SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any 2003 lease holders, been able to negotiate a better "buy the car" price at lease end with Saab.....ie, purchase it for less than residual? i would think given resale values, warranty costs to a new buyer, and rehab costs...they would like you to buy the car!

Help!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have always heard that you should offer them trade in value for the car. Not sure if that's true or not. I would think that there is much more hassle for them if they have to resell the car: reconditioning, advertising, etc. All of that costs money.

I do know that the residual prices seem to be a little high. Make an offer. Although I think to drive a hard bargain you have to act like you're willing to walk away.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can't speak about Saab buy out experience, but two years ago I scored about $1500 off the buyout of a Nissan Sentra I had leased (4 years)for my daughter. Not only that but they gave me a 5% signature loan (i.e. free and clear title in my name).

About 5 months before the lease expired Wells Fargo began sending info on the lease end options - turn it in, extend the lease, or buy it for the contract residual. I had already decided to buy it because my kid needed a car at school and the Sentra had held up well and was low mileage. But since the lease wasn't up for another 5 months I didn't feel any urgency to do anything. About 3 weeks later they called to see make sure I knew what my options were, emphasizing the buy out. Said I'd think about it. Then about 2 weeks later I got a letter saying they would knock $500 off the buyout. Just sign the paperwork and mail it back. Sounded Ok, but I tend to procrastinate. Then 2 weeks later I get another call from Wells asking whether I was going to do the buy out for $500 off. Said I was thinking about it. The guy who called asked how many miles on the car. I told him it 30k, which was 10k under the allotment. He immediately said that maybe he could do better, and after a few minutes came back with an extra $1000 off deal along with the 5% signature loan offer. Done deal.

Anyway I currently have a 3 year lease on a fully loaded 2003 9-3 ARC that comes due in 1 year. Part of my decision to lease it was the gamble of being able to beat Saab finance down on the residual at lease end. When I leased it 2 years ago they were using a lease rate that equated to about 1% inteterest and a pumped the residual up to get monthly payments to be more attractive. The gamble was also predicated on the notoriously poor deprciation rates for Saabs and my thinking this would continue to be the case with the 9-3.

Right now, barring any change in present satisfaction levels with the ARC, I will probably be looking to buy it. But I'm hoping the residual will prove to be higher than what the used market will sustain when turn in time comes. One thing for sure is that I will stay under the mileage allotment. That way Saab can't use any overage charges due from me on a turn in as either an offset for their too high residual or as any inducement for me to buy. If comparable used vehicles in the open are going for less than my lease residual and they can't hook me for mileage charges then for sure they will have to cut me a deal. I'm also thinking that in general they'd rather cut a deal than take the car back. Also thinking that if they don't want to budge on residual maybe they will go for certifying it and extending the warranty. That would be worth soemthing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts