Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my peeps
Soooooooo,
I have some questions folks xD
Sorry if I seem crazy o_o
Anyway let's start

Hi guys I just purchased a 2000 93 and currently looking to swap to the 2.3 engine. Question, are all the 2.3 engines from the 95 from years 99-2009 a clean swap. If not or if so either way can someone give me a recommended parts list. Also I and 5sp manny would the engine have to be manny too. Much love thanks guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks man would I need to upgrade the axles and clutch or just the clutch. Also would my ecu be compatible or should I pull the ecu from the engine as well?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
A spare ECU is always a feature! But, you need at least the 2.3 B235x programming for whatever engine you choose. You will need to match the ECU with a Tech II (or a tuner can do it if you plan to get a tune). You can run with the 2.0 ECU but the mapping is wrong so you won't be maximizing performance in any way. Consider it a "drive to a Tech II" shop level. Personally, I'd highly recommend buying a Chinese Tech II if you plan to do this. There will be things on the car you want to tweak.

Engine wise, any B235x works. A B235R will give you the most HP stock. If you get a non "R" motor, you could install a TD04-15t and take it up to the 235R level. If you have a TD04 on your 9-3 right now, you can just move that over. The 235R's also had the sodium filled valves, but I think at some point all the motors had those. The 2006-2008 235R came with the King Cobra inlet pipe and larger housing, which is desirable, but not a deal maker or breaker on a good motor.

What's your goal here? Do you have a bad motor, or are you just looking for more HP? You can likely get all the HP you want out of a 2.0...in fact many tuners prefer the 2.0 for tuning due to stroke differences. We can point you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all this insight guys, I really appreciate it. Well in a perfect world, I would want a built 2.0 or built 2.3. That's just for my own peace of mind.
When it comes to my cars I like to know that I have changed all current parts to new parts. That's from suspension to electrical to interior to engine to piping to .... You get it xD.
I'm weird!-_-
Lol
Anyway for power, I am simple man. 275 to 350 would do. But I would like torque to be with or above the hp limit. Say if I'm 320 hp, I would probably want 320 at least for my torque. Part of the reason I love these cars is because of the torque
For me this car is fine right now just using as daily just pre-planning what all I want to do to him. But the only thing is I am experiencing a slight oil leak and a o2 sensor check engine light which I've been neglecting that I should probably stop being lazy and deal with. So with this oil leak I know soon I will have a decision to make just planning really.
Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
If you want 300+, you need to swap turbo to TD04 (your GT17 is not enough), injectors, IC and exhaust.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Torque on thse motors will always exceed HP, no worries there. The T7 B2x5 motors can only go to 300 HP before you start eating pistons. So, you either have to install forged pistons or get a T5 B2x4 bottom end and do a hybrid with your T7 head. The B2x4 motors can handle 500 HP stock. They also have a more robust oil pump (You can swap with a little minimal work). If you want to go over 300, a B235 is probably a good choice, but you should talk to some tuners. We can point you at some. There are plenty 2.0's doing 400+ HP.

A B235 from a 9-5 Aero is already at 240/250 stock and in '06 went to 250/260. So that might be a starting point. It would be pretty much bolt in, plug-n-play. Some minor diffs perhaps when you get to '06. But again, if you want to beyond 300 you have to build seriously anyway so it might not be worth swapping. If you need to drive the car daily and you're going full bore with this then source a motor to tear down and have machined.

You probably should be thinking minor rebuild (do the timing and bearings) no matter what so you'll need a timing/balance chain kit. About $350 and comes with everything for that job. Add Waterpump, sensors, etc while you have it out. Maybe rings, or maybe not if you stay under 300 and it's a good motor, maybe just let them lie.Some machine time for the head.

You'll need a 3" downpipe, 2.5" catback, intercooler upgrade, fuel pump, injectors, diverter, uprated clutch and probably a TD04-19 or 20t. Somewhere over 320 or so I think you need to go larger and/or start thinking top-mount. Significantly more dollars for a manifold and turbo at that level. 300 is kind of a break-point where the Viggen clutch (easy upgrade) is tapped out, TD04 is reaching the limit, pistons need replacement, etc.

But, you also need to be doing the suspension to keep up. There's no point to all that power if you can't keep the wheels on the ground and the suspension is a worn out stock car. If this is a typical 80K+ car then you have some maint items to do too including tie rod ends, control arms, sway bar links. You'll want lowering springs and Koni or Bilstein shocks/struts. You need a rear bar upgrade and a subframe brace. Steering rack brace or poly rack bushing. Probably poly control arm bushings. Options include an uprated strut tower brace. Rear axle bushings.

You'll want to upgrade the brakes. For that you need the Viggen/9-5 Aero caliper carriers and the rears off a 9-5 Aero (or V6) with rear dual disks. Some line changes (stainless is an option).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, O_O
Jk, cool all off that is possible so first thing I need to find a 4cyl 95 motor and start building it while it's out while I am using my car for daily as now (my 04 is down due to radio upgrade)[I could plug everything back in but that would ruin progress]

For now he sit in garage

But anyway find a engine start build while it's still out and any option on what pistons are recommended, what ic, what injectors(this one I'm really interested about), also some solid tuners that are still out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts