SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I knew the Brakes on blue were getting close to replacement time, but as I was keeping an eye on the drivers side I didn't know that the passenger side was further along. :roll: It started grinding metal on metal about 30 miles out one day so that was that. It appears it may have been hanging up a bit or had pad failure, the pad appeared to be delaminating on half the pad where it touched metal on metal. The drivers side still had several mm left.

Passenger side rotor was at 18.49mm, min is 18mm so in the scrapper they went. I decided to replace both, what the heck, they were insanely cheap at O'Reillys anyhow, so replace them both I did.

Here they are, new pads, calipers all lubed up, looking all shinny.

Changing them was a breeze. I really like this old style braking system. Totally crazy design, looks like something that should be on a star wars craft or something, but that just adds to the charm. :p

I've put so many parts on this car, at this rate, instead of pushing it off a cliff like I had planned, I'll end up rebuilding the transmission, repainting it, and redoing the interior.

(shudder)

For those who are concerned, there is a jack stand obsured from view right behind the rotor, firmly planted and secured. :)

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
I can see the jack - it's the axle stand I can't see!

Did you remember to clean the protective coating from the discs before they contaminated the new pads with oil?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nutcase said:
I can see the jack - it's the axle stand I can't see!

Did you remember to clean the protective coating from the discs before they contaminated the new pads with oil?
Jack stand = axle stand. Odd termage I know. :roll:

I hit them up with carb cleaner. They came sealed in plastic and didn't seem to have the normal oily coating on them. Kind of odd, but I hit them with the carb cleaner out of habit anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts