SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good and bad news.
I spoke with my dealer's parts department and SAABUSA and the 2008 Nav DVD is available. Now here is the bad news... It will cost you over $600 for this DVD. I checked the 2008 Version for the 9-5 and the 9-7 and both only cost $199. Also all GM Nav DVD's for their other vehicles appear to be only $199. Has anyone purchased the new DVD and if so what are the new features to warrant this expense?

·
Registered
138 Posts
You sure that price is not is Swedish Kroner?!! I have been waiting for the upgraded disc since there are a lot of new roads around where I live not on the last (2005?) issue; but six hundred bucks is ridiculous!:evil:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Back in July the Saab product manager said it would be out shorty and less than $200.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just checked www.gmnavdisc.com and entered my VIN and got the message below. Funny, they have a new 2008 disc for the 9-5 available, at $199 (not in stock) but not the 9-3.

GMnavdisc.com
877-NAV-DISC
877-628-3472 English Français
VIN Search Results

This VIN triggered information regarding your navigation-equipped GM vehicle. Please review this information to make sure it is correct and this is the car or truck for which you are purchasing the disc update.

Vehicle InformationVIN:YS3FH41U0XXXXXXXX Year:2007Make:SAABModel:9-3
Sorry, a disc update is not available for your vehicle at this time. Since updates are issued periodically, we invite you to check again at your convenience. For further information, please call the GM Nav Disc Center at 877-NAV-DISC. GM Nav Disc Center hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. eastern time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2008 9-3 Nav DVD $671

Parts dept said it would cost $671 for the 2008 9-3 Nav DVD. If you check on every other GM Nav DVD's for all GM systems they fall in the range of $200. I assume the Navi system is the same unit that is installed in the 2007. I'm waiting to see what improvements come with the new DVD and get it when I go in for my computer recall mod.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
gbowhny said:
Good and bad news.
I spoke with my dealer's parts department and SAABUSA and the 2008 Nav DVD is available. Now here is the bad news... It will cost you over $600 for this DVD. I checked the 2008 Version for the 9-5 and the 9-7 and both only cost $199. Also all GM Nav DVD's for their other vehicles appear to be only $199. Has anyone purchased the new DVD and if so what are the new features to warrant this expense?
What model year 9-3 do you have? I have the old-style 2006 nav system and am hitting a stone wall trying to get information on a nav disc update. Navteq says call GM and GM says call Navteq.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From the GM Nav Disc website -

GM is please to offer a subscription program including all new North American 2006 and 2007 model year GM vehicles (excluding Saab) with factory installed navigation systems. Owners of qualified GM vehicles will receive two free update discs for the navigation system on your first and second anniversary.

*Very* irritating they exclude Saab.

·
Registered
437 Posts
gbowhny said:
Good and bad news.
yo Jerry,
At least your Nav unit works. I now you are upset about the 2005 content. I just read that saab has signed a contract with different navigation supplier starting immediately, so possibly the old supplier doesnt care anymore. who knows. something is definetely going on behind the scenes.

Another week's gone by on mine. I think I am at week 10 now and SAAB/GM can not fix nor find a replacement navigation unit which has disabled all audio and nav funtions of my car. I think i remember you saying that they had to replace something on yours due to the Euro delivery.
anyway - my brand new car has just been sitting parked in the street at my house for last 3 weeks undrive-able. SAAB/GM or the dealer will not return my calls or emails.
why why why did I not got with the $300 garmin....

·
Registered
101 Posts
WOW... makes a case for aftermarket NAV units doesn't it. Another GM score to piss off its customers. WHEN will they learn that a happy customer is the best advertising they can have and an unhappy customer the worst. You wonder why they are struggling? Look no further than making a mistake and not owning up to it and making it right. No wonder the foreigns are eating their lunch.

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 looks awesome. Why wouldn't I spend $ 1,800 for a fully loaded system with traffic, backup camera, and bluetooth? I could spend $1,909 for basic NAV or $100 less for fully loaded. Hmmmm.......

Of course, there is either an installation charge or DIY. I think I'll do the DIY and learn more about my car. What's a weekend of fun worth in my garage working on my car? Apparently, about $1,500. Car audio firm quoted me $3,300 for system installed versus what I can buy for online.

·
Registered
437 Posts
kcaudell said:
WOW... makes a case for aftermarket NAV units doesn't it. Another GM score to piss off its customers. WHEN will they learn that a happy customer is the best advertising they can have and an unhappy customer the worst. You wonder why they are struggling? Look no further than making a mistake and not owning up to it and making it right. No wonder the foreigns are eating their lunch.

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 looks awesome. Why wouldn't I spend $ 1,800 for a fully loaded system with traffic, backup camera, and bluetooth? I could spend $1,909 for basic NAV or $100 less for fully loaded. Hmmmm.......

Of course, there is either an installation charge or DIY. I think I'll do the DIY and learn more about my car. What's a weekend of fun worth in my garage working on my car? Apparently, about $1,500. Car audio firm quoted me $3,300 for system installed versus what I can buy for online.
Yeah,
I know i got completly off topic, but you would think GM would solve this problem quickly. there isn't a person I know, wondering why I am driving my Daughters 9-3, and saying "you should get your lawyer involved", "You should just give them the car back," "they cant do that to you" etc. but technically they can. the lemon laws are not as great as everyone thinks. as long as they pretend they are trying to fix it and the car is "drivable" they really dont ever have to solve your problem, ever.. In my opinion the car is not drivable as it is dark early and light late and the screen flashes wildly in my face, also the CD player spins and re-registers constantly and loudly, making me wonder if something else is getting detroyed, or going to burst into flames, so I do not drive the car.
the dealer says, "drive it, it is fine" get a portable radio with batteries and use that while you are driving. nice - a $40,000 car with a $9 radio shack radio on the front seat.
after 9 weeks trying to find a common $200 replacement part, there is not ANYONE that could provide a viable explanation to this fiasco.
although the part would be $600 to purchase, it did not cost more than $200 to manufacture, which is all GM would have to forfeit.
sorry. I am done talking about this. I have no idea what to do.
My sweet A55 ride sits alone in the rain.:cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2008 9-3 Nav DVD $671

I have a 2007 9-3 CV 2.0. I've been told by my Saab dealer's part dept that the 2008 9-3's comes with a new version Nav DVD. Cost for the newer version DVD is $671. Find out what is the product number and see if this price is the same at all parts departments.

Rob in Atlanta said:
What model year 9-3 do you have? I have the old-style 2006 nav system and am hitting a stone wall trying to get information on a nav disc update. Navteq says call GM and GM says call Navteq.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I called my Saab parts dept. today and they don't show an update Nav dvd for the 2007 9-3 in their system.

·
Registered
437 Posts
gbowhny said:
Good and bad news.
Jerry,

do you have a part number for that disc. It would help those of us who's parts departments say that there is no disc available yet.

Also, those guys with NAV... Do you have to keep onstar and/or XM for everything to function properly.

Eric

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Some people think in a few years time factory installed nav will start disappearing from the market. The portable ones are just so superior that people will simply stop choosing the factory ones. I know for sure I will never buy factory nav again. :evil:

·
Registered
138 Posts
platypus said:
Jerry,

do you have a part number for that disc. It would help those of us who's parts departments say that there is no disc available yet.

Also, those guys with NAV... Do you have to keep onstar and/or XM for everything to function properly.

Eric
I doubt you need XM since the unit early on was only available without it.
I don't think having ONSTAR is important but for some reason it was "required" when you bought the NAV unit. Not sure why because they seem independant.
Erik

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know this is an old topic, but I just took delivery of a Turbo X with Nav and I believe that it came with an older version (from 2007) as it is missing newer POIs that the updated 2008 discs have (a friend of mine has a Chevy with the updated nav disc).

Has anyone taken delivery of a car that has the 2008 disc in it? Moreover, is it confirmed that the 2008 disc existis?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Well sounds like you have the newer version as mine is 2005 and there was supposed to a new one last summer (2007) but I don't have it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts