SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have a 1999 9-3 SE with a red DIC and its in need (I think) of a another one. I have experience some intermittent stuttering or shuttering when I drive it on the highway for a long time or long periods of city driving. I think is the DIC mostly because the previous owner put an aftermarket DIC on it, which I was unaware off until I changed the spark plugs. I have also read that DIC can fail often and specially when they are hot. The check engine light is on, a mechanic checked the code and said it a misfiring code but he didnt notice any misfiring while he had it. I have also checked all the vacuum hoses and replaced ones that looked old or cracked.
Do you guys/gals recommend a new aftermarket DIC or a used OEM DIC? I don't have the budget to buy a brand new OEM.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
In my, admittedly limited, experience, I'd rather have a used OEM than a new Chinese DIC. I bought one, and it lasted a couple months. Warranty only covered one replacement, and the "new" one lasted less than a month after that. I got one from a junkyard last summer and it's been working fine ever since. I still have a good black one for emergencies, though the car is happier with a red one.

Junkyard up 2 of them, test both. Then keep one as a spare.

Or borrow a known good one and clear the codes and see if they return.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use a black one although the car requires a red one? Also, I haven't found a junkyard saab with a red dic down here Florida. Not many saabs at all in the junkyards I've visited actually. Gonna try my luck on the used one.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Use a black one although the car requires a red one? Also, I haven't found a junkyard saab with a red dic down here Florida. Not many saabs at all in the junkyards I've visited actually. Gonna try my luck on the used one.
The computer on our T5 cars expects the electronics in the red DIC. A black one will work for a short time, but performance will suffer.

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
Borrow a known "good" DIC from a friend and see if you have a problem first. Easy enough to swap out. Try Craigslist and Ebay. Read the date codes and closely inspect the black plastic on the underside for melting or discoloration. There's some junk circulating out there. Also, mark up the old one, date it, and toss it in the trunk if it still works well enough to get you home in a jam (also leave the few tools needed to change it in the trunk).
One time I had an intermittent failing alternator that causing the DIC to throw misfire codes.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/4357856411.html

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I bought 2 used OEM red DICs from the For Sale section on this site for $100 shipped a couple years ago. When I got them, I swapped in the first for a week, then the second to make sure they didn't throw codes. Finally, I wrote the date in Sharpie on the one I'm running, and to date I have more than two years on the first. Not too bad for $50... Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts