SaabCentral Forums banner

Need to stop the traction control from slowing me down. Cuts off all power.

197 13
I recently put 225/65R17 tires on my 2003 Saab 9-3 vector 6speed. The original size tires were 225/45R17. There is a little rubbing when hitting bumps but that’s not the issue. My traction control pops up and cuts off my power completely. Is there any way to permanently turn this off/take this out without damaging or effecting anything else?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
96 Posts
Hmm...first, I would take care about the rubbing. Not only because it's a serious safety risk, but it's also a surefire way to attract unwanted attention from the cops.

About the TC I could imagine that the ECU might detect a difference between the rotation speed of the tires and the actual speed which triggers the TC. I'm almost sure that you can deactivate the TC via TECH2 but I'm no expert in this field so you have to wait for the real experts chiming in.

·
Super Moderator
10,807 Posts
You've changed the rolling circumference of the tyre by changing the aspect ratio from 45 to 65,when you change the aspect ratio you also need to change the width of the tyre to compensate for the bigger aspect ratio ..A 175/65R17 is near to the same circumference as a 225/45R17

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've changed the rolling circumference of the tyre by changing the aspect ratio from 45 to 65,when you change the aspect ratio you also need to change the width of the tyre to compensate for the bigger aspect ratio ..A 175/65R17 is near to the same circumference as a 225/45R17
Could this potentially hurt the car?

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I'm sure that's not an option. I really don't understand how you could turn the front wheels with a 28.5" tire. Like, that is the maximum size tire I can fit on my Jeep Liberty without a lift!

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan '98 corolla until my 9-5's engine is finished:'~((
414 Posts
You basically just geared it up a little bit and you'll be going faster than odo reads because of the larger diameter. You'll also notice less direct steering response due to increase side wall flex - this will mean it handles slightly worse and you'll see some shoulder scrub under hard cornering. Curious as to why you chose to increase the sidewall aspect ratio
I guess it's a little more comfy over bumps- was that the goal?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have used this tool to make a comparision, given the facts:

Don't know about the legal shenanigans, though (in bad old Germany, this would at least earn you a ticket if the new tire size is not approved and registered in the logbook by the TÜV).

·
Registered
907 Posts
Don't know about the legal shenanigans, though (in bad old Germany, this would at least earn you a ticket if the new tire size is not approved and registered in the logbook by the TÜV).
Hugely unlikely you'll ever get actually get a fine for this on its own, but I pity you if you are involved in a crash. The insurance adjuster will come and determine that you are 100% at fault even though your car was stopped and parked and the other guy was drunk. 🙄

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hugely unlikely you'll ever get actually get a fine for this on its own, but I pity you if you are involved in a crash. The insurance adjuster will come and determine that you are 100% at fault even though your car was stopped and parked and the other guy was drunk. 🙄
Hey, you know Germany...if they want to fine you for something, they will find the respective §§. And if anything else fails, they draw §1 StVO (especially section 2).

Been there, done that.😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts