SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I need some advice on tires. I have 16" wheels. Looking for a set of good all season tires. I do not drive it in winter so forget about winter tires. I need something with good wet traction and dry traction and long lasting. They don't need to be soft compound for comfort on account of the already soft suspension. I wanted continental dws or some dunlops, but heard the conti do not last long. Dunlops are 50/50. So need some suggestions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't drive it in winter - what's the lowest temperature you drive in then?
Well I will not drive this car in snow since VT loves their rock salt. Instead I drive a car I do not own. I have another Saab that I was planning to fix up (still might) and maybe make it the winter beater. Anyways usually as soon as the state and town starts throwing salt I winterize and store it away. It's hard to imagine not driving the car but I HATE RUST more. So have some suggestions as far as tires. People swear by those conti extreme contact dws, but the all say the tires simply wear out too fast and at 113 each...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my 9-3.
Size 205/50/16. - Its the standard size for my Aero. They are a bit expensive - but its a quality thing also.
You might want to consider Goodyear Eagle F1's.
A good comparison site is this: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/.
Its got technical info and also breaks it down.
I don't know what the similar US site is called but it could help with your research.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't drive in winter, just put on summer tires. Immensely better in wet and dry traction than any all season.
Maybe I missworded my original question. I'm looking for a suggestion as to a particular brand and model tire that a person can suggest I consider buying based on their personal experiences.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my 9-3.
Size 205/50/16. - Its the standard size for my Aero. They are a bit expensive - but its a quality thing also.
You might want to consider Goodyear Eagle F1's.
A good comparison site is this: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/.
Its got technical info and also breaks it down.
I don't know what the similar US site is called but it could help with your research.
Hope it helps.
Thanks for your reply Mott. I'll have to check those out. Price isn't a big issue as tires are the most important, but the tires have to last some time.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mott. I'll have to check those out. Price isn't a big issue as tires are the most important, but the tires have to last some time.
Mott made a good choice.
You want long lasting wear then you wont have good grip generally.

good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mott made a good choice.
You want long lasting wear then you wont have good grip generally.

good luck.
Yeah that's true harder compound. Well I think I could still get good wet traction with a harder compound based on the threads. I just hate to buy a good tire that might only last 25000 miles at the most. People swear by those conti tires I mentioned, but they say they definitely do not last long. On some cars 5000 miles others about 20000. To be honest anything has to be a step up from the cheap brand tires I current have on the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Some more info:

Michelins in New Zealand & Australia are expensive - but they tend to last.
I had Michelins on a brand new non-Saab Front-wheel drive (Opel/holden), that came as OEM and they lasted approx 45,000 km.
Pirelli's I find are a little softer. - Our family had Pirelli's on a 900 (85) and they didn't last like say michelin's or Dunlops.
So based on that history - I didn't mind paying a premium for my Michelin's. Also, the Pilot Sport 4 seemed to score extremely good marks in all the tests. As I don't have to worry about snow in this part of New Zealand - I could choose a more 'summer' orientated performance.

You'll also need to consider the surface you'll be driving on mainly - as some softer brands are more subject to 'rock' punctures if you are driving on dirt/un-sealed roads.
Cheap rubber from China might have a good tread pattern but personally, I'd go with a known brand.

Happy Shopping.
MORT.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some more info:

Michelins in New Zealand & Australia are expensive - but they tend to last.
I had Michelins on a brand new non-Saab Front-wheel drive (Opel/holden), that came as OEM and they lasted approx 45,000 km.
Pirelli's I find are a little softer. - Our family had Pirelli's on a 900 (85) and they didn't last like say michelin's or Dunlops.
So based on that history - I didn't mind paying a premium for my Michelin's. Also, the Pilot Sport 4 seemed to score extremely good marks in all the tests. As I don't have to worry about snow in this part of New Zealand - I could choose a more 'summer' orientated performance.

You'll also need to consider the surface you'll be driving on mainly - as some softer brands are more subject to 'rock' punctures if you are driving on dirt/un-sealed roads.
Cheap rubber from China might have a good tread pattern but personally, I'd go with a known brand.

Happy Shopping.
MORT.
I wish you didn't mention the softer compounds are prone to puncture with rocks. Vermont is pothole city!

As far as China tires. They were on the car when I bought it. I really only like European brand tires, but there aren't many left. I'm current deciding between michelin, good year, continental, and Dunlop. I've had Hankook and they're okay, but I have a hard time sticking Asian tires on European car just doesn't settle in the stomach

·
Registered
280 Posts
Even WRC cars running on Michelins etc get stone damage.
The only reason why I mentioned it was because - when I was getting the tyres fitted - the guy that does the vehicle checks remarked that I had made a good choice, as some 'metal' (or gravel) roads here were causing damage to certain other brands due to changes in the compounds used.
Here are some Saab orientated comments: I've selected 9-3 2.0T as an example.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Saab-Automobile/2.0T-(210bhp).htm

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even WRC cars running on Michelins etc get stone damage.
The only reason why I mentioned it was because - when I was getting the tyres fitted - the guy that does the vehicle checks remarked that I had made a good choice, as some 'metal' (or gravel) roads here were causing damage to certain other brands due to changes in the compounds used.
Here are some Saab orientated comments: I've selected 9-3 2.0T as an example.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Saab-Automobile/2.0T-(210bhp).htm
Had no idea. I'll look into everything you have mentioned for sure. I'm a bit surprised how my rims are badly bent without any obvious tire damage. My rear wheels the inner of the rim has a bad bend in the bead flange. My guess is because of the chamber issues with the rear. I have to address the rims when I get tires too and check the geometry too so it doesn't happen again. Saab life lol

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
The Continental DWS06 tires on my 9-5 seem to be doing fine after a couple of summers, and maybe 20,000 km. I'd have to actually measure the tread to see how much has worn.

·
Super Moderator
9,235 Posts
Maybe I missworded my original question. I'm looking for a suggestion as to a particular brand and model tire that a person can suggest I consider buying based on their personal experiences.
Well I was getting to that, was waiting for your response.

Hankook Ventus V12 Summers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Continental DWS06 tires on my 9-5 seem to be doing fine after a couple of summers, and maybe 20,000 km. I'd have to actually measure the tread to see how much has worn.
How's the grip? Those were my first choice initially.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Pretty impressive. I'm running 215/55-16 versions. They hold on very well, with no squealing and minimal ploughing. On the other hand, at normal inflation levels, that will scuff the sidewalls down to the sidewall lettering. But you only know that when you inspect the tires at the end of the trip. And that is going into curves at the bottom of steep valleys, marked "60 km/h", at 110+ km/h.

ETA: I am not sure how much wet weather driving I've done, but whatever it's been, the traction has been fine, too. I bought them because they're all-season and therefore driveable in spring and fall, when there are days that are too cold for summer-only tires. I think they've done okay then, too.

The turn-in is pretty natural, too. It's not "hey check out my super-sharp turn-in", but the car naturally goes where you want it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Pretty impressive. I'm running 215/55-16 versions. They hold on very well, with no squealing and minimal ploughing. On the other hand, at normal inflation levels, that will scuff the sidewalls down to the sidewall lettering. But you only know that when you inspect the tires at the end of the trip.
I'm really compelled, but I still have to consider the michelin and Dunlop/good years too. They are all priced similarly. How do your rears wear?

Scuffing hmm. My other saab is 205 this is 215 yet my Speedo is still 5mph too fast. Anyways do you over inflate yours a hair?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All 4 are bent like this. It's probably these crap northeastern roads. I also need to replace the alarm siren. I went to replace the battery and caps and lost my good patience, needless to say a 20oz hammer put the thing out of my misery. I hate GM for going from a serviceable unit to a glued unit. Among other things I disgust GM for

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
I had really good luck with BF Goodrich Comp2-A/S on my ‘11 9-5 Aero when I had it. Fantastic all around performers and still had a decent treadwear rating.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
14 Participants
Mort
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing