SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there with a Vert, have you done any work on the convertible motors/mechanicals?

My 02 Vert soft top is now hitting the tonneau cover when I put the top down. It isn't much and has not caused any damage as yet; but I would like to correct the issue if possible. Preferably without the Stealership's involvement as they said about $300 for an adjustment and top off of the hydraulics...:evil:

Does the 9-3 Haynes manual cover soft tops in it? I would be willing to shell out for the manual if it does (Planning to get one anyway, just hadn't yet)

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like your roof (or more specifically the timing of the movement of fifth bow and tonneau) need reprogramming and, as that needs Tech 2 means a trip to the dealer or a well equipped independent.

There is a load of information here on the roof, scroll down to the body category, especially in the files 'Convertible Top Diagnosis (PDF)' and 'Convertible Top Programming (PDF)'. These cover the 900 which has an electric roof but as far as I know, the hydraulic roof on the 9-3 operates on the same principles.

I doubt if the Haynes manual would cover the roof in any great detail.

Andy

·
Registered
997 Posts
Toping off the hydraulic fluid is easy. It sits below the pass way between the truck and the back seat. I would use genuie saab fluid though, which is fairly expensive (like 20 bucks for a bottle or something like that).

Adjusting the top, not to sure about that. A wis manual would help you more than the haynes.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aah, thanks for the links. It looks like I have a twisted tonneau shaft and a programming issue combined. (most likely; from the symptoms I have going)

$$$ to the Stealership it is then :cry:

Better to know though ;) thanks again!

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
99Saabnut said:
Aah, thanks for the links. It looks like I have a twisted tonneau shaft and a programming issue combined. (most likely; from the symptoms I have going)

$$$ to the Stealership it is then :cry:

Better to know though ;) thanks again!
NO YOU DON'T

You have a 9-3 that link is for the 900's top. You don't have tha twisted shaft issue! Topping the fluid will tell you if there's anything wrong. Do you see a meassge on the SID????

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aah very true thanks for the catch. ;) I started on those pages and moved to the 9-3 pages but they don't have anything more there. I am assuming the 9-3 top works much the same as far as the design and operation. Just the hydraulic vs electric change really. There is no display message on the SID, no.

My tonneau Slaps down hard on closing, and the 1st Bow of the top hits the tonneau when it is going into the boot. It could be fluid yes, but I haven't checked yet.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aah, since this topic seems to be continuing :cheesy: Just wanted to update all and say I had not had a chance to check the levels yet. Too much rain and cold in my area for me to need to right now anyway :evil:

I hope to take a look at the fluid levels and the operation a bit this weekend, so I'll let you all know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts