SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a NG900 yesterday for the princely sum of £720 (1995 M plate).

Few questions/problems:

The gears are quite odd - first off, it won't easily move into reverse, I have to change to third and then into reverse - what is the problem here?

Also, there doesn't seem to be anything limiting the movement of the gearstick, fifth gear is in the middle of a big empty space - why?

The rear brakes need replacing - a job I will do, but when I jacked the car up I noticed that the rubber mounting underneath the rear spring is completely knackered - where can I get one (most likely at least two!) of these from?

Cheers guys, trying to learn the mechanics of a new car (have always owned Fords so this Swedish technology/build quality is a bit of a mystery to me!)

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Welcome!

Build "quality" is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to SAAB transmissions. You could be having problems with your linkage which would be easy to fix, OR you could have internal tranmission problems which are of course expensive to fix.

At the top of the forum is an FAQ link which has a transmission section, you might check around there for background, then we can talk you through repairs or help clarify things that are missing or unclear in the FAQ page.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this may sound very stupid but I had the same problem when I was test driving a saab 900 for the first time. Directly underneath the gear shift nob there is a little ring that you have to pull up in to release a latch to let the shifter go into reverse. It seems to be some sort of safty.

I was ready to walk away from the car because I thought there was a problem with the transmition but it was just operator error.

Hope that's all it is but you may have already figured that one out...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, yeah I got that bit, my last car (Mondeo) had the same thing!

Thanks anyway though! ;)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
People could never get my VW into reverse, because you needed to push down on the shifter in order to get it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts