SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced my "self adjusting" clutch cable with a manual one from napa. it was 30 bucks and i've never had a better feeling clutch. it looks identical, but has a manual adjust. i highly recomend the change if your looking for a better cable, and don't want to go hydrolic.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
telreranreoid said:
i just replaced my "self adjusting" clutch cable with a manual one from NAPA. it was 30 bucks and I've never had a better feeling clutch. it looks identical, but has a manual adjust. i highly recommend the change if your looking for a better cable, and don't want to go hydrolic.
A slight difference between $30 (plus installation -one hour?) and $900 plus for the hydraulic retrofit.
And only $1.50 ($15.00 in todays money) to do the adjustment every 5 to 10,000 miles....
Probably the same cable that is in the Vaux-Opel and others ???.
GM is good that this...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't know if its the same as a vauxhall.... it's just the napa brand. it was about 15 mins for instalation. i never looked up the price for the stock cable. but it has to be substantialy more. and i'm a big fan of adjusting the cable how i want it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Part number, please!

Wow 15 minutes is really hauling, unless you use a crowbar on the underdash panels!

telreranreoid said:
i don't know if its the same as a vauxhall.... it's just the napa brand. it was about 15 mins for instalation. i never looked up the price for the stock cable. but it has to be substantialy more. and i'm a big fan of adjusting the cable how i want it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know the part number sorry haha just ask for a clutch cable off a saab 900. the whole underpart of the dash comes out in 5 mins. i've done that enough lately for my boost gauge installs. haha.then you just unhook the old one and put the new one in. then adjust it. it works awsome.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just went to NAPA online and they list two - a Belkamp (which is I think their house brand?) BK6151916 for $38.99 and a Beck Arnley BA 0930652 for $44.99. The picture of the BK looks exactly like a SAAB cable, in fact I think you can read the SAAB logo on it. No picture of the Beck Arnley.

BTW, if the BK one really is genuine SAAB that's a good deal for a stock cable, but I wish I knew what yours was.

telreranreoid said:
i don't know the part number sorry haha just ask for a clutch cable off a saab 900. the whole underpart of the dash comes out in 5 mins. i've done that enough lately for my boost gauge installs. haha.then you just unhook the old one and put the new one in. then adjust it. it works awsome.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Good to hear your car is back in action mike. You gonna come down to guru's house on sat the 25th for the bar-b-que meet?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll look more into what the part number on my cable is. im pretty sure that it's the first one. the 38 doller one. and yeah stromer she's back and better then ever! now that i have it all fixed, i can start puting money into making it faster!!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
telreranreoid said:
then you just unhook the old one and put the new one in. then adjust it. it works awsome.
Oh right, just slap the new one onto that hook. Thats the hardest part.. it took me forever to get it over that hook, and its terribly uncomfortable to be down there
:roll:

·
Registered
122 Posts
So I was driving along yesterday, and noticed a NAPA store. I stopped and asked about a cable for my car. The guy looked and looked and looked and said "sorry we don't list one". I said try again, I was just one the NAPA site and there were two. He looked some more, got down the Belkamp book, and finally said "It lists one but its special order, from Beck Arnley."

Unfortunately I hadn't known I'd be going their, and hadn't bought the numbers I found on line that I posted here, so that was all I could learn.

It sure would be nice if you could find the number for yours - if you don't have any paper, you could call the store and ask them what they sold you, and win the gratitude of many on this list.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i dug threw my dad's garage and my car and my apartment and i found the box. the number is 615-1916.

i've had it in for a week, and so far i love it. well for a cable clutch. :D

hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
That's the Belkamp clutch cable listed in Napa online, BK 615916

Can't see the part that adjusts the length, I assume it is in the middle like the Scantech cable?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's just out of view. theres two nuts one that you adjust and one you clamp it with. so far i'm quite happy with it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks! We appreciate the effort!

BTW the picture someone posted from the NAPA site supposedly of the Belkamp cable sure looks like a stock Saab cable (and I just happen to have one lying on my deskfir comparison), right down to the Saab logo and part #. Can't imagine they'd be modifying stock cables and selling them for that price so I suspect they swiped the picture.

Oh hey, reason I have one on my desk is I installed one as preventive maintenance on my daughters car last summer, which broke 5000 miles later. I mentioned it to the service manager at the local Saab dealer, and he said "I hope she saved it - Saab warantees all parts for a year. As it happens, she had, so I took it in the other day and they gave me a new one, which next time I see her will go into her trunk as a spare. They needed the VIN number , mileage and reciept.

telreranreoid said:
so i dug threw my dad's garage and my car and my apartment and i found the box. the number is 615-1916.

i've had it in for a week, and so far i love it. well for a cable clutch. :D

hope that helps.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I just got my Napa clutch cable installed (same part number others have listed), and it works great! It's a big improvement over the Scantech cable, although I don't know why, since they're virtually identical. The Napa one is smoother, and it takes less force to push down the pedal. It feels about the same as the Saab cable, but now I don't have to worry about that horrible adjuster hanging up on me! :cheesy: I took a picture of all three clutch cables side by side, which I'll post tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks to all for the info! Man this is a great thread. I am curently not having any problems with my clutch cable, but need to replace my clutch soon so I will certainly want to swap to this napa manually adjusted cable when I do.

Thanks again! Great info!

Tboy

·
Registered
122 Posts
Buy it NOW. And put it in your trunk along with the coat hanger hook tool, and instructions for replacing it.

You know I just thought of another advantage of the self adjusting one. When your cable breaks the first time, you can alway put another on and at least get where you are going. But with the self adjusting cables, once they have been adjusted for an old clutch they cannot be reliably readjusted for a new on, so you have to buy a new one when you do replace the clutch, which leaves you with a perfectly good but useless $50 cable. With the manual adjuster, you can just undo/do it as necessary. That makes a manual one a much better trunk spare.

Tboy said:
Thanks to all for the info! Man this is a great thread. I am curently not having any problems with my clutch cable, but need to replace my clutch soon so I will certainly want to swap to this napa manually adjusted cable when I do.

Thanks again! Great info!

Tboy

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Here's a picture of all three clutch cables that I know of for our cars. From top to bottom they're the factory Saab cable, Napa Balkamp 615-1916 cable, and the ScanTech cable. The Napa and ScanTech cable use virtually the same plastic adjuster, and share the same problem where the rubber sleeve below the adjuster is too low for the metal clamp to hook it. It doesn't seem to be a problem, though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts