SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

There has been a lot about DI Units failing on this forum and indeed I've joined in, even adding to the Poll at the top of the page.

Well, after being told by the AA mechanic that he was 95% sure that my DI Unit had failed and the other 5% pointed at the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I went ahead and replaced the DIU.

Obviously, from the title of this thread, that didn't fix the problem. Not even attempting to fire when turned over. OK, so that left the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Ordered a new one, (the expensive Bosch Unit!), and fitted that. Looking forward to a working car once more.

Nope! Not that either. So, so far I'd spent £275 ($500) on worthless fixes. At the end my tether (and my holiday) I have to go back to work, so am out of the country again. I leave my wife to get the car lifted to a local (non franchise Saab specialist - or at least he used to be, but since setting up on his own doesn't have the Tech II, or whatever.) He's had to have it transported again to another guy with the Tech II to diagnose the problem. At least he's checked all the connections, hoses etc. He figures it's either a software problem in the computer (I assume that's the ECU) or the computer itself has failed, which'll be another £500-ish.

Without the Tech II (or whatever) he admits that he would have resorted to the same replacements that I've already done, so not to feel too bad. And I'm glad it isn't just a vacuum hose costing a couple of quid, not from the financial point of view obviously, just the embarrasment factor of it being something so cheap after laying out the money on the more expensive items first!

Anyway, the car is now at another garage being diagnosed, but it's the weekend and I won't know the results 'til after I get back from Bangkok on Sunday.

The point of this thread is to say - don't just assume it's the DI Unit. It's definitely worth finding a garage with the right diagnostic tools - it may save you a few quid (dollars) in the long run. I thought I was being smart, following the lead of the AA chap and doing the work myself - after all, why pay garage prices to get them to fix an 'obvious' problem?

Anyway, my used DI Unit and Crankshaft sensor will be in the classifieds soon enough.

ATB,

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
MudMover said:
Anyway, my used DI Unit and Crankshaft sensor will be in the classifieds soon enough.
If you can afford it, I'd hold onto the old DI. Throw it in your boot. When the new one fails many many many thousands of miles down the road it may save you a lift from the AA guy when you pull your old one out and swap right at the scene.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An Update

Hi Guys,

Just had the news from the Saab specialist diagnosing what is wrong with my '96 900.

Apparently the immobiliser control unit has packed up and is immobilising the car - permanently!! :suprised;

They are hoping to source a unit from a donor vehicle and have it sorted in the next few days. :D

What a pain, but at least I can console myself with knowing that I would 'Never' have diagnosed that by myself. ;oops:

Anyone else had a similar problem? Is it as easy to sort out as they think?

ATB,

Phil
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top