SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the seat, with memory installed, I have two memory mirror motors, I have the mirror down switch. Do I need the harness from a door? If so, do I need the wiring that goes from the mirror to the door or do I need the everything?

I found an 04 equipped with it. I'm trying to get it to work in the 08.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looking at WIS, the wiring harnesses for both mirror types are the same. You may need Tech 2 to enable the memory option.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I have added the seat and all that so it functions. I can't get the mirror down to happen yet. I have to install the motors but it looks like some are this 4 pin connector and others are a round oval connector.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, the motor connectors changed, presumably in '07. '04 is rectangular and '08 is round for the memory motor set. Regular motor connector is round for all cars. The wires are all there.

CORRECTION: All mirror connectors to mirror housing for all MYs are the round ones.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I would need the short wiring harness that goes from the motor to the rest of the door harness?

My 08 has this:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sorry, looked at a wrong connector in my first post. All the connections to the mirror housing are the same on both 04 with memory and 08 without memory (and other years/mirrors).

If you're talking about the wiring inside the mirror housing, those are different, so you'll need that or need to modify the existing one.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the wiring that goes from the motor to the clip/junction to the main door harness. It looks like a short harness, I just have to figure out how to fish it out of the mirror housing. I will report back when I have it. Thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a car at a breakers yard with memory and the existing wiring. I should be able to just pull this no?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers.

On a side note, what would it take to add mirrors that fold electronically, have memory, and auto-dimming?

I know I would need the housing, motor, and glass but would anything change in the wiring?

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Folding uses own motor, so you need to add 2 wires between DDM and mirror (or if you are lucky, you have those wires in your new wiring harnesses).
You also need folding mirrors.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Folding uses own motor, so you need to add 2 wires between DDM and mirror (or if you are lucky, you have those wires in your new wiring harnesses).
You also need folding mirrors.
I never really thought I needed the feature but now that I have taken it this far, I am wondering if I should find a set of folding\memory\dimming mirrors and install those 🤔

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
I have done this to my 9-5. I even made "facelift" i.e changed mirror glasses, frames and shells to 2010 version (with dimming).
9-3 is much easier, because you do not need to dd wires to door.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have done this to my 9-5. I even made "facelift" i.e changed mirror glasses, frames and shells to 2010 version (with dimming).
9-3 is much easier, because you do not need to dd wires to door.
Ah, nice. I just realized the electronic folding ones are back-ordered, the folding switch itself is damn near impossible to find (I remember they were hard to find a couple of years ago)

I might just stick with manually folding but I think I'm gonna go with auto-dimming.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I managed to FINALLY get the passenger to work, I went to a yard and grabbed the wiring from both mirror housings. I had to pull my mirror apart, take the de-pin cables out of the donor housings because they won't fit through the opening in the mirror with the connector attached (It's not too hard if you have a small pick or screwdriver)

Then I had to slip it into my housing and re-pin the connector.

Then I had to take the passenger donor wiring harnesses and pull the 4 center cables. This is HARD with out de-pin tools. I was able to de-pin the cables from the mirror housing using a paper clip by sticking it in from the connector side but I actually had to cut and break the this part of the clip, I would advise against it as one of my cable's clips got deformed so it was hard to reinsert -I was in the process of moving so it was hastily done.

I tried swapping the whole donor harness over initially but my speaker wouldn't work and didn't want to try and figure out although it might have been equally the same amount of work?

You will have to follow these 4 cables all the way to the end of the harness, I didn't get a good picture of this but you'll have to locate them at the end of the grey connector that goes to the switch pack. This had a black tab that slides out with a bit of careful prying.

De-pinning the cables from the grey connector side is actually easy, small pin or screw driver will do it.

I took note of the positions of these cables and popped them into the exact same positions in my car's original harness.

I will admit, I accidentally cut on of my wires cutting one of the zip ties, I re-soldered it plugged everything up and it worked! (Update, memory didn't wanna work today but I'm sure it's due to me bending a pin/will need to troubleshoot)

Now I just have to repeat the driver's side.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

The got the passenger fully functional again. One of the pins was slipping out when I plugged in the connector.

I got the driver's door done today, I came prepared with de-pinning tools but to my surprise, it was only needed for the old connector to the non memory motor. For whatever reason, the driver's door had the 4 cables needed for memory, all I did was take the connector with memory, de-pin, slip into the housing and re-pin. From there I installed the memory motor and everything functions.

It was kind of a pain to retrofit at first but if you have de-pin tools and know exactly what to grab and cut zipties carefully...and you don't mind your hands getting sticky....its not bad. Super happy I finally got it working as all my other cars had this feature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts