SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Saab and nothing is wrong with it. I went to my VW dealer 2 days ago and they have a 2012 Passat, white on tan (which is one of my favorite color combos) leather, navi, 17 inch wheels. I fell in love when I saw it and its like a girl I can't stop thinking about it. Pros: VW and everything about the car. Cons: I own the Saab but I would be leasing the VW it and I have to give it back. I'm 23 and can afford it and want to get at least one new car while I'm still young. Like I said, my Saab runs great, too great. I don't want to jinx it but eventually something will break. The VW everything is new. What do you guys think. (Went to Saab and tried to get a 9-5 but you can't lease Saab's) Attached is a pic of a similar Passat.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
VWs exist to make Saab owners feel that their cars don't require much maintenance. I have known many owners of a VW but no owners of 2 in a row. A good friend wanted to set her Jetta on fire, but it set itself on fire eventually.

Fortunately, VW, in a feat of infinite German engineering, managed to find a way for the near-infinite electrical shorts in the ignition system to reduce the inevitable engine sludge---replacing ignition coils is thus much like changing the oil in a VW.

But seriously, car buying isn't a rational thing---buy what you love and enjoy driving it regardless of what random forum people think. ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Personally I would never buy a new car ever again. Especially a lease. You pay all that money and then you give the car back in 2-3 years. What a waste. Why not buy one that's a couple years old and has already lost 30-40% of it's value? Then in a few years you own the car free and clear.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I quite like the new Passat's and a I don't think VWs deserve the reputation that they get, but like billm said, don't lease the car, it makes no financial sense. Pay cash if you can, take out a loan if you have to.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
A word of advice, if you can't pay cash for anything other than a house or a business then you cannot afford it.

This whole world of leasing and borrowing money to buy cars is quite the scam.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
That Passat in definitely no Saab. I just rented one last week while in Houston. While a nice driving and shifting car along with nice looks it's just a Camry or Accord (if that good). The 5 cylinder is a joke as well--a 30 old engine from an Audi 100--wtf!

Check out the outer door panels--they are flimsy as hell. The gas mileage is a joke as well--only 31 mpg on the highway vs. 35 with a Camry, Sonata, or Optima. The new Altima is going to get 38 mpg on the highway I hear.

Go and get and purchase a new Saab--don't bother "renting", or should I say leasing, a new VW. The 8 year old Saab is better than a new VW Passat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went for it. I want to be able to say I had one brand new car, because I will probably never lease a new car again until I'm much older. I have a steady job and I'm making enough money now where I can lease it and it doesn't effect me. Everyone has their opinion, but I don't like the curvy shapes of all these new Hyundai's and Kia's. I wanted a Volvo but they became to round. As for the motor, I did get the 2.5 and of course I would love a V6 but I live in NYC and the fastest I go is 40 anyway so I figured why spend extra money when I can't even use the power. If I lived someplace where I had an hour commute on a clear highway no way would I get a 4 banger. I didn't think it was that slow either felt just like the Saab. Its just so nice to get into a car thats tight as a rock and be able to smell that new car smell even though its for a few weeks. And yes its a lease and I have to give it back but I'll buy used 9-5 in 3 years. I love my Saab and I am sad to see it go, but I am selling it to my best friend so Ill see it everyday. Here she is in the showroom still.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I went for it. I want to be able to say I had one brand new car, because I will probably never lease a new car again until I'm much older. I have a steady job and I'm making enough money now where I can lease it and it doesn't effect me. Everyone has their opinion, but I don't like the curvy shapes of all these new Hyundai's and Kia's. I wanted a Volvo but they became to round. As for the motor, I did get the 2.5 and of course I would love a V6 but I live in NYC and the fastest I go is 40 anyway so I figured why spend extra money when I can't even use the power. If I lived someplace where I had an hour commute on a clear highway no way would I get a 4 banger. I didn't think it was that slow either felt just like the Saab. Its just so nice to get into a car thats tight as a rock and be able to smell that new car smell even though its for a few weeks. And yes its a lease and I have to give it back but I'll buy used 9-5 in 3 years. I love my Saab and I am sad to see it go, but I am selling it to my best friend so Ill see it everyday. Here she is in the showroom still.

Well congrats! I'm sure it will be a good car. And yes the car seems to be pretty peppy up to about 40 mph then dies down so in your environment it should be just fine.
And make sure you visit Passatworld and VWvortex as they are both good forums.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
5 cyl? I thought they ran the 2T?
In order to shave costs they went with the most basic engine on the market. An iron block (when was the last time you've heard of that), no direct injection, no turbo, no variable timing, or anything on this engine.
It's basically the 30 year old Audi 100 and 5000 engine of the 80's.

VW said in order to put in the excellent 2.0 Direct injection turbo would cost at least another $2200:eek:
They did everything they could to get the car at an entry level price under $20,000 which they did.

This car is a basically a nice Chevy Impala and not even on par with a Honda Accord. VW's stated goal is to go mainstream and be a volume car maker, not a quality German vehicle as with the past Passat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you own a house?
No, but I don't live with my parents and I don't rent.

Cosmicflash, I wholesale cars. I have been going for 7 years twice a week to auto auction to buy and sell car. I sell on average 15 cars a week. Thats just under 5700 cars. And thats just going to the auction, not including working at my fathers repair shop. I think Ive driven more cars at the age of 23 then everyone who posted to this thread combined. I posted on here because I wanted to see what other people though. It's always good to hear what other people have to say. But half of you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Comparing a 2012 Camry or Accord to my Passat? Yes, same price range, but the build quality, ride, look, feel, handling of the VW can't compare to a Camry or Accord. What is a 9-3 then? Its a Chevy Malibu with a Cobalt SS engine. I will forever love Saab, but which company is still around? Go and drive a few thousand cars then come back to me. Until then, you don't know anything about cars. Thanks for all the help guys and you can catch me at VWVortex.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

Cosmicflash, I wholesale cars. I have been going for 7 years twice a week to auto auction to buy and sell car. I sell on average 15 cars a week. Thats just under 5700 cars. And thats just going to the auction, not including working at my fathers repair shop. I think Ive driven more cars at the age of 23 then everyone who posted to this thread combined. I posted on here because I wanted to see what other people though. It's always good to hear what other people have to say. But half of you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Comparing a 2012 Camry or Accord to my Passat? Yes, same price range, but the build quality, ride, look, feel, handling of the VW can't compare to a Camry or Accord. What is a 9-3 then? Its a Chevy Malibu with a Cobalt SS engine. I will forever love Saab, but which company is still around? Go and drive a few thousand cars then come back to me. Until then, you don't know anything about cars. Thanks for all the help guys and you can catch me at VWVortex.
I'm late getting in on this thread but I'll throw in my $.02. Not too sure why you'd lease the car, not the best investment but hey, who am I to tell you how to spend your money? I'd agree that the Passat is better looking but the feel, handling, and performance of the aforementioned cars are much better. Not to mention the build quality. I don't understand how an American made Passat can be that much better than an Accord or Camry in the build quality dept. Must be all of the "German Engineering" BS. Reminds me of my buddy who was raving about his base Jetta, only to be silenced by learning it was built in Mexico. These kinds of questions posted on the internet always garner answers that the OP gets annoyed by, you don't need to reply to a condescending post by an equally condescending post. Anyways, enjoy your new car, it sure is fun owning a car who's brand actually exists:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
A word of advice, if you can't pay cash for anything other than a house or a business then you cannot afford it.

This whole world of leasing and borrowing money to buy cars is quite the scam.
Wow, depends on the circumstances. I always lease my cars. I am in the top tax bracket and with a novated lease, my wife gets to drive the car but most of the costs come off my pre-tax income leaving me with a big smile on my face ;ol;

Agree with other people though, do not buy new. But if you need to do it once in your life, that is understandable. Otherwise, let some other poor bugger lose the 30 to 40 percent in the first year! I am always trawling the ads for good deals, they often pop up, especially now with Saabs where people are unsure about how to price them given all the uncertainty. Good luck with which ever way you go. Sounds like you have any interesting job there!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Wow, depends on the circumstances. I always lease my cars. I am in the top tax bracket and with a novated lease, my wife gets to drive the car but most of the costs come off my pre-tax income leaving me with a big smile on my face ;ol;

Agree with other people though, do not buy new. But if you need to do it once in your life, that is understandable. Otherwise, let some other poor bugger lose the 30 to 40 percent in the first year! I am always trawling the ads for good deals, they often pop up, especially now with Saabs where people are unsure about how to price them given all the uncertainty. Good luck with which ever way you go. Sounds like you have any interesting job there!
I suppose leasing in some situations isnt a bad move at all. I was assuming that even though the OP has a decent income, he's still only 23 and probably not quite fully established.

You absolutely nailed it as far as buying used goes. I'm laughing at what I paid for my Ovlov!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I suppose leasing in some situations isnt a bad move at all. I was assuming that even though the OP has a decent income, he's still only 23 and probably not quite fully established.

You absolutely nailed it as far as buying used goes. I'm laughing at what I paid for my Ovlov!
Yes, I think I good deal on my last BAAS as well - u speaking Canadian again!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

. What is a 9-3 then? Its a Chevy Malibu with a Cobalt SS engine. I will forever love Saab, but which company is still around? Go and drive a few thousand cars then come back to me. Until then, you don't know anything about cars. Thanks for all the help guys and you can catch me at VWVortex.
???? No, a Cobalt has a 9-3 engine and a Malibu may have the same chassis as a 9-3 but not the same supension. SAAB may have used the same GM parts bin but as with any good chef vs. a line cook made a much better dish. And VW has sold its German soul for sales.

That you have driven more cars than many of us doesn't mean you have perspective. You've just driven a lot of cars.

The marketplace is cruel. The fact McDonalds caters to the masses doesn't make it fine cuisine. SAAB was/is a fine car. I can buy a 2008 SAAB 9-3 SprotCombi for $7000 less than a used 3 series BMW wagon.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a Jetta 5 spd with the like idk what it is actually i think it's the 2.0 N/a engine. But it's a good car. Comfortable to drive on long trips. For having less power and car than the 9-3 it doesn't get the gas mileage though thanks to the 6 speed tranny. I HATE VW when there is a short, which is often. You end up spending months with a voltmeter to replace something like a relay under the dash... ugggghhhh. The summer days waisted. Other than that they're a great commuter car.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's different, it's essentially a business expense. I am talking about Joe consumer spending $400 a month for three years then handing the key back.

To the OP, get out of that lease right away, buy a regular run about and buy a house. They are dirt cheap so set yourself up in life.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts