SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new clutch kit arrived today...and it's a lot different the one I pulled out...the old one is a Sachs...the new one is Beck Arnely part#061-9228 3piece kit. Is this gonna work?

The release bearing that came with the kit snaps on the new slave I bought, unless I have the rubber sleeve on....does that matter?....or will it extend out and snap on once I install the slave?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
my new sachs clutch looks identical to that one, so you should be fine :confused: my clutch is working GREAT!

EDIT: and my old one looked like your old one, lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...that's good to know...when I did my '89's clutch it was an identical match to the old part....so this one had me a little worried...all the holes match up to the flywheel so that's a good sign...:cheesy:....wonder if this was just a design change or if this is a different style of clutch...ie...different performance?

·
Registered
230 Posts
clutch differences

OK -- I believe that all clutches on the c900's up until 89 are interchangeable (ie turbo and nonturbo). But in 1990, the clutches changed (and flywheel) to a more robust 9000 style clutch.

I think you're OK with that new one as I recall that the designs changed throughout the years on the earlier clutches... but that new one might be for a later (90+) car. But since it bolts up to the flywheel maybe not.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nashvegas said:
but that new one might be for a later (90+) car. But since it bolts up to the flywheel maybe not.
Well...this is for a '92 n/a...it does bolt up to the flywheel fine...I havn't had time to put it together yet today...was kinda waiting unitl I had some feedback that it would be ok....I've crossreferenced the part number and everything I search for online shows that as a correct part number.

I will say the new clutch kit doesn't seem as beefy as the old one...a tad bid narrower and the spring fingers seem wimpy compared to the old one I pulled off

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The diameter looks smaller - is your car a turbo?

Turbos have bigger clutches - they are NOT the same up until '89.

·
Registered
230 Posts
clutches on all N/A and Turbos up to 89 interchange

not my understanding and experience. c900 clutches up to and including 1989, both N/A and turbo, are totally and completely interchangeable. In fact, only one part is available for replacements. I'm talking 83+ cars here... the 79-81 turbo cars I think had something different in there, I changed one once and was surprised at what I found.

In 1990, turbos got beefed up, ie 9000, flywheels and clutches. But the non turbo 1990-1993 (94cv) cars still had the older style clutch

·
Registered
392 Posts
The sachs friction disc was bigger in diameter then the janked one made by valeo that I just pulled out (which is a good thing). Due to the different shape of the spring fingers I found that the sachs pressure plate was easier to install. Seemed like it took less effort to get the fingers compressed then the beck one. I was using the method that entails three bolts and nuts and a lot of patience. I think the reason for the change may be for a cheaper part. Those notches and the bent spring fingers on the beck pressure plate are an unnecessary added feature. Which means an extra mfg step which = more monies. I've put about 500 miles on mah new slave, release, and clutch with flawless performance.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
nashvegas - "...83+..." is very different from "...up to and including 89...!!"

My experience was with my '82T and a friend's '84T - he got the parts for that one, though - maybe they were all the same by then.

The (dealer) parts guy I got my second replacement clutch (I had the car for 190,000 mi) from was pretty embarrassed when I came back to him after a wasted weekend to exchange the smaller-diameter NA clutch he sold me for the proper unit (no extra charge, BTW)!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aznsaab said:
Those notches and the bent spring fingers on the beck pressure plate are an unnecessary added feature.
The notched and bent spring fingers actually belong to the sachs kit...the beck one has smooth fingers and no notches...at the top of this post...on the pic, the one on the right (the original one) is a Sachs kit, the one on the left (the new one) is the Beck.

I'm not gonna have time to finish this job before the weekend....damn daylight savings time;oops:...but once I put it all back together I'll post on how it works....I'm gonna have to make a new ring to hold the fingers back, I don't think my copper wire one is gonna work on the Beck and I'm hoping my slave/throughout bearing combo is gonna work...didn't those change designs somewhere along the way?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is interesting....

I just studied my new pressure plate, only things written on it are "Made in Great Britain" and "QY13039"..but it came in a Beck Arnely box..it looks pretty much identical to the Sachs you have pictured.

My old one had Sachs on the friction disk and "Made in England" and "3JR0038" on the pressure plate...so I assumed it was a Sachs...I could be wrong

As long as it works properly is what I'm most concerned about....This will be my 3rd 900 clutch I've done myself and this is the first time I've used one of this design type....the other two I've done were both the bent finger/notched type.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so...the new clutch is in...seems to work fine...it is a bit lighter than the old one...well...a lot lighter actually...but all gears engage well and it catches about midway closer to the floor....so all in all guess I was worried about nothing:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts