SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2000 93 turbo won't start. it is inconsistent. here is the scenario-

disclaimer: yes, it does have the neutral position switch problem, but i found that moving the car, or moving the shifter from park to other settings and back solves this issue - at least temporarily. doing so is prompted by no turnover, no nothing when turning the ignition.

so, my other problem is different. in the morning or even afternoon or night, car will start after sitting - let's say overnight. outside temperature isn't an issue as it has started/not started with temperature variables.

so, let's say car starts and i am on my way. drive to store, get out and go shopping. come back +/- 1.5 hours later. won't start. sit and try. sit and wait. sit and try. ignition turns over and over and over. acts like no fuel getting to engine.

if i wait a little longer, say another 45 mins. it will start as if never a problem. like it does when starting after overnight.

sometimes when driving, engine will hiccup or sort of hesitate but never turns off.

recently, went to Ikea, was shopping for 3 hours. came out and car wouldn't start. tried for 1.5 hours. nothing. took cab home. came back 18 hours later and it started no problem.

if i drive car, park it and turn off engine, then restart - it works no problem. even if i wait say 2-3 minutes.

some say it is a fuel filter issue. i have purchased a replacement filter. how difficult and how do you replace old one?

also, any thoughts about the problem? is it the filter?

some say that sediment gets activated when driving so when parked the fuel line is blocked until enough time has passed for sediment to settle to bottom of filter? any validity?

:eek:

-shay

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
my 2000 93 turbo won't start. it is inconsistent. here is the scenario-

disclaimer: yes, it does have the neutral position switch problem, but i found that moving the car, or moving the shifter from park to other settings and back solves this issue - at least temporarily. doing so is prompted by no turnover, no nothing when turning the ignition.

so, my other problem is different. in the morning or even afternoon or night, car will start after sitting - let's say overnight. outside temperature isn't an issue as it has started/not started with temperature variables.

so, let's say car starts and i am on my way. drive to store, get out and go shopping. come back +/- 1.5 hours later. won't start. sit and try. sit and wait. sit and try. ignition turns over and over and over. acts like no fuel getting to engine.

if i wait a little longer, say another 45 mins. it will start as if never a problem. like it does when starting after overnight.

sometimes when driving, engine will hiccup or sort of hesitate but never turns off.

recently, went to Ikea, was shopping for 3 hours. came out and car wouldn't start. tried for 1.5 hours. nothing. took cab home. came back 18 hours later and it started no problem.

if i drive car, park it and turn off engine, then restart - it works no problem. even if i wait say 2-3 minutes.

some say it is a fuel filter issue. To be brutal, this is plain foolish..i have purchased a replacement filter. how difficult and how do you replace old one?This has little or nothing to do with the no start..BUT, its one of many maintenance items and should be changed every 50K or so.
Easy(fairly) to change...

also, any thoughts about the problem? is it the filter? no, but are we dealing with a filter with 150K plus miles on it...3 time past its change time ??

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106537
some say that sediment gets activated when driving so when parked the fuel line is blocked until enough time has passed for sediment to settle to bottom of filter? any validity? This I doubt..

:eek:

-shay
Any codes ?
Any smell of gas during a no-start ?
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127363
Please do the service(maintenance work) then the diagnosis and troubleshooting, then the actual repair.
Right now, to make things easier, we need to recondition the NSS..it is on its way south...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't checked codes yet. i will do that tomorrow as well as replace fuel filter.

NSS = Neutral Switch etc? how do i go about "reconditioning" that?

Any codes ?
Any smell of gas during a no-start ?
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127363
Please do the service(maintenance work) then the diagnosis and troubleshooting, then the actual repair.
Right now, to make things easier, we need to recondition the NSS..it is on its way south...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Sounds a bit like a CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor problem... read up on it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
***UPDATE***

well, while in the drive thru at Burger King, the car stalled and engine shut down. can't restart and was stranded. had to take a cab home :(

any suggestions for next steps? i am going to have car towed to my house tomorrow.

please help.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
jstrowe wrote a post that is a good source for a series of steps that the owner can take to determine by a process of elimination the probable cause of a no start. I believe that post can be found in the FAQ's for this forum. Or if you just want to pin the tail on the donkey while blindfolded, you could replace the CPS (crank position sensor)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts