SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I think I will go with Mort but buy Pilot sport 3. If you folks go on the Tire rack web site there is useful information on there. The UTQG value will help you decide. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48&

higher UTQG numbers wear better/grip less / cost less generally speaking

lower UTQG numbers wear faster/grip more/cost a lot more.

Michelin on Tire rack :245/40/18 my size.

AS 3 500 AAA 191.00 Each less a 70 dollar mail in rebate. ( us prices. Costco has the same deal in Canada for 70 off but I did not price it here)

Pilot cup 2 180 AAA 225 or 280 each.

My choice is easy. New Michelin cup 3 tires are a rave right now but my aero combi is n;ot a track car. Period.

For EdT I had DWS contis they were horrible for belt shift ; I got warranty on a couple, and then just took them off and gave them away. I bought Khumo Exsta for 65 each on ebay ; a 2012 dated tire heck of a deal! they lasted three seasons, but the last year cold flat spot vibration was nuts and tire noise was loud. For 65 bux each I didn't care. Glad to get rid of them, really look forward to the Michelin... Mort leads the way....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think I will go with Mort but buy Pilot sport 3. If you folks go on the Tire rack web site there is useful information on there. The UTQG value will help you decide. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48&

higher UTQG numbers wear better/grip less / cost less generally speaking

lower UTQG numbers wear faster/grip more/cost a lot more.

Michelin on Tire rack :245/40/18 my size.

AS 3 500 AAA 191.00 Each less a 70 dollar mail in rebate. ( us prices. Costco has the same deal in Canada for 70 off but I did not price it here)

Pilot cup 2 180 AAA 225 or 280 each.

My choice is easy. New Michelin cup 3 tires are a rave right now but my aero combi is n;ot a track car. Period.

For EdT I had DWS contis they were horrible for belt shift ; I got warranty on a couple, and then just took them off and gave them away. I bought Khumo Exsta for 65 each on ebay ; a 2012 dated tire heck of a deal! they lasted three seasons, but the last year cold flat spot vibration was nuts and tire noise was loud. For 65 bux each I didn't care. Glad to get rid of them, really look forward to the Michelin... Mort leads the way....
That's a good sum of money per tire. I would spring for it if I didn't have to replace all 4 rims, but I'll still keep a look out. I know last time I went truck tire shopping michelin had a rebate 70 back as you mentioned. Seems the DWS06 tires are 50/50 sum good luck some bad. The cheapy tires I have are 320 wear rating. I have a truck with a full size spare that has a higher rating lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had really good luck with BF Goodrich Comp2-A/S on my ‘11 9-5 Aero when I had it. Fantastic all around performers and still had a decent treadwear rating.
I never considered BF for a saab. I know they are good tires perfect for daily driver

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
That's a good sum of money per tire. I would spring for it if I didn't have to replace all 4 rims, but I'll still keep a look out. I know last time I went truck tire shopping michelin had a rebate 70 back as you mentioned. Seems the DWS06 tires are 50/50 sum good luck some bad. The cheapy tires I have are 320 wear rating. I have a truck with a full size spare that has a higher rating lol
lol/ I just sold my summer rims and tires. I bought used Sky Redline wheels in Michigan this month (same as I had) but like new take offs, 11 years old stored that long. Not a blemish. So all winter to look for those Michelins with a deal. The 70 off thing expires before xmas at Costco...……

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
lol/ I just sold my summer rims and tires. I bought used Sky Redline wheels in Michigan this month (same as I had) but like new take offs, 11 years old stored that long. Not a blemish. So all winter to look for those Michelins with a deal. The 70 off thing expires before xmas at Costco...……
Costco? I wonder if wallyworld can get them...(it's closer). I'll look tomorrow see if they have them. I know they carry michelin

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's really odd - looking at the Tire rack link - It seems that Pilot Sport 4 is not available in a 16" rim size in the US.

The Tyres I have are 205/50/16 91W. They cost me about NZD$220 each on sale, which is about USD$140.

It seems like you've got lots of good advice.
The Tyres that came with my 9-3 when I got it, were Headway HU901 in the same size on the front and some older different tyres on the rear (about 9 years) and only had about 3mm of tread all round.
Technically they were legal to drive on, but I felt safer changing them.
Find a good brand - then wait for a good deal, assuming you can wait.
Don't forget to tell us about your choice etc.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd do summers if not driving in the winter. As mentioned they really out perform all seasons. You can get cheap ones and they still work well. I run Summitos on my Porsche and they are great. Seem quite durable, sticky, predictable and long lasting. I think I got 40k miles out of my last set. The Saab might chew them up faster but I was also pretty tail happy in the Porsche and couldn't resist a nice powerslide when conditions allowed 🙂

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I'm really compelled, but I still have to consider the michelin and Dunlop/good years too. They are all priced similarly. How do your rears wear?
I don't think any different from the fronts. But the rear suspension was done: all bushings, new springs (had broken ones) and new shocks. So it's not sagging or running funny camber there.

Scuffing hmm. My other saab is 205 this is 215 yet my Speedo is still 5mph too fast. Anyways do you over inflate yours a hair?
I find that both my 900 and 9-3 show about 5 km/h fast, at all speeds, and with the proper tire sizes entered via Tech II. The ECU, if I check, seems to know the actual speed. I figure it's a programmed-in adjustment to keep you from speeding.

A bit of overinflation doesn't seem to make much difference. I'd probably have to pump them up as much as I'd try at an autocross to really have them perform like ultra-stiff-sidewall, low-profile tires. As it is, combine very good grip with fairly tall sidewalls, and yes some tire deflection will occur if I get silly.

Also, I don't think they are ideal for pulling a heavy 9-5 up a very steep loose gravel track, as I had to turn off ESP to keep the car from bogging right down.

ETA: I think the Tire Rack comparison test is a fair description of the Contis; without driving the rest, can't really comment on them: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

My 9-5 wagon isn't a track car, so I don't want it behaving like one. Predicable and confident handling is good, and as much wet traction as I can get is also good. (Memories of my old Firebird on BF Goodrich Radial T/As of the 1980s, when it didn't matter if I stepped on the gas pedal or brake pedal, the rear wheels were going to lose traction almost immediately.)

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Costco? I wonder if wallyworld can get them...(it's closer). I'll look tomorrow see if they have them. I know they carry michelin
Walmart.com
Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 3+ Ultra-High Perfor ...
Average rating:4.875out of5stars, based on8reviews
ratings

Current Price
$130.99
Sold & shipped by
BestWheelsOnline
Free shipping that's for Morts 205 50 16 size

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
For EdT I had DWS contis they were horrible for belt shift ; I got warranty on a couple, and then just took them off and gave them away.

I had the same problem with them. (I may have posted that in this thread already :) If you check the reviews at Tire Rack you will see that most people are happy with them, but some run into the belt/lump issue. It's been a problem for them since they first came out.

I would stick with Michelin AS3's unless the budget prevents it. Round, true, and it doesn't change. Like all tires, ignore how they feel when first mounted - they need 1000 miles to clean off the squirm.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I had the same problem with them. . Like all tires, ignore how they feel when first mounted - they need 1000 miles to clean off the squirm.
troof. Its mould release on the tire in the manufacturing process according to engineers I have talked to, but a thousand miles is a long time. Round the block hard does it for me lol

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
They seem to loose the initial slickness in a couple hundred miles, but the sidewalls seem to take longer to settle into place so that they react firmly to turn in. Maybe it's my imagination :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's really odd - looking at the Tire rack link - It seems that Pilot Sport 4 is not available in a 16" rim size in the US.

The Tyres I have are 205/50/16 91W. They cost me about NZD$220 each on sale, which is about USD$140.

It seems like you've got lots of good advice.
The Tyres that came with my 9-3 when I got it, were Headway HU901 in the same size on the front and some older different tyres on the rear (about 9 years) and only had about 3mm of tread all round.
Technically they were legal to drive on, but I felt safer changing them.
Find a good brand - then wait for a good deal, assuming you can wait.
Don't forget to tell us about your choice etc.
Yes lots of advice more than I was expecting. Seems the continental are low on the expectations list. I have to get new wheels all 4 are bent to hell. Then I'll get tires and report back. The hard part is finding wheels then coming up with the monies. I just want the stock wheels I don't like modding my cars, been there done that. I prefer stock and to maintain new condition.

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
I have the continetal pro contact dws and am happy.
How long have you had them / how many miles?

I have to get new wheels all 4 are bent to hell.
I see you're in Vermont... lots of sets of 16" wheels for sale in New England.
The only trouble is finding some that are straight. If you can't spin them with a pointer to check true/round before you buy, it's hard to tell if they are in spec.

You can get yours straightened if they are just a bit out of round for somewhere under $100 each... although at that price, it often makes sense to buy from a remanufacturer because they will send you a set all painted and trued. Just make sure they guarantee a spec of +/- 1mm - that's the Saab WIS requirement (and in my experience, a driving requirement).

21 - 40 of 46 Posts