SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it weird posting in the 900 section considering i am a die hard 9000 owner

but the reason for this is b/c i recently got news of a buddy of mine offered me his 91 900 turbo for about 600$ he said the tranny has problems he thinks its the slave cylinder. i would like to know if its a hard job. also if its worth it the motor has about 210,xxx on it and the turbo seems to spool fine.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
might sort out with just new fluid /.bleed, as I had problem clutch , but bled the system and the black crap that came out, clutch miles better after
don't forget to fill up as you bleed, as the clutch level is inside the brake level container and sits high inside so although there is plenty of fluid for the brakes, you can empty the clutch bit easy.. how do I know?? been there and then had to rebleed it again lol:cheesy:
and for that price it would be gone in the UK even if not perfect car..have a look at ebay uk site on the 900's and see what they go for

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I got my wife's black '89 turbo for $200 and have put a total of $700 into it including the original purchase. It is rust free and has very few cosmetic blemishes. She has driven it every day for over 6 months now and has had no issues at all. For $200, I was able to drive the car home no problem. All it needed was some grease on the window regulator, a front wheel bearing (I just replaced the spindles with a good used pair), some fluid changes (engine/transmission oils) and a bath. Since then, to get up to the current $700 total, I've added a full SPG panel kit (which I bought for $20 in Calgary), SPG rims ($150), SPG springs ($20), Buffalo Grey leather interior in excellent condition with Buffalo Grey panels, knee bolster and carpet ($100), rear window louvers ($15), recovered headliner ($75), replaced dash with a crack free example ($15), replaced all vacuum lines with new ($25), installed Red APC ($12), and installed a CD player ($100). OK, it's actually up to $732 now. ;)

I come across cars in that price range all the time now and if you are patient you'll find one that is not only cheap, but also in good driveable shape. Of the four 900s I currently own, the original purchase prices were $0 for my '85 (bad transmission), $200 for the '89, $300 for my '86 sedan, and $350 for my '86 turbo convertible (with 5-speed) of which fewer than 400 were made world wide. I've also read that possibly only 50 were made with 5-speeds.

I saw a presumably running SPG in San Francisco the other day that was $300 and appeared to be in good overall condition other than some very flat paint. There was an '85 SPG in Seattle last fall for $800 and it appeared to be in nearly mint condition (guy never called me back), also running according to the ad. The point is that 900s are typically incredibly inexpensive and any 900 that needs mechanical work is often doomed to be under $500 regardless of how nice the rest of the car is. It would really have to be something special for me to pay over $500 while it needs work simply because if it's not something fantastic then I know something just as good will come along soon for less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts