SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
60 days later- read last post (was: New 93 Aero pick-up today- review to follow)

Hi all,

Long time Saab owner. Trading in a 1999 Saab 93 conv for a 2005 Black 93 Aero today. Hope their migh be interest in first perceptions followed up by a post break-in review.

The 99 93 has been wonderful (except for the expensive perpetual maintenance) but it's time to move up. This website, a test drive of the 2005 that showed Saabs can find low-end torque and lose the body twist of convertibles past, and the US GM employee discounts (added to a US $2.5K factory discount) helped cinch the decision. Reviews soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
Cool, congrats!

Drive and take somes curves...you will appreciate this new 93 for sure!:cool:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Buckeye said:
the US GM employee discounts (added to a US $2.5K factory discount) helped cinch the decision.
I'd be interested in your opinions, and if you're willing to share, what the actual purchase price was and the options you got.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, here are initial delivery and drive results (note: 45 minutes drive to dealer- 1:45 drive home:cool: )

Delivery was traditional Saab introduction (but the buttons....so many buttons Hal) and was off on a gallop home (note: 95* F outside but still managed top down ride home.) First notes:

Clutch is a completely different feel as is the shift linkage, but I will never miss the notchiness of the old 93. Surprised to see the return to the 5 speed from 6. The lead mechanic told me this is a very, very good thing. I notice GM rears its ugly head in the form of a dashboard pop-up for read-outs.

Power- the first thing that I notice is that the low end apparent in the gearing of 1st requires lots of RPMs to translate into continued torque when shifting to 2nd. Not so obvious 3rd-5th. There is a MUCH greater sense of horsepower and torque in every way though. Just my seat of the pants impression (and not based on known facts) is that my 93 was a bit more hyper and light of foot (weight?) in the low gears. The Aero felt muscular pretty much everywhere. The comparison would be a Japanese hyper bike to the steady power of a Harley.

Handling: WOW! The steering is so precise, the torque steer is 90% gone, and the road feel is so much better. Best of all was the total lack of frame shimmy across small or large bumps. Even on some broken pavement into corners the Aero stayed glued. With 45 miles on the vehicle I obviously didn't let it all hang out, but did navigate through the twistiest set of switch backs available for the ride home. Best of all was 3rd gear sweeps onto a long, positive camber motorway ramp- this car likes to run. Thank you God for a foot box that allows a 6'4" man to actually put heel to toe to good use AND real room for my left foot!

Sounds: Interesting. Car sounds: I am not of the style (though certainly understand those that are) to change exhaust, so the 100% more throaty sound of the Aero over the 99 93 is very satisfying. Me thinks there is a proponderence of back pressure waiting to be relieved there though. Turbo whine is pleasingly pronounced especially with the top down. Stereo: Again, interesting. For all of the engineering (I purposely did not read the posts on the new 300W systems) this system handles bass on the poor side. If re-speakering is not your cup of tea, then a simple equealizer would probably help a lot. (Do they still make such a thing??) Most music sounds wonderful across a broad Mhz spectrum. The multi-disk deck does a good job of reading even home made disks, something my previous Saab was woe to do.

Costs: Since it was asked- the car stickered at US $45,965 (incl heated seats, touring package, and Xenon headlamps- the car is black so no paint upcharge.) Once you put in the GMAC discount (a little over $2000) and the current $2500 Saab refund, there is no "corporate" room left to bargin because they are paid a set amount by GM due to employee pricing. THe extra money came for me in the form of trade in. I was able to negotiate the initial offer for my 93 (which was accurate according to Kelly Blue book) up by a little over $1100 after an hours haggling.

Overall: I am looking out my window and seeing the car in the driveway. It's a huge, fun investment. I'll add to this review maybe a week down the road as things break in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a musician and live for music so it seems I go a bit over the top with my ears;) I have read quite a few of the posts on the stereo now and seems thars a bunch of good ears out there!

By the way- have put down the top several times with the remote key from my office today. That's too cool and a bit addictive!

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
The GMAC discount was only $2000?

When I bought mine back in Sept 03 it was ~10.5%, or ~$3500 in my case.

Does anyone else find this interesting?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It acutally came out to $2300+ and they (GM) have done away with rating on the percentage basis.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Buckeye said:
Costs: Since it was asked- the car stickered at US $45,965
Congrats on the new purchase...can I ask you how much you got it for, out-the-door (After all GM discounts and rebates, but before trade-in)?

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Aero verts are one of the best looking cars on the road.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was talking to my dealer (like he will tell me the truth?) and he told me that there were really larger discounts before the employee pricing deal. On top of those deals they also offered the better financing. But yes, I would like to know the out the door on this new Aero. Good luck with the new ride, hope you enjoy it and it only sees the shop when the SID says so!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Buckeye said:
Hi all,

Long time Saab owner. Trading in a 1999 Saab 93 conv for a 2005 Black 93 Aero today. Hope their migh be interest in first perceptions followed up by a post break-in review.

The 99 93 has been wonderful (except for the expensive perpetual maintenance) but it's time to move up. This website, a test drive of the 2005 that showed Saabs can find low-end torque and lose the body twist of convertibles past, and the US GM employee discounts (added to a US $2.5K factory discount) helped cinch the decision. Reviews soon.

Cheers
You don't mention if it is the 2.0T or the 2.8v6. I guess it's the 2.0 - I don't think they are shipping the v6 yet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was no mention of the V6 for 2005. I would have liked to have driven it just for comparisons. Truthfully, I know there are bigger engines available, and there's nothing like mashing your foot into a robust V6 coming out of a corner, but I still really like the Saab engine and its turbo weirdness. Guess I would have choosen the Turbo 4 regardless. (Probably ;) )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
60 Day review Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible

Well- it's been 60+ days since Ipicked up the black beauty and I am happy to report (knock on wood) that all is well. Some 60 day impressions:

* Performance: It took a while to figure out the proper way to drive this car for perfromance. I am of the school that you are on and off the clutch pretty quickly to preserve life, but holding revs and boost requires some artful slipping that results in outstanding perfromance. (note: not to be confused with difficult to launch across traffic- nail the gas in first and it will go where pointed very quickly!) The only quirk to the 4 cyl that the 6 cyl might be a good bit better at is avoiding the constant necessity of using 1st gear at very low speeds. This car hates to be lugged through roll up light changes in 2nd gear. I have 1600 miles on the car and waited until 1400 miles + to run the tach past 5K RPM- WOW!

* Handling: Lowered chasis, high RPM power, and sticky Pirellis is an unbeatable combination. My first time past 5K RPM- in an empy 4 lane road dual with a Porche Boxster around a huge series of curves- we went in even after the straightaway but the Saab (or the driver?:cool: ) was way in front coming out of the curves. (Note to author- you would be writing this from the jail had they clocked you at what you saw on the speedo coming out of that curve!)

* Problems: None, nada. No squeaks, rattles, engine problems, top problems, or any of the other occurences I have read of. (knocking on wood again)

* Thoughts for improvements: I really dislike the fact that you need to strip the wretched "club foot" key apart to lock the glove box. The volume on the back-up warning system is so un-noticable that it renders the system fairly useless. There is no need for the GM pimple in the center of the dashboard- bring all that info back into a central location in the dash. I would never, ever, under any circumstance pay additional money for one of the worst designed 300W stereo systems ever. It will simply not handle any bass reproduction and the sound quality for 13 speakers (get real) is horrible.

* Interesting note: No car I have ever had before deposits more break dust on the rear wheels than the front. This one does. Weird.

* Best moment: The BMW Z series owner that asked me if he could watch the Saab roof system in action "again" after I put it down in a parking lot using the remote. After watching the second time I overheard him say to his wife- "I should have bought a Saab." :cheesy:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Buckeye

Agree with your assessment and also recently turned 1600mi. I took delivery 1 Aug of an '05 ARC (manual) and also have an aversion to using 2nd gear to maintain a slow(er) speed.

Question: when I put the top down, the front of the top seems to be caught a little harder than I would think is the spec before it finally "pops free" of the frame and begins to fold ... does yours do the same? I intend to ask the service dept to check on this next opportunity.

One other thing I have noticed (especially over the BMW 3-series convertible) is the satisfactory leg room for passengers in the backseat - of course depends on the size of the passenger.

Would be nice if the top did not take so long to drop ... 20 seconds can seem like a mighty long time.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Back seat room and larger trunk moved me to the Saab over the BMW.

Seat and leg room in the back made the Saab more of a realistic four seater. Don't know if I'd attempt a cross country trip with someone in the back, but had no problems doing four hour trips to northern michigan with someone there. I do like the idea you can adjust the steering both in tilt and rake. That way if I have four in the car I move the steering up and hit the third memory seat option for more room behind. Position 1 is mine, 2 is the wifes and again 3rd is when someone is seating behind.

As to the trunk, I can get two sets of golf clubs and luggage for a four day weekend in the back and still be able to drop the top and not have the back seat full of items. I always laugh when I see BMW and Merc convertibles driving by with a set of gof clubs in the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
SAAB vs Porsche

Buckeye said:
* Handling: Lowered chasis, high RPM power, and sticky Pirellis is an unbeatable combination. My first time past 5K RPM- in an empy 4 lane road dual with a Porche Boxster around a huge series of curves- we went in even after the straightaway but the Saab (or the driver?:cool: ) was way in front coming out of the curves.
Hi Buckeye

I don't think so! :nono; No way are you going to beat a Boxster into, through and out of any bend,>>>ever, anywhere! I drive a SAAB 9-3 and a Porsche Boxster S and the Boxster is way quicker anywhere than any production SAAB. You are just dreaming if you think your SAAB can be as quick around a huge series of curves. Did you ask the Boxster driver if he/she was trying at all? Maybe he/she was just driving sensibly for the road conditions.

I don't mean to be downing you about this. Just stating a fact.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
IGCameron said:
Hi Buckeye

I don't think so! :nono; No way are you going to beat a Boxster into, through and out of any bend,>>>ever, anywhere! I drive a SAAB 9-3 and a Porsche Boxster S and the Boxster is way quicker anywhere than any production SAAB. You are just dreaming if you think your SAAB can be as quick around a huge series of curves. Did you ask the Boxster driver if he/she was trying at all? Maybe he/she was just driving sensibly for the road conditions.

Party-pooper:lol:!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
IGCameron said:
Hi Buckeye

yeah but your Saab is a Diesel!!!!! ;)

Mid range torque (300nm), series of curves where the Saab can be on the throttle on boost most of the time (mmm, front wheel drive power through corner, rear wheel drive power out of/after corner, the Saab will get more power down more of the time!) and maybe the boxster driver wasn't quite as confident.........I can see it.

Its not as unfeasible as it sounds.......but i'd still pick the boxster for its road Presence!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts