SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm thrilled to be able to say I'm part of the wonderful Saab community! It's an '87 Turbo (automatic) convertible. There isn't any rust, it's got a good body and interior as well. It fires right up, no smoke at all, a little ticking at idle probably because it's way overdue for a nice oil change. It drives straight, feels right, etc. The top is new, but it's basically only halfway done with installation. I don't know if I'm able to do all that, is that a big job for a shop to do?
Other than that, it's been sitting a while, so when I get it home I'd like to do a tune up. Can anyone give me suggestions for good spark plugs for it? I'm a Volvo guy and I know Volvos can be picky with what type of plugs they take..
If anyone can suggest some other services I should do before getting it on the road that would be great. What online sources do any of you recommend as well?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
EEuroparts has the plugs and their webpage will take you to the right ones for your car. Finishing a convertible top install may be some fun. I have a swap to do on my 89 turbo vert automatic, but I also have a full top I salvaged from a yard on the frame. Go to one of the top replacement sites and read through their literature. Any staple they mention will be stainless steel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From one "new guy" to another....Howdy! I would definitely do a plug change, check the cap and rotor, if they look questionable, swap those too. A fresh fuel filter wouldn't hurt either. Those would be good things to start with. You will find a never ending amount of things to check out and tinker with, I know I do with mine....

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Welcome to the insanity!

When you say that the top is "half way done" what do you mean? It's on and not adjusted? It's on but the back isn't stapled down?

Also, you should know that without pictures of your Saab you won't get any help around here.

:lol:

Ps: the Summit part number for the NGK plugs you need is "NGK-5030" I don't remember the NGK number offhand, but if you go to Summit you'll see the cross reference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'm on Eeuroparts now creating a little shopping cart. The back of the top is stapled in but the sides and the front aren't adjusted and secured yet.
Take a look guys! :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Welcome!

Here's a link to a forum topic on here with some helpful hints for top replacement: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45954

Instructions: http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/data...eplacement.pdf

Another set of instructions: http://cod.homelinux.org/C/saab/CVTop/index.html

It looks like the rear glass portion is still original, and the front section is just sitting on top waiting to be stapled (Saabs have a two piece top - rear glass, and the "rest"). All that's left is stapling the side flaps, putting the two hooks through the holes in the flaps, gluing the sides to the frame where the white clamp is, and gluing the front.

Edit: Make sure you get the side spoiler pieces as well as the rear trim piece that covers the staples at the back of the rear glass. Also get the trim strip that goes over the fourth crossmember (just forward of the rear glass - it will eventually cover the staples that hold the forward section of the top to that crossmember).

Dustin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links, they look like a great help! I'm pretty sure the extra trim pieces in the car so hopefully I'm all set with that.
Thanks for all the help and advice so far guys!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good looking car

Nice car. I can say that because it looks just like my C900. I see you are in RI. There are a bunch of us C900 drivers in the area (Mass, Ct, RI) and we get togther often. PM me with your email and I'll put you on a notification list for our next cruise/meet.
coggs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts