SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm looking for advice here. My traction control arm outer bushes are getting loose and I'm about to change them. Decided to order from Powerflex. Now, all other parts seem to be in a good condition and tight, but is there anything else I should look forward to change when speaking about bushes? What's your experience on this, which part is suffering the most so I can expect it to go next? Nothing has been changed on my car for the last 30.000 miles (maybe even more), but I don't want to make order only for a pair of bushes, let's put something else on the list. I'm about to put 17's in a few days and I want my suspension to be 100% ready for them.
Thanks in advance,
MdS

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My from sway bar links/bushings wore causeing a clunking noise. Maybe you'd want to look into this?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silly as it is, my English mechanical vocabulary is a bit weak, "sway bar" would be "anti-roll bar" or I'm wrong? And yes, there is a tiny clunking noise present, that's how I figured outer bushings are getting loose.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yes its the anti-roll bar. Mine were making noises for a while. I'm pretty sure it was the links or whatever. I can check the service recors when I get home. It really tightened up the steering feel especially on center. I'm considering even going to poly bushings to promote this great feel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ball joints

Since I'm upgrading track arms, one more thing came to my mind - Is it possible to change balljoints on 9-3 as a separate part or it goes only with whole arm? Please don't tell me it does, what to do if they drop dead and I have new poly bushings installed?

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Marquis de Saab said:
Since I'm upgrading track arms, one more thing came to my mind - Is it possible to change balljoints on 9-3 as a separate part or it goes only with whole arm? Please don't tell me it does, what to do if they drop dead and I have new poly bushings installed?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news .. the ball joint / control arm are one part ...

You can always move the poly bushings to the new control arm ...

Check out this thread for more info ...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SaabScott said:
You can always move the poly bushings to the new control arm ...
Yeah, by destroying new one. Oh well, I already paid for them so in a few days they'll knock on my door. Someone mentioned that balljoints were still tight after 120k... depends on the roads and way of driving, but I'll hope for mine to last that long, meaning I have about 30k miles (or even more) to play. Bushings were not expensive after all, I won't cry if I have to throw them away with old arms in, let's say, 2 years :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boxman said:
i replaced all the bushes front and back and it made a hugh differance so i would reccomend doing all of them
It was barely 100 euros more for the rest of the front kit, excluding steering rack bush, so I'm already thinking I made a mistake for not ordering all of them. I'm replacing both bushes on track arms for now, although those inner aren't showing any wear or damage. We'll see the differance.
BTW, is the steering rack bush easy visable, I'd like to check is it flat or round?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SaabScott said:
Poly bushing usually come in 2 parts, so moving them from one control arm to another should not be an issue.
You mean if I buy arms with poly bushes, but on a "regular" they are made of rubber and in one piece, so I would need to cut them. Anyway, I'm planning to move from one Saab to another in about 3yrs/40000mls, I think this suspension will serve me well for that time/mileage. That's what I like about Saab, mostly all of the investments are long term, you pay once and forget about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts