SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

As you know, the original 9-3SS key is cheap, tacky and doesn't really suit the car.

So, I've decided to have a set of these made in aluminium.

They are almost identical but made entirely of metal. In case you're wondering, there's an adaptor which plugs (and stays) in to the ignition which converts the rather cumbersome bulb shape key to a slick, slim one. It will lock the key in place (as usual) on first turn and you're able to use your existing PCB, so no need for programming.

I can have either the SAAB logo on the back, or the letters SAAB engraved in to the metal.

There will be a limited run of just 50 at a cost of around £40 each. If you're interested, let me know and I'll be in touch when there's more info.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interested as well. Will you still be able to use an old key?
If you remove the adaptor, yes. ;ol;

The button section is modular, so I can bolt in various different features.

1. A battery meter, which illuminates on key press and a few seconds after release.
2. Fingerprint reader - Only allows car owner to start car.
3. LED Torch (uses own battery cells)
4. Recharge on movement (won't recharge from completely flat, but will keep a fresh battery fully charged)

This isn't a lightweight, flimsy bit of metal either... it's precision made.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sign me up for 2! Looks awesome.

Saab letters engraved on the back.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That would be amazing; I'll definitely be in for 2.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Dibs....

Jc how is it going to be held together and also is there going to be a slot of the key or are you going to remove that?

·
Registered
486 Posts
As you know, the original 9-3SS key is cheap, tacky and doesn't really suit the car.
Cheap yes, but I think it suits the car's soft interior fine. This custom key looks very cold and German.

In case you're wondering, there's an adapter which plugs (and stays) in to the ignition which converts the rather cumbersome bulb shape key to a slick, slim one. It will lock the key in place (as usual) on first turn
Need pics to better explain how this works.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's held together with 4 small screws which are sunk in to the casing... and I'm not sure what you mean by "slot of the key"

If you mean a slot for the key, yes. The adaptor converts the existing key-style slot to one which this key pushes in to.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
id be down for 1

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheap yes, but I think it suits the car's soft interior fine. This custom key looks very cold and German.
Each to their own I suppose. Personally, I don't like the soft & tactile feel; it doesn't exude quality and certainly isn't long-lasting. My original 1989 Pug 205 key was in better condition when I sold it... compared to my second key from a supposedly better car.

You're probably right on the German comment though... but I don't see that as a criticism to be honest. I set out to build a key which, in order of priority, works, is durable and looks nice. The existing key works, but it's certainly not durable and whilst not ugly, it's not going to win any design awards.

Need pics to better explain how this works.
Coming soon...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
These look great!

Im interested in two!

1 - 20 of 175 Posts