SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am the new (and proud) owner of a 99 SAAB 9-3 Turbo 5spd. I love the car, and I love it even more because i got it for $700 at a charity lot. It is absolutley mint.

Anyway, I am a mechanic and work on all my own cars and i thought scince I have never really worked on SAABs I would post a question here to see if there is any common remedies for my problem.

Currently the car's ABS and Brake warning lights are on. Also the speedometer does not work. I did search this forum for some answers and I read that this can be caused by a faulty ABS sensor in the left rear hub? I also read that it can be bad connections to the ABS module. I have cleaned all connections with no luck. I am hoping its not the ABS module.

I have an OTC Genisys scan-tool with ABS scanning ability, but I lack the proper cable for it. Does anyone know what is a good ABS scanner I can get that will scan this for me? I know they are pricey but if I can find one that does multiple makes I can add it to my toolbox at work.

If anyone has any idea where I should go with this please let me know :D. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
649 Posts
From what I've gathered, ABS module is most likely, and thats probably the best case scenario.

just pop it out and send it off for a rebuild.

I'd like to point you to this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1704392

and this one for even more reading:
http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45912

I sent my ABS controller out, they've already finished with it and its on a UPS truck heading back.
Don't know if it fixed the problem, but the service was great and the ABS module was easy enough to remove. Just needed to more the powersteering resevoire, and a second set of hands to move stuff out of the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB...Accessories?hash=item1c08ce01bb#ht_3912wt_998

thats the service I bought. If you want to hang on for a few days, I'll update and let you know if the rebuild took care of my problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot! Please do let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sure thing, I'll keep you informed.
In the meantime, you can still drive around, your ABS won't work so be careful. as for the speedo.........just avoid cops :D

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You're lucky to have an OG9-3. When the system knows that the ABS is fixed, it will extinguish the alarm. On the older NG900s, it's a trip to the dealer or Independant Saab mechanic that has a Tech-II test set to retire the alarm.

Opps, sorry, I was thinking about the SRS system. The ABS should retire once the problem has been fixed... Ron

·
Registered
434 Posts
The same exact thing happened to my Saab...so I took the abs module out....there is an easy instruction for this...took me 10 minutes and I am not a handy person nor a car person...ship it off abs module rebuilder...there are a few on Ebay and got it back in a week ....put it back..and everything is fine....apparently it is a very common problem on late 90's and early 2000 models.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I got mine in today, popped it in my car and all seems well and dandy.

Go ahead and use the ebay link i provided in my first post. the guys were great, finished the rebuild in one day, and its lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok i just sent the ABS module out to be rebuilt. Hopefully I have the same luck Ero did. I will let you all know how it goes. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts