SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girlfriend and I have been shopping for a car for her for awhile now, everything from an x3 to a 328 xdrive to a Tiguan Lease since I work at a VW store in sales and am familiar with BMW's since I have owned a few and previously worked in service before selling at VW

Then one of my coworkers took in a 2009 9-3 Aero Combi XWD with an auto and I figured this would be a good fit for her. It has just about every option, the dealership I work for previously had Saab sales as well and my owner said it has the Nav, upgraded leather (can't remember what its called) it also has memory seat and dual power seats along with Bose sound.

Now this car only has 56k miles on it and was a 1 owner vehicle and from the looks of it and talking with the previous owner the car was amazingly maintained. My boss said he would sell us the car for $15,000 and all it needed when they took it in on trade was for the brakes to be turned. The car has 2 tiny door dings on it thats it and it is immaculate other wise.

On to the real questions that I am concerned about. How is the reliability on these models? I know the 2.0t's are reliable but how about this 2.8t? The dealer I work at still services Saabs and has the parts department but I don't want this car to have any major issues. Also how fair do you guys feel the price is? I did an NADA check and it looks like clean retail is $17,100 but how do you guys feel about the $15,000 I am paying????

I just don't want to get her into a car that is going to cause a lot of repairs and headaches.

I just can't find a lot on this car as far as issues posted online but I know its a rare car.

Please any help would be appreciated. I am looking to buy it tomorrow if all is well.

saab4.jpg

saab5.jpg

saab2.jpg

saab6.jpg

saab3.jpg

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The price of $15,000 seems to be full retail according to Edmunds with the mileage, color and condition listed. Were I to be working for a dealership, I would expect some type of discount off of retail.

·
Super Moderator
19,132 Posts
XWD is not very reliable. The coolant tank, coilpacks, and lots of other plastics get brittle and break due to the heat in the engine bay. Motor wise they are robust. $15k seems a tad high IMO. $14k should make them a reasonable profit and you get a good car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price of $15,000 seems to be full retail according to Edmunds with the mileage, color and condition listed. Were I to be working for a dealership, I would expect some type of discount off of retail.
Yeah I just saw that.

Huh. I guess I should talk to my manager about that. I don't know what we took it in for but it is a super nice car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No no no, she doesn't want an auto. She wants a manual. Maybe one like this perhaps: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472258

In seriousness, my experience with my car has overall been pretty positive. XWD maintenance (fluids) are a bit expensive, and I've heard the horror stories of failures, but I have an extended warranty to take care of the major issues. The XWD in terms of performance, especially in snow, is wonderful. Very predictable, and will kick the tail out if you ask for a nice little drift. Super solid traction with winter tires installed.

Coils for the V6 are also a pain due to their cost, and I had to have the power steering pump replaced at a shop due to not wanting to deal with getting to it. The main reason I am selling however is the gas mileage. I average 21 mpg in mostly highway driving, and haven't done better than 24ish on a tank. And of course it takes premium.

I love having the Combi though, you will not believe how much stuff you can cram into these things.

Hope this helps!

Edit: just noticed the PO's labeling. A bit anal retentive and perhaps goofy looking, but damn if that ain't a good idea!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I looked at 2 Turbo-Xs in the fall of 2013 in NE Ohio and a 9-5 Aero XWD in the winter of 2014. The two Turbo-Xs both had reported damage per CarFax and the 9-5, which was literally 3 miles from me was leased by an inexperienced owner. When I asked the owner about maintenance to the transmission, transfer case and rear differential, he had no idea what I was talking about.

If you download the Version 3.0 WIS, you will see that only about half of the RWD drive assembly can be ordered as separate parts , the others are a part of a large and expensive assembly. The propeller shaft is around $1100 and the rear differential $5-k. But, the oil, filters, pump and gaskets are available separately.

Then, as others have said, the coils, clutch, dual mass flywheel (DMF), are also expensive if you can't DIY... Ron

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's a Saab and it's going to have problems but ..

Coils are not as expensive as on the 2.8 and are about $70 each while the coils for the 2.0 are about $120 each but you only need four of them.

I like my 2.8 engine a lot but had a tune done on it, these are heavy cars and it needed it or it was going to go bye-bye. Stock these cars are 15.5 in the 1/4 mile.

Wife has a 2.0 XWD manual and likes it ... I have the 2.8 and like my automatic. I've had close to 100 cars and most were manual but driving an auto seems more an ego thing and in theory an auto turbo is quicker.

Cars and reliability? We have had a number of problems with our cars but my buddy has had every GTI version since day 1 and a few years ago came over to Saab because the VW turbos and electrics were killing him. Long wait for parts and poor service.

Price to me seems very high, we are driving orphans and the price of parts is high.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The labeling was just put on and is probably a lame attempt to appear like they took care of the car.

The one picture of the label that mentions the tire pressure and oil change, there's visible dirt and rust... but the label looks new.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
There is an impending issue with the 4 cylinder Saabs of like 2006 thru 2009 and possibly the Muller cars of 11' too.

Handling is way better on the Aero cars or any X cars since they have sport suspensions so I have to disagree with the poster above. They day I bought our 2009 I drove just under a dozen AWD cars and kept coming back after a drive down back roads. I've been in Saabs since 1984 and have owned or driven most, even the Sonett II, the AWD's suspensions are self leveling and .. well expensive to fix (good news and bad news). Figure on a tad over $1,200 for shocks.

Oh, that engine appears to be hastily detailed with that silicon shiny stuff and to me that K&N air filter sticky tape thing sounds like a red flag. They are essentially useless and for guys who want to make turbo sounds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
$15,000 is way too high. I especially would not buy an xwd vehicle.
Well, I'm not sure on the XWD vehicle, but as much as I love my Saab, I'd have to say that in 2015, for the average customer to buy a used Saab you absolutely have to, as a baseline condition, be getting an amazing deal. ESPECIALLY if you're not an enthusiast. I mean, you have:

- No more car company...
- Shaky parts situation...
- Scattered repair knowledge...
- Fragile vehicles...
- Expensive everything...

And 15K buys you some very decent used cars. Any number of desirable Infiniti G's, Volvos, Lexus IS's, and Acuras can be had for that coin, plus some enthusiast specials like 1st gen CTS-V's and 300c SRT's. And those are models that have existent car companies and parts and the like.

With many a '08 Turbo-X online recently for 11-15K, I'd even go so far as to say this vehicle for sale would need to be 11K or less for me to raise an eyebrow...

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Run this on Kelly Blue Book and a different set of numbers pop up. In round numbers the trade value on the car was about $11,700 and you can expect to buy one for about $13,400. It sounds like this was a former Saab dealer and perhaps you get a break on service so that is a positive thing since they have the Tech II access and mechs who aren't totally incompetent however I did have a few major problems on two occasions with dealer trouble shooting and parts changing under warranty making a simple job into a huge bill but I just suspect they may have been sticking it to GM.

Your dealership is GM I assume?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seems high to me, particularly if you work for the dealership. Obviously not the exact same car, but at least there are a few things that are relatively inline. Three weeks ago I purchased a 2011 SC Aero with 40K on it. All options, sans Nav. The 2011 Aero's were the 2.0T versus the 2.8T and mine is not an XWD. Paid $14,750. But know that I did buy it out of state (FL) and not here in Minnesota. I assume you're dealing with Schmelz?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I didn't see the mileage listed, but if it's low and the $15,000 includes the warranty, then it's an OK deal. For the year, I'd be much more comfortable around $13,000. Although, I don't know how much a warranty usually costs in addition to a cars value.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I didn't see the mileage listed, but if it's low and the $15,000 includes the warranty, then it's an OK deal. For the year, I'd be much more comfortable around $13,000. Although, I don't know how much a warranty usually costs in addition to a cars value.
Depending on the type and length, anywhere from $1500 to $4000 retail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts