SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I just took my car in this morning for the intermediate service. $750!!

They called me shortly after to tell me my brakes are almost done, and will need to replace all 4. Is $1450 a reasonable price to pay for this? Furthermore, should brakes go after only 48K kilometers??

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
48K km seems a bit early for all four. I had to have my rears replaced at about 32K miles but I think that's because the rear calipers got stuck. The fronts are still fine.

The price you have been quoted is probably in line with what a dealer would charge, assuming they are also replacing the rotors. If not the rotors, then it is far too expensive, and your rotors may not need replacement.

Did they show you the pads so you can judge for yourself? I don't know how you use the brakes - that can have a big impact on brake life.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have about 30 K miles on my Vector and need to replace all brakes and rotors soon. My local shop said a little over $700 to do it all.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
my front pads were replaced on 20KKm and I was warned that I will surely hv to change all pads and rotors on 40KKm. I can SEE the wear so I dont complain too much. App Auto consumes more than manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think brakes depend a lot on how you drive. there is probably a couple thousand miles left but they don't want to risk you going elsewhere, so they suggest it then. $1400 is alot. I would purchase this brake kit (like i did) http://thesaabsite.com/93/93Brakes03on.htm (scroll down 'Brake Job Kit' )and have your local mechanic install it with about 2 hours or so in labor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, so I just followed up with the dealer. It IS in fact both the rotors & brake pads that need replacing.

I'm still a little shocked that all this after only 48K kms! They didn't show me them, I just took their word for it. I guess, I'm going to take it elsewhere for a second opinion. Just seems like a lot of money to put down for what shouldn't cost me more than $1000!

Bonakdar....thanks for the link, I will check this out, and maybe get this ordered for the car!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just had my brakes done on my other car, a GM Envoy. Rotors and Pads for all four wheels. I typically do them myself and was short of time so my brother did them for me. Parts came in at $200. These are Bendix pads and good quality rotors. So lets say SAAB parts are inflated by 50%, that makes the parts come in around $300. So a price of $700 for parts and labor probably makes very good sense, but could be just a little on the high side. A price of $1,400 appears to be way out of line.

My dollars are in USD. But I believe the exchange rate with Canada is now in their favor.

·
Registered
216 Posts
limeyellow said:
Hi, so I just followed up with the dealer. It IS in fact both the rotors & brake pads that need replacing.

I'm still a little shocked that all this after only 48K kms! They didn't show me them, I just took their word for it. I guess, I'm going to take it elsewhere for a second opinion. Just seems like a lot of money to put down for what shouldn't cost me more than $1000!

Bonakdar....thanks for the link, I will check this out, and maybe get this ordered for the car!

Thanks again!
They told me I needed to change my brakes and rotors about 2 months ago. Since I am getting it all replaced I decided to wait until I hear metal on metal before I change them. Might as well get all I can out of the current ones. I thought brakes are supposed to make a whining sound when they need replacing.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I would advise not waiting until you hear scraping, as brake effectiveness can be compromised before that.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Does the inner brake pads tend to wear out earlier than the outer?

The outer brake pads are easy to see with the wide slotted wheels. With an earlier Saab model, I think the inners did wear slightly faster than the outers, but not much.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
man! $100 for ONE rotor :eek:

Parts aren't cheap, i thought these cars were GM parts bin.

I just did pads and rotors on my wifes accord for $100 :roll:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
uhhh, how about checking them yourself rather than being worried about getting screwed over. i can examine my outer brake pads on all four corners in 4 seconds. 2-3mm is a safe estimate on when to replace them. i have 45k miles and i drive HARD. my rear pads need replacing soon, but my fronts look nearly brand new. though it would seem that the fronts need replacing before the rears, this is not the case for many european cars. yeah, by the way...i would personally check the front pads, as i have a hard time believing they need replacing. i also have a hard time seeing how the rotors are already out of spec (or even close). you can bet the only thing being replaced on my car are the pads when it comes time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts