SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all...i will be shopping around this weekend for a new belt for my 1999 9-3 t5 auto 185 AC 100k+ and i would like to hear from you on your experience with different brands.

I have NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced AutoParts in my area. They all stock NAPA, Goodyear, Dayco.

The idle pulley is still oem but will be replacing it with tensioner pulley also. I am also thinking...would you recommend any specific lubricant for pulleys bearings. I have silicone, white lithium, graphite, grease with anti rust and heavy Mobile 1.

1. What belt brand would you recommend? I am thinking about Goodyear Gatorback...
2. What would be the best length for the new belt? Factory belt part no 4961066 is 6PK2345..so i am guessing that is 2345mm...
3. Best lube for pulleys?
4. Is it ok to use lubricant/spray grease around AC clutch/pulley to condition it a little?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hello all...i will be shopping around this weekend for a new belt for my 1999 9-3 t5 auto 185 AC and i would like to hear from you on your experience with different brands.

I have NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced AutoParts in my area. They all stock NAPA, Goodyear, Dayco.

I am already running the shorter belt without central pulley and of course would like to keep my AC working :). The idle pulley is oem size. I am also thinking...would you recommend any specific lubricant for pulleys bearings. I have silicone, white lithium, graphite, grease with anti rust and heavy Mobile 1. These bearings, like most "light duty automotive" are sealed.
IMO, the belts are all about the same.
Do assure that you have the one made to Euro specs and that it fits the pulleys correctly.

1. What belt brand and model would you recommend? Goodyear's Gaiter Back.
2. What would be the best length for the new belt? Check the eEuroParts site.
3. Best lube for pulleys? None, maybe baby powder(talc) for the belt(my own idea)
4. Is it ok to use lubricant/spray grease around AC clutch/pulley to condition it a little?
Generally, no lubes are specified nor needed.
The thing to do is inspect the pulleys every 6 months and monitor their condition.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I like the Goodyear Gatorback belts. They're supposed to run quieter and last twice as long as a regular belt. I've had mine for quite a few years, and I haven't noticed any cracks in it yet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do assure that you have the one made to Euro specs and that it fits the pulleys correctly..
What are "euro specs". Do you mean like correct groove size or something. What are you people running on? Any brand/size example?

Autozone on their website recommends Gatorback 6PK2340 for my car ..i guess Goodyear in that range can be either 2340 or 2350...so i think i am going to go with this one..5mm short shouldnt make any difference...anyone knows whats the acceptable range on the tensionner?

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
There really isn't a Euro spec belt that I've ever seen. If it has 6 ribs and is the correct length, it'll fit. I have a 900, so the belt length my car uses is probably different than yours.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You 'may' have trouble getting the 5-mm shorter belt on. The tensioner has 3 marks on it. As long as the moveable mark falls between the 2 fixed marks after the belt has worn in you'll be OK... Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts