SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..i notice that my break fluid got low recently and i know i have to change my pads..can you recommend any brand of pads and break fluid that go well with factory setup on my 1999 93 auto conv....would getting something locally at like autozone be ok? i had my rotors replaced like 6 months ago

actually that would bring another question..my old rotors (just regular cast-dont know specs but were just standard)were like 40k old and i drove them till they had a serious lip from the wear..buuutt there was almost no rust on them..i mean after rain and some time parked there was some in the pads way but none in the area closer to where the rotors touch to the wheels...now the new rotors (regular-cast)are like 5k old and they are just orange from rust in that area...how so?..are the new rotors that the shop put in just low quality..do you know of any products available that would protect the areas that are not in contact with pads from rust?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have Brembo slotted rotors and when I wash my car they rust too. It is just the type of metal. Rotors rust because of the iron. As for pads I would have to recommend the Hawk HPS because of there quality. The HPS are about $80 I believe, but they make others that are a little bit cheaper.

If you are just a daily driver it doesn't really matter what brand you buy. The Hawks I have are just street performance which may be overkill for you. I am sure Autozone has what you are looking for though. Goodluck! :)

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Motul brake fluid is what I will be running, getting my EBC Yellowstuffs installed this weekend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK so my local Autozone has a set of front Duralast Gold Max pads for $59.99 and also regular Duralast pads for $25.99...do you think it is worth going for Gold Max? in description it says that these are ceramic ultra quiet...will it go well with regular cast rotors?...for the rear they have Gold Max in the same price 59.99 but there is another version called European Line that is $75...anyone has experience with these?

For break fluid they have Valvoline, Russel and Prestone brands and these come in DOT 3, 4, 5..some of them are advertised as synthetic, silicone or long life ...which one would be right?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
OK so my local Autozone has a set of front Duralast Gold Max pads for $59.99 and also regular Duralast pads for $25.99...do you think it is worth going for Gold Max? in description it says that these are ceramic ultra quiet...will it go well with regular cast rotors?...for the rear they have Gold Max in the same price 59.99 but there is another version called European Line that is $75...anyone has experience with these?

For break fluid they have Valvoline, Russel and Prestone brands and these come in DOT 3, 4, 5..some of them are advertised as synthetic, silicone or long life ...which one would be right?
Read the can, do the search, MIX NOT !!!!
Clean fluid is of primary importance, Synthetics and minerals cannot be mixed.
Use the brake set-up that matches your needs. The pads and rotors should also be matched - more or less - a good topic for discussion..
A hard pad and a soft rotor - not so good, but how can a man tell which is which ??

·
Registered
867 Posts
I usually stay away from the pads and rotors from Autozone and Advance unless I'm doing the replacement to sell the car. They contract out for these parts but who knows who really makes them. Sometimes you get lucky and they are actually well known brands.
It might be worth looking at NAPA if there is one nearby. My 1997 SE had new NAPA pads when I bought it 6 years and 60k miles ago.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hello all..i notice that my BRAKE (not break) fluid got low recently and i know i have to change my pads..can you recommend any brand of pads and BRAKE fluid that go well with factory setup on my 1999 93 auto conv....would getting something locally at like autozone be ok? i had my rotors replaced like 6 months ago Also, your brake fluid level will drop as your pads wear. But when you install new pads, it should rise back to its proper level. Don't top off the fluid until after installing the new pads.

actually that would bring another question..my old rotors (just regular cast-dont know specs but were just standard)were like 40k old and i drove them till they had a serious lip from the wear..buuutt there was almost no rust on them..i mean after rain and some time parked there was some in the pads way but none in the area closer to where the rotors touch to the wheels...now the new rotors (regular-cast)are like 5k old and they are just orange from rust in that area...how so?..are the new rotors that the shop put in just low quality..do you know of any products available that would protect the areas that are not in contact with pads from rust?
The rust on the non-contact parts is quite normal even on OEM rotors. There are some that will paint those areas with a high-temp paint, but most just live with it. Not harmful, but not aesthetically pleasing either.

Sorry to be a troll on the spelling. I'm a teacher. Personal pet peeve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts