SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car wouldn't start this morning. Called Roadside Assistance - they towed my car to the dealership, and they called me this afternoon. "Main computer" is bad and they're replacing it. :evil:

I had hesitations on buying a 9-3 or a domestic vehicle of any type. I hope this is the only problem I ever have so it changes my opinion of domestics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First of all, sorry to hear about your problem with your new Saab. Second of all, welcome to the Forum! It's always bad when something goes wrong with your car, but you will find this forum very useful when it comes to problem solving, troubleshooting, and upgrading your car.

Finally don't give up on your Saab so soon..... I have 10,000 trouble free miles on my Arc, and hopefully plenty more trouble free miles in the future. Good luck with your CPU, I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
GeeBee said:
Car wouldn't start this morning. Called Roadside Assistance - they towed my car to the dealership, and they called me this afternoon. "Main computer" is bad and they're replacing it. :evil:

I had hesitations on buying a 9-3 or a domestic vehicle of any type. I hope this is the only problem I ever have so it changes my opinion of domestics.
Not to pick nits or anything ... but how do you come up with Saab being a domestic vehicle? The block is ECOTEC, but the electronics and programming are pure Swedish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I do enjoy the car, wish I'd paid out a bit more for 210 hp, but it's fine the way it is for now. Nocturne blue pain, off-white leather seating, and heated seats are great!

93 - don't worry about nitpicking, I very well could be ignorant. But do you think it's possible that domestic GM engineers or employees have influence on quality control, policy, and procedure? Or do you believe GM has had no influence on any changes to the original Saabs?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yep, technically the only thing "domestic" about the car, unless you count corporate ownership by GM, is the basic unibody structure (Epsilon) and the engine block. Even the *head* is Swedish.

Don't feel bad, tho... it seems electronics problems are becoming more and more common amongst ALL makes, Japanese, european, whatever.:cry: My 2003 Nissan 350Z I traded for my 2005 9-3ss ate a major electrical component every 6-8 months like clockwork, had over 30 days of cumulative downtime in 2.5 years.:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not trying to rip on Saab, I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't think they were good cars.

But, I'm coming off a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse GT that was fully paid off and had 98k miles on it. I never put one cent into maintenance except for air filter, oil and filter, brakes, and tires, and I did it all myself. I never had one problem with the car and it was the best I'd ever driven. So anything less at this point, is not good enough.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hear you! The car I had prior to my 350Z was a 1998 Eclipse, and it too was 100% problem-free for 40k+ miles. Sometimes I regret ever getting rid of it, but I luv my Saab! ;) You know, I always find it odd how so many people knock Mitsubishi reliability... obviously they've never owned one!:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Electronics can go wrong in any car. Few months ago a friend of mine bought a Golf and couldnt start it the next day. Bummer....

·
Registered
846 Posts
but how do you come up with Saab being a domestic vehicle? The block is ECOTEC, but the electronics and programming are pure Swedish.
Good question! lol

OP -

I am under the impression that as of this moment, all Saab 9-3's have come out of the Trollhatten plant in Sweden. You dont own a domestic car...but an import car who's parent company just happens to be an American company

Your Saab is no less an import than your neighbors Mercedes (Chrysler), or Volvo (Ford) :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

Ours made it "all the way" to 470 miles this evening - trouble free! I suppose we should be happy? Now I know I'm jinxing it!

To make things screwier for you, I bet the main computer is mostly Mitsubishi chips - most cars are nowadays.

Tough break, but at least your new computer will have 450 less miles on it!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hopefully the rest of your ownership will go trouble free. My Linear just turned 20,000 miles without a single problem. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hang in there. Remember, this is not your regular Japanese econobox that keeps on going even without an oil change. ( My wife's '91 Corolla went the last 40,000km without an oil change. It was still purring as I drove it to the wreck.) Unfortunately, high performance doesn't mean high reliability. Don't think that cars like BMW and Audi don't have quality problems. It may take you few years to get ALL the bugs ironed out but the upside is that you won't have to spend any money for it while it's under warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the education and advice everyone. I guess my opinion of domestics and imports will have to change!

With proper maintenance, I am optimistic that my new Saab will give me no more troubles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Melovesha said:
and also remember that a Linear is not 210hp... it's 185.
Yup, that's why I said I wished I'd paid a bit more and gotten a 210 hp Saab. Although, I thought the Linears were 175 hp?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Every car is individual with its thousands of parts and you are now on a final test phase.

Latest 9-3 was definitely rushed to market by GM, but still they should have had enough time by now to make its computer electronics more reliable. On the other hand I have no statistics what so ever about 05 situation. Saab makes tens of thousands 9-3's and somebody comes here and tells about one major computer problem.

9-3 SS didnt sell so good as planned, why? I'm dead sure that rushed launch was the most important reason. When next 9-3 and 9-5 comes, Saab simply hasnt afford to repeat those problems that present 9-3 has/had.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Welcome GeeBee.

Apologies from the pedantic responses to your post. Hope that with the ECU fixed you have no more problems.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
TuuSaR said:
Every car is individual with its thousands of parts and you are now on a final test phase.

Latest 9-3 was definitely rushed to market by GM, but still they should have had enough time by now to make its computer electronics more reliable. On the other hand I have no statistics what so ever about 05 situation. Saab makes tens of thousands 9-3's and somebody comes here and tells about one major computer problem.

9-3 SS didnt sell so good as planned, why? I'm dead sure that rushed launch was the most important reason. When next 9-3 and 9-5 comes, Saab simply hasnt afford to repeat those problems that present 9-3 has/had.
Hi TuuSar.

What makes you think GM rushed the 9-3 SS to market? Your comment is the first I've heard of that...

·
Registered
56 Posts
GeeBee said:
Yup, that's why I said I wished I'd paid a bit more and gotten a 210 hp Saab. Although, I thought the Linears were 175 hp?
According to everything I've seen, they are 175 HP. Still decent performers though.

As for Saab rushing the 9-3 to market and that being the cause of "lack-luster" sales, I think the real issue is that the car is simply not marketed as well as it could be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since when is Saab suffering from "lack-luster" sales of the 9-3? I thought their sales have been rising dramatically largely from the 9-3....

And a note about Mitsubishi's reliability.... I owned a 3000GT, got rid of it after 8 months due to: bad transmission, bad struts, fried computer, failed water pump, fried computer again... need I continue? haha I did love the car, when I was able to actually drive it. Too bad I got stuck with a lemon.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts