SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at craigslist a week ago and couldnt believe my eyes when I spotted a 1970 99E for sale in my town. I went to look at it, negotiated a bit and took it home.

It makes a nice edition to the 75 99GLE I already have (900 16T engine swap in progress). This one has the 1700 cc "Triumph" motor along with the freewheel 4 speed manual. Everything works and its a pleasure to dirve- what a find!

Images here: http://gallery.mac.com/kleemann1#100017

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
wow, nice looking car!

A real Saab too!:cool:

Hope one day I can get one:D Enjoy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Catastrophe! EEEEEEE- man I am D U M B at times.

Removed the freewheel 4 speed which sounded like a farm implement and installed a non-freewheel 1978 4 speed. After setting in the self adjusting clutch and such I was feeling very proud indeed. I didnt notice I had shattered the cast portion of the oil pump pick up when I set the engine on the tranny ;oops:

After getting it all back together and its idling on the lift the engine S L O W S down and stops. Attempts at restarts were futile! Took it all back out again and it spun the center bearing an the #3 con rod did the same. Crank is blue in those as well. Thank goodness it was only at idle on the lift and not at speed.

Down to the machine shop (which has been around since the 1940's)! I walk in carrying just the head:

Machine shop guy: "whatcha got there"

Me: "something old and weird"

MSG: "looks like a 1969 to 1971 SAAB 99 E cylinder head"

Me: "j*@us ch(%st- who are you?"

MSG: "I used to crew for a team that ran 2 of those at Baja 1000 in the early 70's- hows the rest of the motor look?"

Me: "well I have the rest of it in the back of the rover- let me go get it"

MSG: "well the crank looks like it might have gotten hot enough to twist, looks like your block might have survived as well as the rods- better let me check it out to make sure"

(Then the sinking feeling of what if I need crank, or a block? I might as well be looking for chicken teeth)

MSG: "dont worry- if you need anything Ive got a bunch of cranks, blocks and heads from the 70's. people just dropped them off and never picked them up again. I think I have a block some guy was making a race motor out of- had it now for 12 years"

I felt like I was in the twilight zone- what on earth had happened so that I could walk into a machine shop with a 38 yr old 1709cc Triumph/SAAB engine and find the secret stash of good parts?? Needless to say I am negotiating the purchase of some back up hard parts.

So medium blue 1970 will have a totally rebuilt motor as well as a quiet transmission- guess its time to think about the rest of the car- so much for buy it a drive it, LOL :suprised;

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thats Awesome! What a lucky find! Nothing more reassuring than the guy being able to recognise spot on what it is without being told! Most places I go to, you say you own a Saab 99 and they ask, is that a '99 9-3 or 9-5!? :roll:
Its rediculous, I mean I don't look like I can even afford a 9-3!:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts