SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys? i want to change my brake pads because i just got new rims and the stock pads dust so much i have to wash the wheels every two days!!! id like to get some ceramic brake pads due to the great bite and ultra-low dust. i hear EBC green stuff is pretty good too. has anyone changed their brake pads and if so, to which ones and what do they think of them? let me kno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
ive used EBC & mitex red box in the past, and would definatly go with mintex.. if they make them. i know this may not help you much, but if mintex does NOT make pads for us, EBC's are fine, and DO reduce brake dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I am not sure if this applies, but I was speaking to the

service center rep here in Toronto and he mentioned that there will be a "silent recall" for brakes on the saloon models in July. AFAIK it is to solve the dust and the noisy brakes.

best
Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
SeanArc said:
whats up guys? i want to change my brake pads because i just got new rims and the stock pads dust so much i have to wash the wheels every two days!!! id like to get some ceramic brake pads due to the great bite and ultra-low dust. i hear EBC green stuff is pretty good too. has anyone changed their brake pads and if so, to which ones and what do they think of them? let me kno


I have the EBC Greenstuff pads on my Arc and they are great. 75% less dust and great stopping power. They do squeal a little in stop and go rush hour traffic but it is not bad, and it is not noticeable at all in regular driving conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Jerry03Arc said:
I have the EBC Greenstuff pads on my Arc and they are great. 75% less dust and great stopping power. They do squeal a little in stop and go rush hour traffic but it is not bad, and it is not noticeable at all in regular driving conditions.
My only reply is ... "ditto"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
93Linear said:
My only reply is ... "ditto"
Here is basic trade off:

softer pad -> no sqeeking-> more dust->easier on the rotor
harder pad->more sqeeking->less dust->tough on the rotor

I'd rather clean rims then replace rotors....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
M4Gunner said:
but isnt that a great excuse to upgrade rotors later!?;)
Well, yea....:)
Unfortunately we are stuck with OEM parts here for a while, I have not been able to find any 3rd party parts like Brembo for example that makes anything for us yet:)
$23 dollar air filters are a bit much as welll :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
ya know.. i was doing some homework on this...

the rotors on a 2000 SE for example, are the SAME exact size in diameter, right down to the MM. why couldnt we use these? the bolt patterns are obviously the same. the only thing may be the depth measurment. however, i doubt very much that its enough to matter. unless theyre TOO deep.

tell me what you guys think



schernov said:
Well, yea....:)
Unfortunately we are stuck with OEM parts here for a while, I have not been able to find any 3rd party parts like Brembo for example that makes anything for us yet:)
$23 dollar air filters are a bit much as welll :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
EBC has had grooved & dimpled (and anodized) front rotors out for ours cars for quite some time now ... Do a search, I've posted on these several times with links to various retailers. I don't have them myself yet, but they are on my list. Also, Nick at GenuineSaab would be more than happy to set you up with a set of front & rear OEM rotors they groove with a CNC machine. Doesn't say on the site if they anodize also, but they look that way in the pic ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
yeah, ive seen those. im just not a HUGE EBC fan. i mean, ill use em if i have to, but id rather use some other names over EBC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy a full set of EBC Greenstuff or GM/Akebono pads for my 2004 Aero? Genuine Saab only has fronts for the Aero in GM/Akebono and doesn't carry the Aero EBC rears.

Thanks for your help.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top