SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I'm getting a bit frustrated. I just had my DI cassette replaced, and the new software to lengthen my DI life. NOW my car is idling poorly and has stalled once because of it. I had thought it was the AC clutch freezing (I drive it in in ECON mode because the compressor is due to be replaced on wednesday)

But I got a check engine light this weekend for a misfire and a fuel/air system fault. Sounds to me like the DI replacement caused this, but I can't be sure. What could still be screwed up? I had my plugs replaced 15k ago.. could the rich condition caused when the DI failed have killed them?

The Viggen and I are fighting. If I get left on the side of the highway again, I'm gonna start stopping at yellow lights in hopes that a RI'er will total the thing. It's only a matter of time in this state :evil:

·
Registered
642 Posts
bring it back , there was obviously more to it than they thought, make sure they check the Idle Air Controller and the Throttle Body, also it may just be a simple VAc line. was this a stealership or an indy?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
AFAIK, on the ng900, the plugs were supposed to be replaced with the DI cassette, for some reason related to the T5. Not sure if that applies to the black DIC.

Aside from that, if the old DIC was not firing properly, the engine could have been running rich, plugs could be fouled, and front O2 sensor life shortened.

I only left the 6-series plugs in for 30k once (I was swapping different sets around, and the wrong set was left in). They did work, but from the looks of them, I would say that a 30k life is optimistic.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'd love to take it back... Unfortunately, they are located 4 hours and 20 minutes away, in Montpelier,VT. I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm not confident they'll do anything unless I can bring it back to them.

I'll get some of that dielectric grease and look at the plugs. I keep thinking I didnt put too many miles on these new plugs, but they were replaced at 54k and I now have 75k.. So it makes sense, especially with their hard life (living near the ocean on a tiny island with me driving), that they are about ready for replacement.

Thanks guys, Any other suggestions are very welcome. Somehow I already feel less frustrated :)

BTW it was a Stealer... I'm leaning torwards going the indy route from now on, though... Dealers charge too much, and I have not yet seen a palpable advantage to using them, except that they know about recalls and can do software updates.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
PMI said:
AFAIK, on the ng900, the plugs were supposed to be replaced with the DI cassette, for some reason related to the T5. Not sure if that applies to the black DIC.

Aside from that, if the old DIC was not firing properly, the engine could have been running rich, plugs could be fouled, and front O2 sensor life shortened.

I only left the 6-series plugs in for 30k once (I was swapping different sets around, and the wrong set was left in). They did work, but from the looks of them, I would say that a 30k life is optimistic.

The plug does look worn, but I would regap and continue to use it( for my car)..
Were this a customer's car I would replace it, he would be in good shape for another 30,000 miles.

Also, the idle air control should have been serviced before changing the DI..
$40 long before $400 !!

I think the internal resistance changes when a DI start to go south, also that this can be measured.
This measurement can take place in the newer cars computer systems and the driver can be alerted.. This for the year 2010..

Right now, an automotive computer's primary purpose is emissions, this can easily be improved to include operating economy and relieability...
And all important motors can also be electronically monitored..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The plug does look worn, but I would regap and continue to use it( for my car)... Were this a customer's car I would replace it, he would be in good shape for another 30,000 miles.
I agree you can regap a plug, but I am reluctant to do that once they open up so much. I am sure regapping would be ok at 15k. The user's manual has nothing about even just inspecting the plugs between the 30k major service intervals. Compare this to the cabin air filter, which is supposed to be replaced every 10k!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
dont mess with it too much man... take it back it sounds to me like the software was messed up... i too had my software changed, and it gave me a lean spot higher in the rpm range... i ended up changing a bunch of parts to final fix that ****

·
Registered
483 Posts
Also just FYI T7 does not have an IAC, this is because it has an electric throttle body, so the computer just adjusts how far the throttle plate stays open to control the idle speed of the engine

·
Registered
642 Posts
WyldSaabMan said:
Also just FYI T7 does not have an IAC, this is because it has an electric throttle body, so the computer just adjusts how far the throttle plate stays open to control the idle speed of the engine
Thanks, did not know that

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ricot83 said:
dont mess with it too much man... take it back it sounds to me like the software was messed up... i too had my software changed, and it gave me a lean spot higher in the rpm range... i ended up changing a bunch of parts to final fix that ****
Really? Would you have noticed it had you not put an A/F meter on the car (I assume with all the mods you have done that you have one of those?) Do you think it's because of the extensive intake/exhaust mods you have done? I would think that this software would have been tested pretty well by SAAB, and if it was loaded incorrectly that the car wouldnt run at all.

I understand taht the IAC should be checked before DI in many cases, but the Idle Air certainly wasnt a problem in fourth gear with my foot to the floor when my car died. It also wasnt causing the large amounts of smoke to rise from my DI cassette :D

PS I dont know if this is always the case, but I left my key in the 'on' position while the car was being pulled onto the tow truck, and somke started POURING out of my hood. So, kids, please remember to leave your cars off if the DI cassette fails! Some amount of voltage is sent through the di even if the car is not running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts