SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - not a big deal, just a minor annoyance...

Purchased a used but great physical condition lighted convertible top switch on eBay. The one I had originally was lighted as well - just the arrows were rubbed off - so I wanted a little dress-up.

Inspection before installation showed no corrosion etc on the contacts.

Installed it and now in causes the parking brake dash light to glow dimly, unless I turn on the headlights, or - of course - engage the parking brake, in which case the light glows at normal brightness.

So I keep the headlights on at all times, just so I don't glance down now and again and see the parking brake light dimly illuminated.

I had previously installed two other unlighted switches (both sold to me claiming they were lighted, when not) and they did not cause the same "problem." Nor does my original lighted but worn-looking switch.

Hate to say it's even a problem - I have bigger fish to fry with this car - but wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

Thanks,
-daniel

PS: hey now - just noticed I'm no longer an "Active Member" - I'm suddenly a "Senior Member." OK, so I don't get as much exercise as I used to, but really - at 38 years old - a Senior? Do I at least get a cane with this upgrade? :D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Lights glowing mean you have a bad earth somewhere, currant always takes the shortest route back to earth, that means the chassis on a car. So if you have a bad resistance on a power source, like a light, the currant will take another route back to earth, this is what makes other unconnected lights glow. I would try the earth to the switch, it must have an earth to make the bulb in the switch work. Find the earth wire, attach another piece of cable to the terminal & get the other end to earth somewhere & see if the dash light goes out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the same problem. It turned out to be a bad handbrake light switch. Just remove the center console to find it. I just cleaned it up and the dim warning light disappeared. By the way. At that time I had also occasionally problems with the roof top. The resitance over the hand brake switch was sometimes too great so that the roof top relay would not engage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts