SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I noticed just a couple weeks ago and was wondering if it is something I should be concerned with. The two pictures show what I am talking about. The front right side of the engine looks like it is weeping oil from what I assume is the valve cover. There are also three treaded holes surrounding the oil seep. I didn't notice anything loose or floating around the engine compartment so I don't think anything has fallen off. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
The freeze plugs?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Distributor Hole Plug

That's a rubber and metal plug that fills the hole in the cylinder head where the distributor used to be installed years ago. Since it's rubber, it's gotten brittle and shrunk over time so it needs to be replaced. I replaced mine when I cleaned out my Cylinder Head cover and renewed my Cylinder Head cover gasket. The clamp that I'm holding in my hand in the photo is really hard to get off, you'll need a "tamper proof" torx bit and you'll need to coat the clamp
in the screw holes and around the edges with PB blaster or Kano Kroil and let it sit overnight and finally, the clamp will come off. You can see in the photo, it's installed with Loctite 518. Leaks annoy me, so I wasn't about to let this go until I resolved it. Once you replace the rubber stopper, using a little loctite 518 on it and on the clamp when re-installing, you won't see any oil seepage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts