SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 9-3 Linear (smoke beige, w/ light interior). I love it, and I think I got a good price under this new GM employee price plan. Basically, I got the car for what an Accord EXL v6 would have been. I'm excited. My only reservation, however, is the stereo. I have the base system. It could be better. I have read about speaker upgrades.

From what I have read, the best and easiest upgrade is to the front 3.5" speakers. Is this correct? Can anyone recommend a partcular brand/model? My only requirement is that it have a 100% factory look when done. Thanks

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
welcome to central, unfortunately you have wandered in to the wrong forum. you want the 9-3 ss forum, this is for older gen 9-3s, a mod will move this for you.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The two popular choices around here are the Infinitys (Kappa or Reference), and the Boston Acoustics FX3s. I have the Bostons and I really like them. The sound quality improvement from just installing these was impressive. The general consensus seems to be that the Infinitys are a bit bright and can be slightly harsh due to the way Saab equalizes the front speakers. The Bostons have a more neutral sound to them and that's why I chose them. If you haven't read it yet, check out the "Damn Stereo" thread. Lots of good information there on this stereo system. Prepare to be frustrated. :lol:

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Good evening from Paris

Welcome and you will enjoy your New Saab even more with this forum.
Sorry about the gruff and erroneous greeting you got from mg-td..:nono; You are where you should be and you will find with a little "searching" all the info you need. Effectively the one thing many complain about and try to improve is the stereo installation. But you have a great motor and bienvenue.:D

·
Super Moderator
20,240 Posts
Go with the Boston's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Malibu said:
The two popular choices around here are the Infinitys (Kappa or Reference), and the Boston Acoustics FX3s....
I have the same disapointment with my 05' 9-3 Arc (with "Drivers Package") that has the Saab Infotainment (13 speaker/300W) with in-dash 6 Disc CD. It has too much mid range and not enough low end. Turning up the BASS knob just makes the low end muddy and doesn't really help. The back speakers (using the fader) don't sound tooo bad. But the front is aweful.

Your comments about chaning the front speakers sounds like it will help. Mine is a lease, so I dont want to mess with replacing the amp, head unit, etc... However, just the speakers sounds good.

Question...
The BA FX3's are listed as a 4 Ohm, 92 dB sensitivity, 100 - 20kHz frequency response, 12 - 60 Watt rms.
The Infinity Reference 3012cf's are listed as 4 Ohm, 90 db sensitivity, 85 - 21kHz FR, and 2-25 Watt rms.
The Infinity Kappa 32.7cf's are listed as 2 Ohm, 95 db sensitivity, 85-25kHz, FR and 2-35 watt rms.

I thought the stock speakers are 2ohm, but he BA's are 4. So do I want 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers as my replacments?

Due to the lower sensitivity, the Infinity References would probably be more "quite" with the same power, so I think I'd rather have the Kappa's or the BA's.

How is the "low" end on the BA's? (I'm leaning towards them as I can get them at the Tweeter store down the street)

Any suggestions on "local" stores that might have both to be able to compare?

I've seen info on the back, but I haven't found any How To's on replacing the front speakers? i.e. taking everything apart to get them out? Or the front/Center speaker (by the SID).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found an old thread on "3.5 dash speaker install" for the Bostons. A search with those words should turn it up.

What I can never understand about factory stereo systems is why, even though they have respectable wattage output, they always sound so bland. I recently even listened to the 1000w system in a new mustang -- eh, again kinda bland. In my last car, a '99 Accord, I replaced the radio with an after market JVC unit that cost about $175 installed. It sounded pretty darn good (radio and CD) even with the original speakers. If I had spent abother $100 on speakers, much less an amp, it would have been great. It almost seems like all manufacterers try hard to come up with poor factory systems for their cars. Wierd.

One more question to those of you who have done this 3.5" front speaker mod: It seems most people have done it to the 300w system, can anyone comment on the improvement to the 150w system (like I have)? thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
JJGittes said:
One more question to those of you who have done this 3.5" front speaker mod: It seems most people have done it to the 300w system, can anyone comment on the improvement to the 150w system (like I have)? thanks
I have added the bostons to my 7/150 system and have been very happy with the results. The difference is probably even greater with the 7 speaker system, since we don't have any true tweeters. The coaxial bostons really help by both cleaning up the midrange and adding high frequency response that currently they don't have.

Also as asked previosly, I wouldn't worry about the low end response to the 3 1/2 inch speakers, as they are crossed over before that would even come into play. I'm not certain of the crossover frequency, but I guess it's probably around 200-250 Hz

·
Registered
70 Posts
JJGittes said:
I found an old thread on "3.5 dash speaker install" for the Bostons. A search with those words should turn it up.
Thanks, actually after posting that... ;oops: I found the following threads that seem to be exactly what I wanted... (just had a LOT TO Read to find it) ;oops:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45377&page=1&pp=20
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25244

Also found some good info in... http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44569&highlight=speaker but that seemed more geared towards upgrading amps, speakers, and everything. Not exactly what I want to do on a leased car.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Replacing the front speakers with new coaxials will have the same impact regardless of the starting configuration. These are 4 ohm speakers powered by the EHU. There are many 4 ohm aftermarket speakers that will work, but BA and Infinity are favorites here.

The frequency spectrum received by the speakers is the same in all configurations. The only crossover point that changes for any speakers is for the door speakers. In the 300 W system they get 100-250 Hz. In the 150 W system they get 20-250 Hz.

You have to be careful comparing manufacturers' claims on speaker sensitivity. There is no standard by which this is measured. Although they all make claims at 1 W/1 m they never tell you that the performance varies with input frequency. So it may be 92 dB at 1500 Hz, and 89 dB at 1000 Hz.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Though I thought it wouldn't happen, I stumbled yesterday on a pair of BA FX3 in a shop and, what the hell, I have been so disappointed with the sound as it was, let's go for it.

Well... it's amazing. I have the 7/150 setup (es2) and the difference is huge. :eek:

I can no again "pump up" the volume with a smile.:cheesy:

When you know it cost me 60€, why can't saab just put those in the car by default. Just a thought ;)

Ctrlz,

Some advice :
Next, what is more interesting, changing the door speakers or the center one ?
And any advice for the door speakers ?

Thanks everyone for the posts that decided me and guided me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was so exited by the new FX3 that I didn't check the forum before shooting questions, so for newbies like myself, I'll answer one my questions (so maybe senior "forumers" are less anoyed ;) with already answered questions)

For the front door : Image Dynamics CX62 or Infinity Kappa 6 1/2" speakers

But if anyone ahs already upgraded both central & door speakers, Id' like to know if its worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts