SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. My 9-3 convertible has multiple issues that my mechanic suggested were not worth the cost to repair. I moved the car while it was still drivable to the parking garage at my office (we used to be permitted 2 spaces) because I dreamed that I'd get it repaired one day. Well, now I am only permitted space so I am donating (sob) my Saab. Problem is, it is dead, won't jump start, and is in a garage with a 6'6" clearance. I need to get it out in the open to get towed. So, do I replace the battery? Will starting up be affected by the "brain" if the battery has been removed? Thank you for any assistance. (PS - the body is in terrific shape, as is much of the interior. Would be happy to donate to anyone in the Atlanta GA 30339 area!)

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Is the car a manual or automatic transmission?

If manual, put it in neutral. If automatic, best bet is to install a good battery and put it in neutral (engine doesn't need to be running in either case, but power needs to be on for the auto trans).

At which point, the car should be able to roll. The brakes might be stuck or corroded, in which case it will take some bumping to loosen them.

I assume you have another car (so you need the one parking space). Get a proper tow rope and a buddy, hook your car to your convertible, and pull it out. I assume that you are not going up or down super steep ramps.

As an alternative, there have to be tow truck operators who can retrieve a car from a parking garage. They have to do that all the time. If one operator doesn't want to do it, try another one. It might cost you more, of course.

Hell, if the garage is reasonably level, and the brakes aren't stuck, you should be able to roll the car out with human power. Just be careful not to let the cur run out of control on a slope! Cars are heavy and once they get doing, they ain't gonna be stopped easily from the outside.

·
Registered
18,374 Posts
Is the car a manual or automatic transmission?
Cars are heavy and once they get doing, they ain't gonna be stopped easily from the outside.

Check to make sure the emergency brake is still operating. The cables tend to rust up and not work, although in GA you might be OK. Note that the brakes in our cars don't work well when the car is off with no power boost, so it's best to have a driver in there if you are pushing it.

There's a tow hook option on the front of the OG 9-3. Viggen bumpers should have a tow hook, but it is often missing. You can remove the plastic bumper cover and tow with another car (again, limited braking with engine off) i.e.: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724666

1 - 6 of 6 Posts