SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the leader of the household wants my new spg to replace the 900s. 900s needs a few things fixing so I can give it to this one friend who needs it!

1986 900s, 230 k miles. Original engine + tranny (no rebuilds mwuhaha still runs). So, I thought the fuel pump was dying on the 900. For the last 2-3k miles, it'd start whining when the tank got low. That sound and noise went away, the new annoyance is this massive jerking when cruising/acclerating. person A and I thought it was fuel cutting in and out, but I dont think so anymore. person b thinks it's as simple as a vacuum leak somewhere. Papa thinks new cap & rotor will help... dunno wat to do but i need to fix it quick!

It happens mostly around 1500-2200 rpm. for example, il be chillin in 3rd, and all of a sudden it'll start jerking, like semi-fuel cut... the only reason i dont think its the fuel pump -> once the jerkiness starts, i can jab the gas and the jerking will get worse 5 fold instantaneously, wouldnt it take longer for the fuel pump to react?

Thanks in advance guys...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Check for vacuum leakes and the condition of the cap, rotor and wires first, 'cause that's the cheapest stuff, and you might get lucky, but I suspect you'll find your problem with w fuel pressure gauge. Just go through the diagnostics, system by system until you isolate and identify your problem. It's not as much fun as throwing new parts at a car, but it's a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
392 Posts
When I bought my 900 it did the same thing, as well as spit black smoke out the ***** pipe. Turns out the original owner let it sit for a little while with hardly any petrol in it. Put some new premium in and that seemed to help. Then I changed the fuel filter and havn't had a problem since. Sounds like your car may have been sitting for a little bit?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Turboy said:
1986 900s, 230 k miles. Original engine + tranny (no rebuilds mwuhaha still runs). So, I thought the fuel pump was dying on the 900. For the last 2-3k miles, it'd start whining when the tank got low. That sound and noise went away,(...)
It may not have "went away", rather fuel tank level masked another problem (pre-pump). Might want to read this thread... frames 3-6.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so im gonna order cap and rotor and bougicord wire set and spark plugs. mebe some hoses too. after that, iono, il start looking around and make a more solid attempt at diagnosing it.

it doesnt sit much, i drive it 4-6 days outta the week...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts