SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, new to me anyway. Bought it today, will drive it back to Tucson tomorrow or Monday. Will post pictures later in the week.

It is in valet parking right now and I only drove it a few miles so far. Couple of questions, as I have only been able to scan the owners manual.

1. My current 9-3 Aero is 2.0T for which I use 91 octane (highest available in Arizona). The manual says 90 AON preferred for the V6, 87 acceptable. Do most V6 owners use 89 or 91-93 octane?

2. Dumb question, but the Navi manual doesn't cover it as far as I can tell.....if you have a destination set and use the radio does the Navi operate in the background and you can switch back and forth at will? I could play with it but pretty much I hit the Interstate after getting car out of the lot.

3. The Combi and V6 remind me of my SS 2.0T but feel a little different. haven't stomped on it yet but the low end of the 2.0T feels as strong as the V6. handling seems similar. Brakes seem slower to respond, more pedal travel. Brakes do not seem worn, just different feel.

4. Can hardly tell it's a wagon!!!!

I'm a so happy :D

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Congrats dude! Still miss my SC, think they are the best looking Saab ever. Big call I know. Nothing wrong with the SS, just the wagon looks hot from every angle. My next Saab 9-3 will probably be a SC again. What colour did you get?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fusion Blue. When buying used color is a secondary consideration to mileage, price and condition. Would have preferred Black, Red or Nocturne Blue but Fusion Blue is growing on me!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Dude, that is my favourite colour! My 2006 Linear SC and now my 2009 Vector SS are Fusion Blue. My 2005 Aero SS was black - real pain. Love Fusion blue and SCs, great combination! Would like a red car as well but extremely rare in Australia.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Congrats dude! Still miss my SC, think they are the best looking Saab ever. Big call I know. Nothing wrong with the SS, just the wagon looks hot from every angle. My next Saab 9-3 will probably be a SC again. What colour did you get?

Awesome and ditto to Nijees comments--couldn't agree more and also color. The Fusion Blue was also the color of my '06 SC Aero with the parchment interior--great combo.

Zin you'll love it. And I'm guessing it's the FWD with the 255 hp engine? I believe that states 90 octane and the 280 XWD states 93 octane.
89 should fine for most driving. Keep in mind you need the extra octane when you are into the boost such as aggressive city driving. Cruising down the freeway and seldom into the boost 89 should be just fine.

And the V6 should have a distinctly different feel that the 2.0T.
Lastly you have to get a tune--you wouldn't believe how it transforms the V6.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Love mine, but it's Snow Silver! Bought new in 2009, owned for 3+ years, 40K miles. Few problems, all warranty.
That is a cool color too;ol; I bet you have never seen an identical one yet!

·
Registered
683 Posts
That is a cool color too;ol; I bet you have never seen an identical one yet!
Oh yes, a few. Last week, I parked at a local discount store right next to a 2007 (by VIN #) that was otherwise identical. Almost shot a cell phone picture. I agree that they are rare, however.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome and ditto to Nijees comments--couldn't agree more and also color. The Fusion Blue was also the color of my '06 SC Aero with the parchment interior--great combo.

Zin you'll love it. And I'm guessing it's the FWD with the 255 hp engine? I believe that states 90 octane and the 280 XWD states 93 octane.
89 should fine for most driving. Keep in mind you need the extra octane when you are into the boost such as aggressive city driving. Cruising down the freeway and seldom into the boost 89 should be just fine.

And the V6 should have a distinctly different feel that the 2.0T.
Lastly you have to get a tune--you wouldn't believe how it transforms the V6.
Yep, FWD, 255 HP. As gas prices are coming down I will probably stick with the 91 Octane for gas, or sometimes mix in a half tank of 89!

Have had a tune on my mind, got to get it when the wife isn't looking! I prefer the OBD device as I can change back if I need to. maybe a combined Christmas and Birthday gift to myself.

After I get home I will jump in the 2.0T and then the V6 for comparison. My first impression is i thin I perceive the torque increase but the 2.0T seems to let you know it's there more than the V6.

The SC is so nice. Just drove around 200 miles from California to Yuma and it felt like a sedan with strong winds and a 4400 foot rise and drop in elevation along the way. Actually first time had driven a SC, I went looking just based on the looks and utility.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
BTW, I easily figured out the Navi/radio once I got in the car this morning. Duh.......

But another question? How do I know which of the four sound systems I have? The manual just gives their power ratings and some other specs. I do know there is a big (10", 12"?) subwoofer built into the spare tire hatch cover, L&R speakers in the dash and front doors, and a center speaker. Don't see any rear door or rear speakers, though there is a fader so they must be there someplace. The radio does have low, mid, bass adjustments, that's all I've noticed so far. Too hot to play around in it right now to find those missing speakers, 105F in Yuma.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
BTW, I easily figured out the Navi/radio once I got in the car this morning. Duh.......

But another question? How do I know which of the four sound systems I have? The manual just gives their power ratings and some other specs. I do know there is a big (10", 12"?) subwoofer built into the spare tire hatch cover, L&R speakers in the dash and front doors, and a center speaker. Don't see any rear door or rear speakers, though there is a fader so they must be there someplace. The radio does have low, mid, bass adjustments, that's all I've noticed so far. Too hot to play around in it right now to find those missing speakers, 105F in Yuma.
Should have the Bose system. Do you front dash speakers say Bose?

Mid year sometime they upgraded to the Bose Centerpoint 5.1 system in the Aero's. If you go into setting (hit the right knob once) you should have some choices such as talk etc. If Centerpoint is a choice you have the upgraded system (which btw I don't think does that much:roll:)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Two speakers in the rear hatch. You should use 91 RON petro, but you can use 87 or 89 but the ECU will sense the octane and reduce the HP in due course, thus reducing the power. The power curve is different that the 2.0 litre Turbo, and so is the weight (100 lbs more), with more forward weight, thus braking would seem a little soft / slower that the 2T SS. Welcome and ditto to what Nijee stated.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
The good news is that any Aero has a better suspension than a 2.0 FWD.

For a few hundred bucks, your 255 horse engine will go to 320 hp with a Vtune from Brian. That is a "stage 0" and the other good news is better fuel mileage.

Hopefully the weak points were hit under warranty; things like the coolant tank and get ready for coil packs. That said, if you opt for a tune, that may be when the coil pack will act up. Funny, Brian took 35 seconds to tell me I had a weak #3 as he hooked his laptop in before the tune. What was real odd was that the dealer, under warranty, missed this totally even though he was "trouble shooting" and working on the car for a full week? And this was a "Saab Only" dealer. It seems that my expectations for our "Saab Only" were a bit high and weeks later it hit me they never told me why my car stopped running in addition to scarring the wheels.

:roll:

I almost forgot to mention that you can't fit up an upper (tower to tower), sway bar. It almost fits but the bar does put some pressure on the tank. I thought Genuine Saab had been working on one and places like State of Nine and MapTun have one that "fits" and there is a rumor about some mods to help it, but I was never to comfy about being about 200 miles from East Bumfuk and having a tank cut loose on me. The lowers work however if you feel the need to stiffen the Combi up.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

I'm comparing it to a 2004 Aero 2.0 T so suspension should be similar, right? Compared to a 2008 non-Aero, I agree, suspension would be better in the Aero.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yep, FWD, 255 HP. As gas prices are coming down I will probably stick with the 91 Octane for gas, or sometimes mix in a half tank of 89!
I run 87 all the time. The knock sensors retard the timing and restrain the turbo and Bob's your uncle. I can hardly tell the difference. Just a little more hesitation when I stomp it.

·
Registered
141 Posts

For a few hundred bucks, your 255 horse engine will go to 320 hp with a Vtune from Brian. That is a "stage 0" and the other good news is better fuel mileage.

Hopefully the weak points were hit under warranty; things like the coolant tank and get ready for coil packs. That said, if you opt for a tune, that may be when the coil pack will act up. Funny, Brian took 35 seconds to tell me I had a weak #3 as he hooked his laptop in before the tune. What was real odd was that the dealer, under warranty, missed this totally even though he was "trouble shooting" and working on the car for a full week? And this was a "Saab Only" dealer. It seems that my expectations for our "Saab Only" were a bit high and weeks later it hit me they never told me why my car stopped running in addition to scarring the wheels.

:roll:

I almost forgot to mention that you can't fit up an upper (tower to tower), sway bar. It almost fits but the bar does put some pressure on the tank. I thought Genuine Saab had been working on one and places like State of Nine and MapTun have one that "fits" and there is a rumor about some mods to help it, but I was never to comfy about being about 200 miles from East Bumfuk and having a tank cut loose on me. The lowers work however if you feel the need to stiffen the Combi up.
TunnanXWD,

I also have an 08 Aero SC. I'm considering the tune but am hesitant of potential reliability risks. I wanted to ask why does Vtuners first stage add 65 hp while the other big names first stage only add 30 to 35 hp first stage?

thx

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I run 87 all the time. The knock sensors retard the timing and restrain the turbo and Bob's your uncle. I can hardly tell the difference. Just a little more hesitation when I stomp it.
You're kidding correct? If so you are losing mpg's running 87 octane. I documented this a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm comparing it to a 2004 Aero 2.0 T so suspension should be similar, right? Compared to a 2008 non-Aero, I agree, suspension would be better in the Aero.
The V6 Aero's suspension is more robust, lower springs, bigger sway bars, overall more performance oriented than the Aero 2.oT.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh yes, a few. Last week, I parked at a local discount store right next to a 2007 (by VIN #) that was otherwise identical. Almost shot a cell phone picture. I agree that they are rare, however.
Diddo and Diddo got one to, also 08 bought new in 09, love the car, had the rear windows tinted looks alot better to.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The V6 Aero's suspension is more robust, lower springs, bigger sway bars, overall more performance oriented than the Aero 2.oT.
Thanks, I'll take the time later to look up the specs. I do know they have the biggger brakes up front, 314MM (I believe) rather than 302MM

Are they hard on tires or what? Second owner replaced OEMs at 18K miles, now at 32K there is less than 5,000 miles (estimate when tread depth is 4/32-5/32) left on BF Goodrich gSports summers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts