my 07 SS Aero... I thought they were surprisingly terrible. I test drove an Auto 2.0 liter and it was one of the worst cars I've ever driven. The 6 speed 1.4liter turbo was better, but it felt like shifting with rubber bands. Terrible driving experience. Plus to get any cool kit on it you have to spend $400 a month on it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The problem is that the Saab, like most modern cars, don't have real gauges. Is the engine running at 180ºF or 220ºF? You don't know because the needle never budges from exact center unless it's out of normal operating range. Same thing with the boost needle: is the middle point of the gauge 3psi, 6psi, or 8psi? That's one reason I installed a Scangauge almost immediately, and figured out how to program a boost gauge. Now I know if it is pulling vacuum, or hitting 3 psi, 8 psi, 10 psi, or on the very rare day, peaking at 12psi.

You're right though: analog gauges are great because you can read them via peripheral vision; you don't even need to glance away from the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stock gauge

And I'm young with good eyes. :(
Wow, that gauge is horrible, I still haven't figured it out lol.

And I also looked at a Dart before purchasing the Aero, it had all the options, navigation, leather, etc. The paint, fit & finish, materials were lacking. I consider the car to be the new Dodge Neon. But as stated you can get a fully loaded one for $25k or maybe even less, so can't complain. The R/T looks decent.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
The problem is that the Saab, like most modern cars, don't have real gauges. Is the engine running at 180ºF or 220ºF? You don't know because the needle never budges from exact center unless it's out of normal operating range. Same thing with the boost needle: is the middle point of the gauge 3psi, 6psi, or 8psi? That's one reason I installed a Scangauge almost immediately, and figured out how to program a boost gauge. Now I know if it is pulling vacuum, or hitting 3 psi, 8 psi, 10 psi, or on the very rare day, peaking at 12psi.

You're right though: analog gauges are great because you can read them via peripheral vision; you don't even need to glance away from the road.

"Now is that sayin' 3psi, 6psi or 8psi ????"
:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
A classic Australian advert from 1992 ......."No, not the Dart!" Even though its an AUstralian ad, due to his broad Scottish accent, I haven't clue what he says first to his wife about what is wrong with his Goggomobil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
SaabKen
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing