SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Pleased to join the community here. :D

I have just sold my 9-5 (2.0 LPT SE) and am thinking of getting an older NG900 Turbo for a bit of fun as a cheapish short term runabout. I have done the usual searching for things to check but can anyone help with a few unanswered questions?

Looking at 94/95/96 ish cars was there only one level of 2.0 turbo or was there a range ie low pressure, full pressure etc and what was the BHP output and rough performance figures?

And are they a bit like the classic turbos in terms of performance - ie entertaining to drive and some good old turbo lag to be had!?

And handling wise how do owners rate them?

Any others thoughts for a would be owner would be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Welcome to the board.

There were low pressure versions of the NG900 sold in Europe, without BPC, and limited to about 0.4 bar boost. I believe "Marquis de Saab" who posts here owns one.

The version with BPC (boost pressure control) reached 0.8 bar and 185 hp stock, and was the only turbo version sold in the US.

Comparing my '96 900 SE Turbo (when new), to an older C900 turbo owned by friends was positive, with some loss in cornering ability and road feel being the notable exception.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gilles - I'm knew to the board myself, but i used to live in the UK (ELY, Cambs. to be exact). while there i used this website for car data:

www.parkers.co.uk

lots of good make/model reviews made by professionals, owners and drivers.

also, they have an extensive technical specs database which includes trim levels, engine options, BHP, curb weight, turbo details....etc.(again model specific):

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs/derivative.aspx?manu_name=Saab&manufacturer_name=9572&model_id=785&fueltype=&months=&spare1=&spare2=
that's for the NG900.

hope this helps you shop for your new saab.

·
Registered
380 Posts
PMI said:
There were low pressure versions of the NG900 sold in Europe
No.

The ng900 has 4 different engines:

2.0i, 130 HP
2.3i, 150 HP
2.5i (GM V6 engine),175 HP
2.0 Turbo, 185 HP

That's it. The low pressure turbo was first available in the 1999 9-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and very helpful replies. My other passion is Land Rovers (the proper utility ones) and compared to these even a 50 BHP Saab would be like a rocket. 185 sounds like a lot of fun. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts