SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been reading all morning and am still confused about adding a key to our 2006 9-5.
I have one functioning key now. I see uncut keys on Ebay with transmitters for less than $40. As I read the ad it seems to be a used transmitter in a new uncut key housing.
I have read that you need to get a new transmitter that has not been used for a new key to work along with a Tech2 setup. Is that correct?
If it is then I can order a new cut key with new transmitter from Eeuroparts for around $180.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. It is my understanding that the key transmitter is fixed and the Twice is whats programmed to accept the new key transmitter.
I did read somewhere that for some reason I believe if a key transponder has been used it needs to be "renewed" or something before it can be assigned to another car.
Hopefully someone can clear this up.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
On the NG 9-3, keys can "only be used once" (there may be ways around this, but officially, that's the case).

The OG 9-5 like your car, this is not the case. Yes, you program the TWICE twice (the security transponder, and then the remote function) with the key module specifics. Neither TWICE nor the key module know nor care how many cars the key module has been paired with.

Assuming that you have a working key, and a Tech II, you can program up to four transponer/remotes to your car. In fact, you can do this even if you have just one physical key that turns the ignition switch, because you can (quickly) swap the modules in and out of the one physical key to program.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
BTW, you can get a key cut to your VIN (without the guts) for $38 from eeuroparts and esaabparts and partsforsaabs so why get an uncut key? Buy a key cut for your VIN and a used type 2 key on ebay, throw away the key on the used key and stuff the electronics and back into your new key then have it programmed with the Tech 2.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
If I understand the pictures, a 2006 which has the centre-channel key would use A. I have no idea of earlier cars used A or B.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
A for 2003->
C 98-03.
Some 03's used the earlier keys, at least mine did (03 Aero 9-5)

The good news is that if you order the key from one of the usual suspects, they need your VIN to cut it and they'll send you the right one.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Some 03's used the earlier keys, at least mine did (03 Aero 9-5)

The good news is that if you order the key from one of the usual suspects, they need your VIN to cut it and they'll send you the right one.
Most '03 9-5s used the earlier key. My May '03 build 9-5 was about 150 VIN numbers on from the changeover.

Interesting fact: Saab did not reengineer the wagon lock cover. The old-style key pops it off easily; the wider new key does not fit in the slot so it does not work. Of course the key lock went away soon afterwards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have been reading all morning and am still confused about adding a key to our 2006 9-5.
I have one functioning key now. I see uncut keys on Ebay with transmitters for less than $40. As I read the ad it seems to be a used transmitter in a new uncut key housing.
I have read that you need to get a new transmitter that has not been used for a new key to work along with a Tech2 setup. Is that correct?
If it is then I can order a new cut key with new transmitter from Eeuroparts for around $180.

Thanks,
Tom
hi tom - just did this the other week with my 9-3. yes, you do need to get a new key and transmitter fob. the key needs to be cut to your car and the fob needs to programmed to your car using tech 2. it's a pretty easy process once you find someon who has the tech 2. i got my key from SaabUSA. I had to provide the VIN number and they cut it before shipping it to me. it worked perfectly. all told i spent around $160 for key, fob and tech 2 coding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts