SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is a bit of an emergency as I have to work tomorrow, but I have pics and videos to go with the story....so here goes, I was removing the "bypass tube" that's the tube that comes off the BOV and recirculates before the turbo...from researching I thought there was a green o-ring that was supposed to go there, as I was removing it I thought I saw the green oring fall down the cobra pipe:eek: I freaked...but I wasn't sure about if it really fell or not. There is still a black o-ring that is on the bypass tube, there is a pic of it below...the issue is that the black one is hard plastic feeling and I expected it to be softer rubber and green. Anyhow, I took off the cobra, it was actually pretty easy, BUT i didn't find the o-ring??:( So either I really didn't see it fall down the hole...which is possible...OR it fell down and somehow got past the turbo blades.. PLZ SEE THE VIDEO...it shows the inside of the turbo...which doesn't look good. There is oil in my diverter valve/BOV, inside the intake, there was a bit of oil that dripped out when I took off cobra....I think my turbo oil seal may be going out...I just don't understand why there was oil before the turbo...I've checked my PCV system check valves they seem fine.

My main question is is there supposed to be another o-ring besides the hard black one in this picture? I don't want to start my car and the other o-ring get sucked into my motor. Need to know if there is a black hard o-ring and a green one or if this is the only one. thx in advance!!

Here's link to video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x917la9j61ccwdx/VIDEO0045.mp4

you can see how dirty the turbo is in the pic...doesn't feel like it has play but didn't really check it very well. anyhow need to know about the o-ring situation. thx!

EDIT:: DOESN'T SEEM LIKE THE PICS ARE SHOWING...SO HERE'S LINKS TO THE PICS OF THE HARD BLACK ORING COPY AND PASTE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9222jad1gixgjg0/IMAG2779.jpg

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
IIRC, there is supposed to be a green o-ring down there. In my case, it was rather hard to see as it blends in with the surrounding metal quite well. I was only able to confirm it was there after I poked it with a screwdriver. It sounds weird, but go poke around and I bet you'll find the o-ring sitting in its spot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, was there a black one and a green one? Also will it kill my car if the oring runs thru turbo? Was thinking of putting a vaccum on it...I tried to see with a mirror but its hard. Wish I had the steroscopic video camera...thx again I'm checking now to see if it's there...the black one was stuck on the cobra pipe side, but as I said it is feels more like hard plastic.

IIRC, there is supposed to be a green o-ring down there. In my case, it was rather hard to see as it blends in with the surrounding metal quite well. I was only able to confirm it was there after I poked it with a screwdriver. It sounds weird, but go poke around and I bet you'll find the o-ring sitting in its spot.

·
Registered
821 Posts
There is supposed to be a green o-ring where the bypass tube enters the cobra pipe; the o-ring goes down in the hole and then the pipe is attached. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I can't find one. I'm not sure about the black o-ring or what it's supposed to do, because I only remember having the one green one. It's possible that your 2001 is different from my 2003, but I don't know.

Another thing, maybe the green o-ring is in there, but it's just stuck down and/or so dirty that you can't tell it's there. Mine was that way, as it was probably never removed in 10+ years.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
quote=nitrous9200;2826490]There is supposed to be a green o-ring where the bypass tube enters the cobra pipe; the o-ring goes down in the hole and then the pipe is attached. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I can't find one. I'm not sure about the black o-ring or what it's supposed to do, because I only remember having the one green one. It's possible that your 2001 is different from my 2003, but I don't know.

Another thing, maybe the green o-ring is in there, but it's just stuck down and/or so dirty that you can't tell it's there. Mine was that way, as it was probably never removed in 10+ years.[/quote]
Thx! See pic this is what I have....the black ring was in the same place you were describing the green one I think. Plz c pic
https://db.tt/yXyHxkBH[/IMG

Here its link [url]https://db.tt/yXyHxkBH[/url]

Will my car die if it did get past the splines somehow and into the turbo? I know it can't be good, could probably suck it or blow it to the intercooler....

·
Registered
588 Posts
The O ring won't get sucked into the engine. I don't think it could get in between the fins. But... if it did. It cant get past the inter cooler.
Did you try and spin the turbo by hand?
If not try now. Does it spin freely?

Yes= I'd put it back together and not worry about it. It won't be able to get up through the thin (1/4") grove. (You have to rebuild the turbo because of an oil leak anyway... Find it then.)

No= Then there is an O ring in the turbo...I would use compressed air to blow it further into the turbo... (Into the slot I mentioned above. If it begins to spin freely see above. It can't get anywhere else in there.) Pic of my turbo. TD04HL-15

On my cobra there is a little L shaped metal piece that the bolt pushes down into the hole that the lip of the tube with the green O ring. Do you have the little L shaped metal piece?

If so is it strait? L shaped or is it kind of L shaped? It should be the first example if it was pushing down on one O ring. It will bend pretty easily if you have 2 O rings in there. (They are pretty thick.)
Do you recall if the L and the bolt were flush with the flat part of the cobra they bolt to? If so and the L is the shape it's supposed to be then there was likely only one O ring. The black one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have the L shaped piece the original reason I took it apart because there was so much play on the pipe going to the Cobra anyhow there isn't a green oring I can find anywherethe turbo spin but not freely I can move it with my fingers but it doesn't just keep spinning and spinning like it probably should I don't think it's because of the Rings I think it's because that the turbois going out. thanks for the replies I'm going to put it back together todayI feel more comfortable now but can anyone confirm that the o ring is hard plastic I thought it would be soft squishy rubbery lime an ac oring. . Don't want to put it back together if I should be using another pc. Thx again...looks like my turbo is about toast....that explains the smoke at startup on occasion and my boost issues....makes me mad because the dealer said they checked the turbo a couple months ago and it looks brand new

·
Registered
588 Posts
"the dealer said they checked the turbo a couple months ago and it looks brand new"
From the outside...
If your tube was loose then you didn't have a green O ring. Just the black hard one.
I found the black O rings get really hard and misshaped. They must react with oil or just dry out.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone I appreciate the replies I got it all back together its running fine but I believe I do need a green a ring which I'm ordering from eeuroparts Monday....Thx everybody for the help! Done with the stealership

"the dealer said they checked the turbo a couple months ago and it looks brand new"
From the outside...
If your tube was loose then you didn't have a green O ring. Just the black hard one.
I found the black O rings get really hard and misshaped. They must react with oil or just dry out.
Good luck with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts