SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says. We’re currently getting the P0089 code for low fuel pressure. I already swapped the fuel pressure sensor with a known good as it was free and easy. However, I’m getting the same issues. It drives fine for a little bit, then sets the check engine light. A little while later the car starts acting like it has a bad misfire under any heavy load or when I get into boost. I’m looking to buy a new pump for the car, but at least on Rock Auto, the only one available is the Spectra Performance for $235. Will I have any issues with that one, or am I good to go buying and installing it?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Needs to support the returnless system, that's the critical part.

The one I picked up and was recommended on the boards is:

AEM 50-1000

It's a 340LPH, more than enough to fuel your aspiring performance needs or fuel a stock one with zero issue.

Way cheaper and better than a stock replacement or any basic stock aftermarket like one.

I picked mine up at Jegs with like a 10 buck coupon and free shipping, I think I landed it less than 80 bucks a few months back.

Still need to slap it in one of these days, as my pump is still adequate, but likely only has a year or so left of sustaining my basic Stage0 tune.

Enjoy.

Note: Also make sure your fuel lines aren't plugged. A known issue on these cars as you may know. I run top tier fuel and additives at times to keep her clean and primed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Needs to support the returnless system, that's the critical part.

The one I picked up and was recommended on the boards is:

AEM 50-1000

It's a 340LPH, more than enough to fuel your aspiring performance needs or fuel a stock one with zero issue.

Way cheaper and better than a stock replacement or any basic stock aftermarket like one.

I picked mine up at Jegs with like a 10 buck coupon and free shipping, I think I landed it less than 80 bucks a few months back.

Still need to slap it in one of these days, as my pump is still adequate, but likely only has a year or so left of sustaining my basic Stage0 tune.

Enjoy.

Note: Also make sure your fuel lines aren't plugged. A known issue on these cars as you may know. I run top tier fuel and additives at times to keep her clean and primed.
Thanks for the info. I’m guessing I need to pull the old pump out of its basket and install the aem one it? I’m going to try and find some of the ac Delhi top engine cleaner, but it’s currently out of stock on amazon. I might try some of the big 44k that I’ve seen some people recommend in the mean time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same code and contacted Brian Blair at Vermont Tuning for advice as I wanted a pump capable of supporting all of his tunes and the potential for E85. This is what he recommended:
"You can use either an Aeromotive 11142-340 or a Walbro F90000267 and 400-1168 install kit. Both require some modification of the fuel basket assembly, but the Aeromotive is easier to install and requires less modification."

Given this advice, I purchased the Aeromotive pump, but he personally runs 12s on the Walbro.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I will be purchasing an Aeromotive 11142 in the near future. Seems like its the best fit and its E85 capable

·
Registered
355 Posts
I installed the Spectra Premium SP5006M Fuel Pump last summer on my FWD 2.8 and it performs great. I’m on VTuner Stage 2 with other supporting mods. It cured the code and I could feel much stronger and smoother acceleration. Data logging shows it it delivers fuel as needed for some very spirited driving!

You will want to get one of these tools as well. The locking ring was so tight on mine that even with this and a breaker bar it was a challenge.

OTC 6599 Universal Fuel Pump Lock Tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the Spectra Premium SP5006M Fuel Pump last summer on my FWD 2.8 and it performs great. I’m on VTuner Stage 2 with other supporting mods. It cured the code and I could feel much stronger and smoother acceleration. Data logging shows it it delivers fuel as needed for some very spirited driving!

You will want to get one of these tools as well. The locking ring was so tight on mine that even with this and a breaker bar it was a challenge.

OTC 6599 Universal Fuel Pump Lock Tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, thank you for the info! You even answered the other question I needed to look into about the fuel pump lock wrench. What I'll probably end up doing is replacing the entire assembly, but rebuild the old one with a recommended pump listed above in case I ever need to replace the new one.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Did this job on a 2.0T with that tool. Ordered a Pro Parts Sweden fuel pump and it was total garbage and stalled (DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM) I'm not the only one with horror stories. had to redo it with a T1 Auto pump and everything works fine.

Just got a 2.8 with P0089 and it looks like the pump is a common culprit, I was worried about facing the same thing with this pump on a car I plan to tune but you say it checks out so I may just end up getting it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts