SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned Saab's and own Saab's now. I'm very familiar with all cars prior to 2004. But the newer ones I am very green too.
I want to get a 2004-2007 Convertible. I'm pretty sure I want the Aero. I like the extra power, seats, suspension, steering wheel and side skirts.
But I have read TERRIBLE reviews of these newer 9-3's. People seem to have loads of electrical problems. Do any of you recommend certain years over others?
I thought I'd go 2006 or newer to get the V6 Turbo. Unless the 4 cylinder Turbo is better from 04-05. And do you guys recommended the 2007 with the updated dash? I would assume the newer dash style had less electrical issues than the button heavy models from 2004-2006.
Any advice would be great.
Thank you all in advance for any opinions you have. Money isn't the issue as much as just getting the best year car. ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
telling about my car, no electric issues.
I have been in the dealer for a couple of times, once for oil change and for coolant tank, replaced for the new one.
during 36000kms without issues,, the coolant tank is an old problem than is already solved.
2007 V6 is a good car.:D no modifications at all.:D

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
According to Mkaresh's research, the 06 has the highest rate of repair:

We have updated results for the Saab 9-3 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 95

2006: 105

2005: 89

2004: 75

2003: 102

The 2006 is worse than average, the others are about average.
Small sample sizes for the 2003, 2004, and 2005, so these results are less precise than the others.

Thank you, once again, to average who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Saab 9-3 reliability comparisons http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php

Yes the 03 his second, but it's also 6 years old. at the time of this report in 09, see above link for updated results...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I think 2007 may be where I try to go. Looks like 2006 you may want to stay away from. Looks like the research I've done seems like a lot of these cars get the cooling tank replaced with a newer part. And some kind of window problem that doesn't allow the windows to go up all the way?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
2004 Rules!! :D

I don't think you really have anything super serious to worry about. One repair a year for most of these cars doesn't sound too bad. Most of them are several years old now.

Not sure about verts, but we have relatively few electrical problems, especially when you consider how many electronic gizmos we have. If you really like a particular one, just test all the electric stuff. If it all works you have little to worry about.

It is true that a few folks on the list have had window issues, but I think this had something to do with the pinch protection circuit. Anyhow, it doesn't sound like a huge problem for most folks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the pinch protection circuit?
One thing I've always liked about Saab is it really seems like you get a lot of car for the money in the used market.
Anyone worried about Saab not being imported anymore and GM not fixing them under warranty?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Anyone worried about Saab not being imported anymore and GM not fixing them under warranty?
yes, this is a question without answer by now.......... we all of us have lost the GM privileges about the car prices; Holland is an expressive country, let see what is next...
for dealers, I think is going in the same way service but getting apart from GM branches.
see some info in SE Pennsylvania Saab Club and say hi to the member there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts