SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i had a new drivers side (rhd)front coil spring fitted after the old one snapped.... and now the car is pulling to the left. i'm driving the same roads as before, but car seems more sensitive to the road camber.
i am planning on getting the other spring done as soon as i can.

Could this pull be due to the older passenger front spring being weaker?

thanks yet again... anyone

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Yes, that is your problem.

Springs and dampers need to be replaced in matched pairs. Even the factory has to match pairs of springs due to manufacturing tolerances. Replacing the other spring later will improve your situation but likely not cure it. If you can you should see if the supplier of that one spring has the other matching one and buy it.

Springs with different characteristics lead to different ride height as well as some odd handling over bumps and round bends.

You have correctly noted the camber effect. All independent suspension systems cause the wheel to change camber with suspension deflection. The new spring will be slightly longer (uncompressed) and stronger than the used spring so the ride height will be different left to right. This means the one wheel swings through a different arc than the other leading to camber thrust across the chassis. With adjustable camber this could be compensated for by an alignment but SAAB 9000 uses McPherson struts which have fixed camber. It is possible but not recommended to introduce a camber adjustment by elongating the strut mounting holes and sliding the top of the strut inwards or outwards. If you do this then it can go out of adjustment also and so alignments will be required more frequently. In my experience McPherson struts hardly ever require any alignment, even the toe remains robustly within spec over long mileages.

Ride height can be checked with a tape measure with the car on a perfectly flat and level surface. Measure from the ground to the highest point in edge the fender well (top of the wheel opening in the wing) on each side. My guess is you'll find that the left side (old spring) is half an inch shorter than the right side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that detailed reply..really appreciate it.
the place i got the repair done could only get hold of one spring.... he can get one from another supplier but now i see that is not ideal, as it wont be a match.
i'm hoping then, that if i go ahead and get the other side done at least it should improve things.
i will check the ride heights tomorrow... i did notice the pulling was worse when i had passengers in the car.
thanks again for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts