SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been putting up with the whole erratic starting for a while. I am going to try to clean my NSS. My indie mechanic mentioned that when these fail the car often fails to start from a stop in 1st gear. He said this was because there is a second switch built into the NSS that tells the ECU what gear the transmission is in.

Can anyone better explain this for me? Are there any detailed instructions for this job?

Cheers!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you tried the NSS bypass yet? There are detailed instructions if you search this forum. At least bypassing it will tell you wether or not your problem really is the NSS.

I had this issue and it ended up just being a coroded cable connection on the starter. Check all of your cables but specialy the positive cable that runs to the starter then on to the altanator. The bad connection I had didnt even look that coroded but a quick cleaning with some sand paper on the conectors solved my issue after months of messing with the NSS, starter and battery etc...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Note that if you have a manually shifted car, you don't have a range sensor!
There isn't a 'second switch' as such, but the range sensor has several functions.
The range sensor, as the name implies, does tell the control unit which position has been selected by the driver. The trans output shaft has a speed sensor, and the control unit compares the speed of the output shaft with the speed calculated from engine rpm and range selected as indicated by the range sensor. This system also controls the reversing lights.The trans also has solenoid activated valves, which might depend on the range sensor, but I am not certain if that is the case.The range sensor has a fair number of wires connected to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts