SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to re-introduce myself to everyone at SaabCentral. For the past year or so, I have been driving around a Jeep Wrangler, lifted with 33s on it. Ever since I sold my 9000, I have missed it. This has gone so far as me putting 9000 power and heated seats into my Jeep. There was just something about that car, even though upkeep was so expensive. I miss the ability to just drive and not worry about using the amount of gas that 10 mpg does.

My 95' 9000 cse was my first car, and thus I made a lot of mistakes in servicing it, and also tuning it. I also learned alot about working on cars in general. I had tuned it to the boost cutoff with an MBC and a boost gage and was running around 18 psi of boost by the end of it. I blew two headgaskets and a transmission running this. This time I want to do it right.

I believe that cars are meant to be driven, and I do not take it easy on any car I drive. I have been looking at 9-5s and will be buying one in december. I have 8k to spend, so that gives me an aero with over 100k or something else with a little less. I was wondering, which model with what transmission would hold up best to my more "spirited" driving, and maybe a stage 1 or 2 upgrade. I probably wouldnt go any higher than that but... you never know. Also, will my driving habits help the sludge problem or hinder it?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
9000freak said:
I believe that cars are meant to be driven, and I do not take it easy on any car I drive. I have been looking at 9-5s and will be buying one in december. I have 8k to spend, so that gives me an aero with over 100k or something else with a little less. I was wondering, which model with what transmission would hold up best to my more "spirited" driving, and maybe a stage 1 or 2 upgrade. I probably wouldnt go any higher than that but... you never know. Also, will my driving habits help the sludge problem or hinder it?
  • Aero's should be less sludge prone due to having been specified fully synthetic oil since birth (asssuming its been done properly)
  • I would drop the sump on any used 9-5 I bought ;)
  • You cant get a stage 1 for an aero but a stage 2 plus a decent intercooler is a good start.
  • If you like to "drive" you need a manual (also tunable to a higher level) - if you are happy for the car to "drive" get the auto
  • At 100k the suspension is likely to be worn, same with brakes so as you will want to upgrade these at some point, another option is a nice 2.3 (rather than the Aero) which you can tune above and beyond aero levels............

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
9000freak said:
Is there any way to know it is sludged up without dropping the sump?
No.....not really.

If you get a car with a perfect oil change history using Synthetic, and oil changed every 6,000miles or less the chance of sludge is heavily reduced. Higher Miles in general means more freeway use and sludge rarely forms at operating temps. SHort trips in cold damp climates (the UK) will greatly increase the risk of sludge.

THe Aero is believed to be less prone to sludge, they also have a more durable turbo. THe extra money for the Aero is worth it, they are just better equipped and come standard with the cool 17inch wheels, body kit, and that "I feel special factor"....haha.

I drove like 6 or 7 9-5s before I recently purchased my 2001 Aero.

Note:

Saab can't build a half decent manual trans, theys till suffer from difficult gear engagement and slop in the gearstick. I have owned several C900s and a 9000, the smoothest shifting has been my 87' Convertible.

THe power delivery in the Automatic Aero is smooth and much quicker unless you like to slam gear in the standard. Saab did improve thier Automatic over the years from the C900 (which is awful) and it is plenty of fun too.

I still think that I might one day end up with an MT Aero; however, I drive in the city and have an MT 900 so I'am very happy with my Automatic.

I also found the 9-5 to be dissapointing after having driven 9000s and owned many c900s. THe car grows on you quickly once you have owned one for a while and you discover the 9-5 has unique traits; however, it has mroe in common with a Pontiac Grand Prix in feel than an Older Saab.

I quickly learned that like other Saabs, much of the confidence in a Saab has to come from a good service history when buying used. My 124,500 mile 9-5 Aero is much nicer than many 60,000km 9-5s with questionable history. THe stock suspension on the Aero is much better than the base and SE 9-5. If the shocks have been replaced (which by 120,000 they should have) then the Aero is great again. I have Bilsteins in mine and the car is very nice to drive, I like a stiff ride:cool:

I used to hate the 9-5; however, get a good one and the car grows on you soooooo much. SOmething no older Saab can do is that instant power delivery of the 9-5, the car just feels so fast! It is also easier to drive in more ways than 1, and the style is quite nice, except in the rear.

I bought my 2001 Aero for $7,350 USD, $7,154CND at the time and imported it in to Canada to save money. FOr $8k you can get a nice 00'-01 Aero with 100,000mi and a good service history; while still having some cash left over to pay for the first expensive/frequent fillups. No really, I burned $120 of gas in 1 week and was getting about 12mpg. Now I get about 17MPG with 20% freeway use and the rest in town, not bad. I drive mine SPORTY; however, no like a teenager, I'm 20 as of yesterday.....time to cool down:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts