SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! First time poster here, and I intend on being here alot.

Few questions I'd like to ask..

I recently purchased a used 2000 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 V6 Turbo Sedan from a franchised dealership (not a Saab dealership). The car seems to have every option available, except a CD Changer. It had 68,000 miles when I purchased it. The cars asking price was $10,900. The dealership ended up having a sale when I bought it, and I got it for $8,700. The car is absolutely flawless, with no imperfections anywhere. I even had my mechanic check it out beforehand, and he said it was flawless from what he could tell. Was that a good value? I sure hope so. I also purchased a 3 year extended warranty with it as well, because I know these cars can get pricey, the warranty was almost $4,000, but I wanted piece of mind.

I noticed a few things on it though in the week I've had it, and I'm wondering if some of you can help me.

First off, I noticed that the steering wheel controls aren't illuminated, is that the way it's supposed to be? Same goes for for the heated seat dials near the shifter, they are not illuminated. You'd think especially the heated seats control, that they would be illuminated. Is this a problem with my car, or is that the way it's supposed to be?

Secondly, the annoying "Fasten Seatbelts" light at the top. Is there a simple fuse that can be pulled to get rid of that? Or do I need to manually get back there and pull out the bulb? If so, how do I get back there?

Thirdly, as I said above - this car doesn't have a CD Changer. If I was to purchase a Saab CD Changer, is the pre-wiring already in the trunk? Or would it need to be ran back there? Normally I'd have an aftermarket stereo installed, but quite honestly, I was shocked how great the H/K stereo sounded. I just wish it had a aux input for my Sirius. I'd prefer not to use a FM modulator.

And lastly, the gauges. I don't know if it's just me, but the gauge cluster looks so 80'ish on the 2000 9-5. I've searched everywhere for a different gauge cluster, even a indiglo overlay, and I've came up with nothing. Does anyone out there know of a place that would have that for a 2000? I'm assuming it would be easy to find for a newer Saab, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding it for a 2000.

Any help on my questions would be greatly appreciated. I hope to learn alot from this site, and hopefully as I get more familiar with my 9-5, I can provide help to others as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central:D

THe steering wheel control do not illuminate. THe idea is your are supposed to learn them by feel after a few days.

Fasten your seatbelt and the annoying lamp will go off, this is the idea.:lol:

THe CD changer would best be found on e-bay. Saab offered it as a trunk mounted option. Many people on here just adapt a little bluetooth doo-dad and use an Mp3 too.

The Heated seat switches have 2 bulbs each. One for the thumb wheel, and one for the numbers. You can replace them, a bit tricky. There is a guide to this on here somewhere. If you have put together a model car before you can figure it out for sure.

$4k for a warranty!!!!

Hope you enjoy your new 9-5. Pictures are manditory.:cool:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
nyguy said:
First off, I noticed that the steering wheel controls aren't illuminated, is that the way it's supposed to be? Same goes for for the heated seat dials near the shifter, they are not illuminated.

Secondly, the annoying "Fasten Seatbelts" light at the top.

Thirdly, as I said above - this car doesn't have a CD Changer. If I was to purchase a Saab CD Changer, is the pre-wiring already in the trunk?

And lastly, the gauges. I don't know if it's just me, but the gauge cluster looks so 80'ish on the 2000 9-5.
Steering wheel controls are not illuminated; heated seat controls ARE illuminated.

Fasten seat belt light - it goes out when you fasten the seat belt...

CD changer - can't help you here.

Gauges - part of the functional design of any Saab 9-5 prior to '06 is the simple readable design of the instrument panel. When it's perfect, there's no reason to change. For some reason it became un-perfect starting in 2006. (or was it 2007?) with the Pontiac Dash (TM).

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Boot is pre wired, and only the Saab cd changer is compatible.

G

·

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al's Red Wagon.. I bought it at D'Ella Lincoln Mercury. I don't know if I got a good price or not on it, but I feel I did.

Wulf, thank you so much for that! I was actually going to ask if anyone knew how to get back there to change the bulbs. Thank you for that info, it will for sure come in handy this weekend :)

Chris.. boot? what boot? If I'm reading posts correctly, the stock Saab CD changer goes in the trunk, correct? There is wiring already back there?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
nyguy said:
Chris.. boot? what boot? If I'm reading posts correctly, the stock Saab CD changer goes in the trunk, correct? There is wiring already back there?
Nope, never use the trunk for CD changers :nono;

The trunk is only used for picking up liquid from African water holes and wrapping around logs to transport them accross the plains........

Its on page 567 of your owners manual :roll:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Timing belt and tensioner???

Do you have any service records showing that the timing belt and tensioner were replaced at the recommended 60,000 miles interval?

These two parts are the only weak link in the V6 engine, to the point that Saab acklowledges the issue and pays for the new timing belt and installation under warranty. Owners have to pay the extra money to have the tensioner changed at the same time.

Failure to replace these two components can easily result in engine failure! The belt slips a cog and the pistons smash into the valves - not a pleasant experience.

As far as the gages issue, check some of the Saab specific parts suppliers. There is a gage kit which consists of broad chrome bands which encircle the standard gages to change the look of the dash. Not my choice, but others here have installed the kit and love it.

The photo is cut & pasted from the genuinesaab website catalog.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Question about Saab

Hi Nyguy:

The description of the deal you got on your 2000 Saab sounds quite reasonable.I purchased my 1999 Saab 9.5, October of 2006. This vehicle was in excellent condition and was fully loaded but excluded CD Changer/Ventilated Seats not unlike the Saab you purchased. The vehicle had 74,000 km (approx. 45,000 miles) at that time and I paid $10,700 which at the time I thought was a reasonable price. Since that time I have placed 25,000 km/15,000 miles on the vehicle. I've enjoyed driving it but have experienced a few major costs. I had to replace one of the Direct Ignition Modules ($750 with labour) and the Crankshaft Positive Sensor ($200 with labour). I also had to replace the water pump ($225 with labour). I'm just getting ready to book an appointment to replace the timing belt as my vehicle approaches the 60,000 mile mark. I have replaced some of the bulbs on the heated seat controls, a little tricky but not to bad. Suggest using fine needle nose pliers or tweezers to drop replacement bulbs back into sockets. I did buy the bulbs already mounted in the new sockets from Saab and if I'm not mistaken I only paid $5 per bulb mounted in the black sockets. I can't comment on changing the dash as I've never looked into this. In fact I don't mind the look of my Saab dash. Insofar as taking the extra warranty out, not a bad idea but I'm not to sure about the $4k price tag. Good insurance though.

I'm enjoying my Saab. Hopefully it keeps running great and I can keep it out of the shop of my local mechanic. It drives/handles great and still looks great in light of the fact that the styling of newer models were not changed significantly.

Hope you enjoy your 9.5

Marty

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
MI-Roger said:
Do you have any service records showing that the timing belt and tensioner were replaced at the recommended 60,000 miles interval?

These two parts are the only weak link in the V6 engine, to the point that Saab acklowledges the issue and pays for the new timing belt and installation under warranty. Owners have to pay the extra money to have the tensioner changed at the same time.

Failure to replace these two components can easily result in engine failure! The belt slips a cog and the pistons smash into the valves - not a pleasant experience.
I would find this out asap. My cousin had 2 V6 NGs and if that belt goes your engine is going with it.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Please note that if it has been removed from another saab it HAS to be divorced using Tech 2 equipment before being removed.

If they cannot guarantee you of this then it will not work in your car and without the donor car (or its VIN if you are very clever) you will be buying a paper weight.

The unit will also require "marrying" using Tech 2 to your car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for the responses guys.

As for that gauge, I appreciate the time in you guys finding that, and I like it.. and it might be the way I need to go. It still doesn't change the font, which I hate. I have a few emails out there to a few different distributors asking if they could get a new gauge cluster for a 00' 9-5, so we'll see. If I can't find any, I'll just buy those rings. Something is better then nothing.

As for the timing belt, I have no idea if it's been done. I do know that before I bought the vehicle, I purchased a carfax on it, and the previous owner posted a message on this vehicle, and it said "this is an excellent car, all the maintenance is up to date, and it drives and looks as if it just came out of the showroom". I was going to try to message him back, however it doesn't give me that option. And if I bring it to a mechanic, based on my past cars - a mechanic can't check that out without taking apart alot of items under the hood. So, I don't really know how I'll be able to look into this. Perhaps if I can find the number of the old owner and call him I guess. I'll need to look into this.

I have noticed the blowing of bulbs issue that I've read others complaining about. When I purchased the vehicle, all my bulbs worked on the exterior. Within the past few days, one of the led's on my third brake light have burnt out, which gives me the annoying message on the SID. One of my headlamps have also burnt out, so I went and bought the Silverstar (I think that's what they were called) Sylvania bulbs, and replaced both just to keep them matched. What a difference in lighting! Very pleased with those lights. Also, I never installed headlights so quickly in a Saab. I was pleasantly shocked to see how easy it is to replace headlights. I might replace the foglamps as well this week, so I hope they are just as easy. My heated seats on the interior though, have never worked. So, I'm going to go by the helpful link that Wulf provided, and go to Radio Shack and purchase those lights, and install them myself - seems pretty easy to do. Thanks Wulf.

As for the CD changer, I noticed that on Ebay as well. However, I looked in my trunk for some prewiring, and I saw nothing. Can someone give me a hint as to where it is exactly? Is ALL the wiring there? Even power and ground? If I was to buy that changer, would it be a simple plug and play and not need to wire anything else up? That seems too good to be true :)

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Please see my responses in your quote below:

nyguy said:
As for that gauge, I appreciate the time in you guys finding that, and I like it.. and it might be the way I need to go. It still doesn't change the font, which I hate. I have a few emails out there to a few different distributors asking if they could get a new gauge cluster for a 00' 9-5, so we'll see. If I can't find any, I'll just buy those rings. Something is better then nothing.

*** I find the font on the gauges is simple and quickly readable, eminently functional - the instrument panel design is one of the features that makes a Saab a Saab. Chrome rings just serve to reflect the sun back into your eyes.

As for the timing belt, I have no idea if it's been done.... I don't really know how I'll be able to look into this. Perhaps if I can find the number of the old owner and call him I guess.

*** a Saab dealer should be able to tell you based on the vehicle's VIN if the work was done at a dealer - and it should have been, since the belt replacement at 60k miles is covered under warranty. The tensioner and pulleys are NOT covered under warranty but are essential to replace - the belt might last to the next change at 120k but the pulleys certainly won't.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts