SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the best of the best to help me with this one.

Where to start?
I have a 2003 9-3 w/2.0L.
My mechanical skills - on a scale of 1 to 10 - maybe between 5-6.
This is a nightmare. My problem started 2 months ago. Wife called and car stalled on Highway - I tow it home.

1. Car will not start. Go to forums and learn it could be a couple of problem- fuel or ignition. Fuel pumps works and plenty of pressure.

2. I think it may be the crankcase sensor - replace that and car still won't start.

3. Friend tells me to smell the DIM for burnt odors. Yep, can smell burnt odors. Order a used DIM and install. Car started and ran but with no power. Drove down the road 1/4 mile, white smoke blowing out of the tail pipe. Lift hood and see oil blowing out from exhaust/turbo.

4. Order/install new aftermarket turbo. Car will start and run less than 1 minute.

5. Remove turbo and find oil in hose from turbo to intercooler. Drain oil from intercoooler and blow out best I can with air. Pull plugs and put fresh set in.

6. Reinstall turbo and try to start car. Again, runs for 1 minute and quits. try starting it again and tuns for 40 seconds and quits. Try again and runs for 30 seconds and quits. Try again and will not start. Has to sit for awhile before trying to start.

7. Look in throttle body, full of oil. Take throttle body off and clean. Reinstall and try to start. Same thing - starts and runs for 1 minute, then 40 seconds, 30 seconds and doesn't start.

8. Looked into cylinder and see standing oil on cylinder head. Blow out with air and dry with some heat. Clean plugs and try again. This time it ran for maybe 1 1/2 minutes, then 60 seconds, 30 seconds and then doesn't start.

9. Tried step 8 four more times. Clean plugs and try to start. 60,40,30 and won't start.

Wow, how could the replacing the DIM lead to so many problems? I checked all the hose connections and they are all connected. Had a friend who is a Certified GM Cadillac mechanic over the other night. He helped me with step 8 and 9. He says he's dumbfounded.

What to do next?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Sorry, Bois, I forget this -
Welcome to Saab Central
The best of the best is a team effort, the ball is in everyone's court, including Haynes, WIS, other sites..and of course our OP,Bois...
The full service and diagnosis, have they been done ? This is the first step.
Has a compression test ever been done ?
This is part of the full service.
An opinion, for what its worth(probably nothing), is that the engine is shot:cry:....all that oil all over the place....has blowby caused this?
What kind of condition is the engine vent system?
And, it helps to post in the "right section", there are many differences between the old and newer Saab 9-3, so a different section of the forum is used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, when I posted on this forum, I thought I would check back in a few days or weeks and see if anybody responded.
It appears I have the emergency response team working on this. What a warm welcoming to Saab Central.

Mister Bean - 2002 93 SE, 2.0L

earthworm -
Full service diagnosis No, I did not perform a full service diagnosis, nor the compression test. I really don't know how to perform a full service diagnosis. I can get my mechanic friend to help me w/the compression test.
Is the engine shot? I wouldn't think so, as I said, I drove it for a 1/4 mile before it quit. I think the reason it quit was all the oil sucked from the intercooler into the throttle body, choked it out.
Where did the oil come from? - Well, the old turbo was full of oil. From what I understand is when the turbo fails, it sucks engine oil into the turbo and pushes it out the exhaust and thru the intercooler.
Engine vent system - I don't know where that is?
Post in the right section? Sorry, didn't really know what section to post in. Can this be moved?

Cm452 - 2002 93 SE, 2.0L, hatchback. Compression test first - OK, this might take a couple of days. I have to get my mechanic friend back to help me with this.

You know what puzzles me the most - how the problem with the DIM leads into so many more problems.

Thanks again for the quick response, looks like I got the "A" team working on this. I'll monitor this hourly.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Something is seriously wrong. As earthworm noted, have compression test done.

I would take the car to a Saab mechanic before throwing more parts.

Please let us know what the problem was and what the solution was. So often, people report their problems and we never hear from them again. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Rotate!
I'm not going to put anymore new parts in it.
It'll be a couple of days before I can do the compression test. I'll let you know the results.

If I solve this problem, I'll be happy to post the results.

Is this some kind of test to see if I can solve the problem on my own before I can become part of the "A" team??:cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1047355
I use the term "engine vent", most use "PVC system", same thing. Saaboheme explains it well, indeed.
Full engine service...
All systems and devices are checked over, all vacuum lines, fuel hoses and filter, belts, coolant hoses, thermostat checked, the compression test,ect.
Spark plugs are removed and read, changed if necessary.
The battery and alternator are checked and measured, terminals are cleaned.
The mechanic should have the previous records, and must converse with the owner; much as a doctor talks with his patient.
In the olden days, the valves were adjusted, the points were re-newed, cap and wires were cleaned and checked, even the head was removed and the carbon was cleaned from the chambers and valves..the carb was adjusted and the bolts were tightened..a lot to this...much knowledge required.
And I probably have forgotten some items.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
'97 Saab SE Turbo - No anti-freeze in the oil or oil in anti-freeze.

earthworm - Thanks for the instructions. I'll check over all systems and devices this weekend.

St3mpy - The wife said the car started to stutter and quit.

:confused: One thing I forgot to post. After I installed the DIM, I drove the car to the grocery store. It ran but did not have much power. As I got to the grocery store the car stalled, I went in and did my shopping. When I came out the car statred up and I drove it home. Again, the car ran but didn't have much power. There is a small uphill grade on the way home, the car had a hard time making the grade. The round trip was about 10 miles.

I thought it was the spark plugs, so I changed them. Started the car and went about 1/4 mile, started smoking, I mean so much smoke you couldn't see out the windows. Then it quit and hasn't run since.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
'97 Saab SE Turbo - No oil in anti-freeze and no anti-freeze in oil.
earthworm - Thanks for the instructions. I'll the full engine service this weekend.
St3mpy - The wife said the car started to stutter and eventually quit.

:confused: NOTE: Something I forgot to put in my original post.
After replacing the DIM, the car started and idled. I drove it to the grocery store, it was sluggish with little power, it stalled as I was parking it. When I came out of the store, the car started up and I drove it home. The engine was sluggish, it had no power. When you'd floor it, the engine would bog down. There is a small grade on the road home, and the car barely made it to the top. Round trip about 10 miles.
After that trip the car wouldn't start, so I replaced the plugs. The car started and I drove it for 1/4 mile before it started smoking and quit. There was so much smoke you couldn't see out of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
St3mpy - earthworm - '97 Saab SE Turbo - rotate - everready1937 - Cm452 - Mister Bean

I read post asking for help and when you get to the end of the thread - many times you don't know if the person fix their problem or not. I just wanted to thank you guys for responding to my cry for help. It was your concern, suggestions and directions that help me through this problem.

I followed all of your advice, did a compression check, tested the vacuum lines, checked all electrical connections, check all hose connections, did a thorough diagnostics. We even checked the timing chain to see if it was TDC.

After all that, when you tried to start the car, it would run for 60 seconds and quit, try starting it again and run for 40 seconds, try again and run for 30 seconds, after that it would not start.

Let it sit for an hour and start the whole process over, same results.

My friend is a certified GM Cadillac mechanic, he was dumbfounded. He called his friend who was the top mechanic at the local Saab dealership, he couldn't figure it out. We tried everything, nothing solved the problem.

I was at a parts store this morning and a old mechanic was listening to our conversation. He said take it for what it's worth, but your car isn't breathing. A car take air in and it has to exhaust it to run. The reason your car won't run is the Catalytic converter is plugged.

I ran home, disconnected the exhaust from the turbo and tried to start the car. The old mechanic was right, the car started right up and ran like a top.

So, again, thanks for your help and maybe you can put this trick in your bag to help others.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts