SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my clutch is begining to slip so its looking like im going to need one here soon... basically my plan is to only go stg4 being a tdo4-15t and all of my other upgrades w/ the software... would a viggen clutch hold up or should i go with a stg2 from GS? viggen clutch set up is obviously cheaper... but if i run the risk of killing it i'd rather go with the spec stg2... i still have a cable clutch with no plans on upgrading... so please feel free to give me your opinions... thanx

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Since the clutch job is a big one, go for one that will hold no matter what you do in the future and that would be the spec stage 3. I know someone else broke a stage 2 clutch, but it was probably a fluke.

I have been running the viggen pressure plate with spec stage 3 6-puck disk for almost a year and half with the cable. The cable lasted 8 months. I carry around a new on in my car in case it ever fails. I had it switched out in about 25 minutes.

Even the stock clutch can break the cable. I might try that nissan sentra clutch cable. I hear its a better design and does not break and just needs a slight mod to make it fit

John

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
There was a post a while back on it and a search might find it, but it was around a 1991-1993 nissan sentra clutch cable. It will fit and is the same length and there is one slight mod on the part that attaches to the transmission housing. Supposed to be pretty easy and since the clutch cable does not have the design flaw, it should not break.

John

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Ok, employee cost is about $40 on them, one is for the first year or so of the build 91. The other is for the later of the same chassis. I'll order one up and compare with the spare adj. one I have for the 900.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I want to try one, so let us know if it looks right and you get it to work. I brought the saab oe cable to nissan for comparison, but they did not have any in stock and would only order one if I bought it first. I want to make sure I get the right year. Let us know, John

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yes, please do. I'll be damned if mine snaps in the middle of rush hour, in the middle lane, on one of Kansas City's busier highways again.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Yea, that is the whole problem, you never know when she's gonna blow;) If you got stuck on a bridge or a busy highway, that would really suck. I had to do mine on a busy 4 lane highway with trucks blazing by at 65mph... It was kind of scary... My legs are hanging out the drivers side window as I climb under the dash to release the old broken cable from the pedal... I guess it does kind of suck to have to do one on the road...

I figured it was better than a 100.00 tow though...

John

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Here's a bit of "advice"

You can make a clutch "go further" by lowering the area of the contact-patch.
The same clamping force over a smaller pad makes each pad's "strength" greater. If you're concerned about a higher clamping force snapping the cables. get a viggen, or even stock, but get a 6-puck.

The only downside, is that 6-pucks are a little less fraffic-friendly then full-face/organic clutches.

Good luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts