SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 900 convertible that needs a little work and I'm looking for some insight as to the best way to fix a couple of things with it.

1. Power steering is now out. I get this loud squeal when I crank it as well. Someone told me that's the power steering pump. I've seen the instructions on how to bleed the pump. Would that fix it or would I need to replace the pump itself?

2. Driving to pickup my daughter and nice hot anitfreeze comes through my side of the floorboard and puts a nice 3rd degree burn on my foot. Bypassed the heater core but would like to get if fixed. Can I just flush the heater core or again, need replacement?

3. Convertible "ticks" but will not move the top up or down anymore. Is there just an arm that runs this up and down?

Any help is most welcome.
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
1 Sounds as though your PS belt is loose.
2 Probably the heater valve behind the dash.
3 Check the fluid reservoir under the rear seat.

Plenty of threads to fix these in FAQ.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
2. +1
3. You can raise/lower the roof manually by undoing a valve located under a flap of carpet in the boot. The flap can be hard to see, but it's lower front right.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a 1993 900 convertible that needs a little work and I'm looking for some insight as to the best way to fix a couple of things with it.

1. Power steering is now out. I get this loud squeal when I crank it as well. Someone told me that's the power steering pump. I've seen the instructions on how to bleed the pump. Would that fix it or would I need to replace the pump itself?

2. Driving to pickup my daughter and nice hot anitfreeze comes through my side of the floorboard and puts a nice 3rd degree burn on my foot. Bypassed the heater core but would like to get if fixed. Can I just flush the heater core or again, need replacement?

3. Convertible "ticks" but will not move the top up or down anymore. Is there just an arm that runs this up and down?

Any help is most welcome.
Thanks for reading!
I would have to say the P/S belt would be the first thing to check and of course fluid level.
The antifreeze issue sounds like the heater control valve failed which is a common and easy fix for someone who's fairly handy with fixing cars. Or have someone pressure test the cooling system and see where the leak is coming from but my guess is the valve.
The "ticking" top might be one of the two relays that control the top. Easy to check.... is the tick is coming from behind you in the general location of the bottom of the rear seat?
They are two brownish colored relays… sometime a quick cleaning of the terminals and receptacle gets them to work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heater bypass value FAQ

For option 2, is that the correct FAQ? The Heater bypass value FAQ?

Also, would that have something to do with the fan no longer working as well? The fan stopped working and I disconnected the AC so the fan would run constanly while the car was on. It did until recently and now the AC and recircluation buttons will no longer depress. If it's not one thing it's another...

Finally a little good weather today so I can check on #1 and #3. The valve sounds like will take me much longer to get inspected.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Make sure your your Crankshaft Pulley (Harmonic Balancer) isn't coming apart.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sudden spillage sounds like the valve o-rings. rings can be purchased separate from the valve. P/S may not be the pump, but also the rack and hoses to it. refill and look for the drip area, then if it is not on the pump itself, clean the connections to the rack and look for leaks. However, I would consider the crank pulley change. Try marking the pulley and crank with a chalk line, then hook up a timing light and see if the marks shift from each other, or just do a couple of turns with the starter after pulling fuel pump power and the coil wire and see if it shifts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts